Drumroll PLEASE...New Toy Alert!!!

Use this section for all other firearms
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

After all the research I could do...after all the suggestions / opinions / recommendations from my extended forum family, I was able to convice my son to bubba my Norinco SKS and create his own Evil Black Rifle and shoot inexpensive 7.62x39...thus saving the expense of picking up a new / similar / yet not quite the extreme Evil Blackness that he originally desired.
So off to a gun shop today to search for a black resin stock etc., etc., etc.
And what do we find but one of my choices for a middle of the road (in cost at least) Kel-Tec SU-16 in .223 :-/ :'( :-/

Yup...it followed me home, so my sks stays original and now I got this!
Light, portable, foldable, picatinny rail, bi-pod and 2 10 round AR15 mags...in the illustrious 223 caliber...$400 OTD! It is used but like new...haven't been to the range yet. I need to find a downloadable owner's manual...anybody remember that link to all the manuals?!?! I need to break this down and do some housework before I do any range time. I did lots of research and I think I got a very nice rifle here...I almost searched out a Kel-Tec SUb 2000 in 9mm but decided it was a little too Flash Gordon in appearance.

I like this alot and actually hid pictures from my son to keep him from wanting one...until we stumbled across one and at less than half the price of an AR and with lots of accessories like the AR stock, forearm, mags etc we are in hog heaven. 8-)
Last edited by carguy on April 12th, 2008, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

carguy,

Congrats! That is cool as can be! I actually have never seen one before, so it's new to me....but I absolutely love it! CDNN has a great deal on AR 30 round GI contract mags too....$12.99! Oh...maybe not in good 'ol Kerry/Teddy land :-/

Just messing....anyway, I love it! Great choice, and you got a great deal for the $$ too.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Thanks...I know it's not a "real" EBR but it will do for me as I didn't even expect to pick it up. I thought I didged the bullet with my "buy wonder". Now what I need to find are some reasonably priced "pre-ban...pre 1994) hi-cap AR mags!! They'll be alot more than $12.99!!
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Here ya go carguy, I think this is what you're looking for. That is a cool or is that tactikool rifle ya found there. 8-)

http://stevespages.com/pdf/keltec_su16.pdf
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

I'd jump on 5 of these at $22 a pop for 5 or more ($26 each). These are NEW factory Colt 30 round mags.

http://www.eaglefirearms.net/ar15_magazines.htm
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Great deal but Mass has an AWB and I can only possess 10 round mags OR pre-1994 hi-cap mags. So i'm trying to understand how you can be sure something is pre-ban (pre-1994) and to go from there. I see some on Gunbroker but in Mass it is a felony just to possess a post ban hi cap mag...so this isn't something to take lightly here... :'(

Thanks Leo...just printed it out...not to start reading 8-)
Last edited by carguy on April 12th, 2008, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

carguy,

Scroll halfway down the page that I linked. The Colt mags ARE pre-ban mags. They state that:

"These preban magazines can be shipped to NY State and other locations where only preban magazines are allowed."

You could at least call and check with them.
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

Awesome buy Carguy! Let us know how it shoots!

About your hi-cap mag ban, how exactly do you explain to a questioning officer that a particular mag was made prior to 1994 and it is legal for you to own? I haven't noticed any dates on any of my magazines so I'm just curious.
breeze

Post by breeze »

Nice There is nothing like a good case of OCD over a new gun. Has anyone seen anything black and ugly in 45acp... and cheap?
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

Nice gun carguy! :-*

breeze
Baretta Cx4 Storm can come in .45 but I don't know if over $600 constitutes cheap (it seems to be the only .45 carbine out there aside from the Thompson)
Last edited by trent on April 13th, 2008, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Carguy, very cool, can't wait to here the range reports!
G.R. ;D
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Amazing ! I was just looking at that same rifle at independence gun shop ! I like the mags in the stock ! I was interested in the same one ! I thought it would make a nice entry into the .223cal..
I have a set of LEE .223 dies for reloading given to me free. So when i saw that rifle my gears started turning. I bet that will please you well into the future ! That rifle alone is a great way for KelTec to make a statement in the market. They wanted around $600 for it here.
I,too, can't wait to here the report. Have you got a good scope for it? G
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Well here is my range report...200 rounds and one time only did a mag give me a hard time with some feeding failures. Since this is used and I'm not sure of the date of manufacture it may have some of the original mags that can have less rigid feed lips (or something) Kel-Tec is replacing them for free...so a phone call tomorrow to find the date of birth and see what it's daddy says!

Otherwise...WOW...what a fun gun! I think with my old eyes this will definitely need a scope or a hologram thingy type scope. I shot about a 6 or 7 inch group at 50 yards but everything was high and right (2 o'clock). I think it was just me. But I did ring the steel plate a few times at 100 yards...standing free hand (no support, no leaning etc)... 8-) Definitely a keeper...I feel like Luke Skywalker and the force is drawing me to the dark side...and I like it! :-/
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

Carguy,
Thanks for the range report. I've always thought they were great looking guns. Yours is a beau :-*
Last edited by grayfox on April 13th, 2008, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Thanks guys for the compliments.

Garry: all SU-16s are supposed to be 223 or 5.56 capable but the newer ones are lsited as 5.56 rated. And lots of accessories are becoming available (AR adjustable stocks, pistol grips, compact handguards...with rails!!!) Not cheap but seems a worthy investment...so far. I'll make it into an AR looking thing before I'm done!!