Yugo M48 vs 24/47 Mausers

Use this section for all other firearms
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

Hey all,

Any thoughts and/or experiences with these two Mauser variants?

I am looking for another project, like that ever ends with a C&R, and am trying to decide between these two.

I would like a Mitchell's Mauser, but the budget prevents that right now. I like a real project anyway. Diamond in the rough kind of thing, but not too rough if you know what I mean!

I want to stick with the M48, not the M48A if I go with that one, due to the stamped parts on the M48A, but most of the M48's at a reasonable price look kinda beat up. On the other hand, most of the 24/47's I have seen look like they have been refurbished poorly.

This will be my first Mauser project.

All thoughts and input would be appreciated.

Thanks, fritzhund

;)
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

I agree on the M-48 vs M-48A. I really don't think that the milled vs stamped will have any affect on function or being "Mauser smooth", but I hate those dimples in the floorplate of the stamped 48A's.

I passed on two M-48's that were in GREAT, and I mean GREAT overall condition at a gunshow about 2 months ago......the guy was ASKING $130 ea. :(

I have heard that the 24/47's are very nice models. I don't like the straight bolt, but Norm actually posted how to remedy that feature right here on the board!
Last edited by volfandan on March 26th, 2008, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

Was that $130.00 OTD?

I personally don't think that is a bad price if they were in really good shape. Most of the ones I have seen at the local gun shops and at the shows were way more than that and looked kicked to.......
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

+1 with volfandan on the Yugo 48's I prefer the bent bolt on them as opposed to the straight bolt on the Vz24/47, I understand about the floor plate dimples but most of the 48's I have seen the barrels are usually a little dark and/or frosted a bit, I don't mind the dimples so much but do prefer the better barrels that are usually always found on the 48A's, and since most prefer the 48's because they are milled, sometimes you can get a better price on the 48A. I have had both the VZ24/47 and Yugo 48 and 48A, of the three I prefer the Yugo M48A, just my $0.02 worth.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

fritz,

Yep, $130 OTD. See what I mean about being :(
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

Kinda like that 85% Remington 11/87 that the guy (private table) was ASKING $265 for!!!!!!!! Probably in 30 seconds of haggling could have been OTD for $250. >:( I had just bought a gun, and really would have had difficulty explaining it to the Misses. She doesn't really get my addiction :-[
mamcdonald

Post by mamcdonald »

Don't buy from Mitchell's.
olympus

Post by olympus »

Just surfing through some of the old threads and found this one. +1 on not buying from Mitchell's. Way overpriced and they distort some of the facts that they advertise. I've had two M48As. One of them is a project rifle and I sold the other. The A model are easier to find and are usually in better condition. What I did was just bought a regular floorplate from a surplus site and took the old stamped one off. Quick fix and didn't cost much at all. $130 is a heck of deal. I picked my second one up for $170 and thought that was a steal. I sold it because a guy offered me $250 cash for it so I took it.

I almost bought a 24/47 just last week for $75 because the guy thought he broke the safety but apparently he took the shroud apart and couldn't figure out how to put it back together again. But in my opinion, the 24/47s are much smoother actions than the M48. If you can deal with the straight bolt, I think I'd probably go for the 24/47.
hairypolack

Post by hairypolack »

Here is my 24/47

I got it at a gun show for $120 and I really like shooting it. It just seems to be a little difficult to find ammo for it. When I bought it the guy threw in 100 rounds and this stuff was OLD so I saved a clip strip or two full of rounds.
olympus

Post by olympus »

That's a nice looker! But you're right about the ammo problem. All the surplus sources are really drying up quickly. That's another reason why I sold the other M48 that I had and I've changed calibers on the one I have now. It's a shame. I had some old Turk ammo, but I shot it all up before I sold my second Yugo. Let me tell you, that Turk stuff combined with the steel buttplate was not pleasant. Me and some buddies would blow up cinder blocks at 200 yards with it and it made some really cool dust clouds when you connected.
hairypolack

Post by hairypolack »

Thank you! It is matching as well. The stock is just straight wood, nothing laminated like you might find on some M44s like the one I have. I might just hang onto and not sell it and shoot it rarely. The only thing I do not like about it is the damn import markings.
olympus

Post by olympus »

I'd keep it for as long as you can. If all the 8mm dries up completely, you'll have a good action that you can use for another project of a different caliber if you wanted. A lot of people are seriously against scrapping milsurp stuff, but the Yugo Mausers don't hold any particular collectors value, especially the 24/47s because they are more readily found that the M48s. The actions are a lot smoother than the M48s too so they'll make a great sporter action for a 06 family size cartridge.
hairypolack

Post by hairypolack »

olympus wrote:I'd keep it for as long as you can. If all the 8mm dries up completely, you'll have a good action that you can use for another project of a different caliber if you wanted. A lot of people are seriously against scrapping milsurp stuff, but the Yugo Mausers don't hold any particular collectors value, especially the 24/47s because they are more readily found that the M48s. The actions are a lot smoother than the M48s too so they'll make a great sporter action for a 06 family size cartridge.
I believe this might apply to me :D
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

True - slap a nice scope on that puppy and get it in .308. I'd be happy.
olympus

Post by olympus »

I'll try to remember to get some pictures of my Mauser project on here soon. The barreled action has been sent off for bluing and I expect it to arrive sometime this week. It's a Yugo M48A with the floorplate swapped for an original and the trigger guard slimmed down. I've got a Timney trigger on it and Richards Microfit tactical style stock. It's a .308! I've got a cheap scope to put on it at home to see how it shoots. If it groups as good as it should, I'll take the cheapo scope off and save up for a nicer scope.