Walther/S&W .380 PPK/S

Use this section for all other firearms
electross

Walther/S&W .380 PPK/S

Post by electross »

Bought a new Walther PPKS 3 wks ago in .380. Really love the pistol or I wouldn't have bought it. But it seems like S&W could have spent a little more time and money in rounding out some sharp edges. Took it out and it is breaking in real nicely after 100 rounds, but the beavertail has some edges on it that rubbed me the wrong way. Is it just my Walther or has anyone else had this problem. It's not slide cuts from a fat hand either. :o
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Walther/S&W .380 PPK/S

Post by carguy »

Had a stainless Walther by S&W before the P-64 and Makarov...sold it and I was able to buy the other two mentioned... 8-)...alright I added a little more money... :'(

I felt the Walther was less reliable, had ridiculous sharp edges and had a little hammer bite. It became more of a status symbol to me and I can't afford to spend alot of money for symbolism. I know guys that swear buy them but I'm just not one of them.

I hope you enjoy yours more than I did mine.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Walther/S&W .380 PPK/S

Post by garry »

I am glad to hear such honesty . It is great for helping to make decisions . These are exactly what this forum is so good at ! Advising folks of your true thoughts helps to save time and especially Money !
I Love the Walther Looks . I never could see spending the money tho, and now i am even happier about my P-64 ! It is so often compared to the PP and PPK, that I think I really do have a better pistol than a Walther ! Thanks for your opinions Guys ! G
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Walther/S&W .380 PPK/S

Post by anjdrifter »

some where here there is a link to an article cpmparing them to each other.. will try and locate later today unless someone beats me to it
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Walther/S&W .380 PPK/S

Post by normsutton »

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Walther/S&W .380 PPK/S

Post by grayfox »

Of all my pistols (over25), I still love my P-64. Its just so easy to carry & it shoots poa.
electross

Walther/S&W .380 PPK/S

Post by electross »

Gentleman,
I'm not giving up on the Walther, just disappointed in S&W. Might try and locate a cerimic file or something along those lines. I have the handgun sitting next to me now and have been messing with it. You can see the machining that went into the gun. It looks great, but another trip around in the tumbler was definetly needed. Looked at my P64 with the same scrutiny as I did on the Walther. That little sucker looks pretty good for about a third of the price. Gonna have to buy another P64.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Walther/S&W .380 PPK/S

Post by carguy »

Electross, I by no means recommend that you get rid of your Walther. If it works for you then good for you. I was only trying to give you an honest opinion by a former owner who experienced similar complaints as you and decided to sell it to fund other options instead of as you suggested trying to remedy the issues. Please take my experience as nothing more than a story. I would never take it upon myself to tell anyone what they should do with their firearms, money or anything else. Sorry if I came across that way.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Walther/S&W .380 PPK/S

Post by papabear »

electross,

Welcome aboard, glad to have you with us. FWIF, by listening to Norm you will find the reason your P-64 is having a problem and will be guided to its repair. Norm is our resident gunsmith and we are very fortunate to have him with us. Be careful though, these P-64's are addictive, as are the all the 9x18 pistols......... ;D

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
electross

Walther/S&W .380 PPK/S

Post by electross »

Hi Carguy,
I didn't think you were suggesting that I get rid of my Walther. I took your experience for exactly what it was, thats why we're here. It's good discussion. Still can't get over how sharp the edges are on that thing. I'm going to gently use an Arkansas stone on some of the edges and see what happens. Maybe the buffing wheel from my dremel with a little polishing rouge would help. From this post I have determined that I'm not the only one that thinks my Walther will double as a stilletto. ;D
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Walther/S&W .380 PPK/S

Post by dfunk »

Im surprised that you've never heard of the infamous Walther-bite. Two little razor-thin lines on the meat of your hand is what I always got shooting them. It's actually quite common - that goes for S&W manufactured and Walther manufactured ones.
electross

Walther/S&W .380 PPK/S

Post by electross »

Dickfunk,
No.... I didn't hear about that but I'm living proof that it's true. As usual, theres a story behind the purchase of the Walther. I'll work with it and if I can't get it satisfactory, I'll sell it and move on. :) On a positve note I did end up with a real nice Bulgarian Makarov that does not have any faults ;D , and I'm on the lookout for another P64. My philosophy, never take a step backwards, keep forging ahead. Thanks for your insight
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Walther/S&W .380 PPK/S

Post by grayfox »

I,m no gunsmith but I'd do the same thing on rounding off the sharp edges, or call S&W and see what they charge for a "melt" job. A lot of good 'smiths will round off and smooth all edges. Keep us in formed. ;)
electross

Walther/S&W .380 PPK/S

Post by electross »

Thanks for the encouragement Grayfox. I'll keep everyone posted :)
kempin

Walther/S&W .380 PPK/S

Post by kempin »

I guess I'm behind the times. Did S&W buy up Walther? I didn't even know.