.25 acp

Use this section for all other firearms
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

.25 acp

Post by papabear »

anjdrifter,

I've always been a little skeptically of mouse guns, but recently I was convinced to look for a Beretta 950 in .25cal, I researched them and found some interesting comments from owner's of the Beretta 950 series and talked myself into getting one. Finally got one off Gunbrokers for $150 shipped to my FFL and I have been nothing but impressed with it ever since. Size, light weight, handling, very concealable, function, and accuracy are its middle name, skepticism was erased and now I'm the proud owner of a .25 cal mouse gun. I would have had another [C.G. Haenel Suhl .25 cal] but the deal fell through. As for reloading, I don't, but some that do reload that I know have said has Norm has stated here that the time and effort is not worth it. Just my $0.02 worth.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

.25 acp

Post by gunneyrabbit »

OK, Here's one for you fellows, two years or so ago I bought a Astra .25 acp at one of the gun auction sites that I know we all haunt. This one was unique in several ways, first the pistol was covered with ordnance markings. Second the pistol had been refitted with new grips and magazine. Third it was sold as is with all the identifying serial numbers having been ground off the pistol. Fourth the sale was perfectly legal. Three ata-boys for the first person to come up with why the sale was legal ! By the way it shoots very well, grip safety and thumb safety work just fine, barrel is nice and shiny with good rifling and I hope some day to do some lead work to it and refinish it.
Good luck !
G.R.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

.25 acp

Post by carguy »

jbailey...nice score!! I'll give you $25 shipped to me in Boston... ???

Alright never mind. I sold a like new nickle plated Raven last year that I bought from a friend in the 70's for $30. I got $120 for it and probably could have got more but it just scared me...I refused to carry it cocked and locked in my pocket. I'd love to pick up a Phoenix with the exchangable barrels (!) if I could ever find one in Mass (can't be sold through a dealer just FTF from a resident).

You got the BUG man...get it the Bug Gun...got the BUG...I kill myself! :P
torpeau

.25 acp

Post by torpeau »

anjdrifter,

I've always been a little skeptically of mouse guns, but recently I was convinced to look for a Beretta 950 in .25cal, I researched them and found some interesting comments from owner's of the Beretta 950 series and talked myself into getting one. Finally got one off Gunbrokers for $150 shipped to my FFL and I have been nothing but impressed with it ever since. Size, light weight, handling, very concealable, function, and accuracy are its middle name, skepticism was erased and now I'm the proud owner of a .25 cal mouse gun.
Decades ago I gave a chromed one of those to my 1st wife. As I recall it came from a Beretta plant in Brazil.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

.25 acp

Post by carguy »

I read somewhere recently that a ridiculous proportion of the handguns sold in the US are made in Brazil?? Does that sound familiar to anyone?

It's almost like "American" made cars...more Fords, Chevy etc are made in Mexico, Canada etc than in the US. And so many Nissan (my employer), Toyota, Honda, BMW, Hyundai blah, blah, blah are made in the US!!
barnett3006

.25 acp

Post by barnett3006 »

OK, Here's one for you fellows, two years or so ago I bought a Astra .25 acp at one of the gun auction sites that I know we all haunt. This one was unique in several ways, first the pistol was covered with ordnance markings. Second the pistol had been refitted with new grips and magazine. Third it was sold as is with all the identifying serial numbers having been ground off the pistol. Fourth the sale was perfectly legal. Three ata-boys for the first person to come up with why the sale was legal ! By the way it shoots very well, grip safety and thumb safety work just fine, barrel is nice and shiny with good rifling and I hope some day to do some lead work to it and refinish it.
Good luck !
G.R.
I dunno Gunney, unless you mean the original serial numbers were ground off and a new number was reissued by the ATF and stamped in by an authorized gunsmith.....then maybe it was a trade in buy a gov. agency? That might explain the ordinance markings. Post some pics!!! :)
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

.25 acp

Post by carguy »

How could it be legal without any serial numbers at all?!?
barnett3006

.25 acp

Post by barnett3006 »

very, very old guns often don't have serial numbers and are perfectly legal to own, the Astra isn't anywhere near this old though. This is definitely a neat and interesting challenge that Gunneyrabbit has provided us with.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

.25 acp

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Well that one didn't go to far, gosh I thought that I would have you fellows stumped for a while. Barnett3006 hit the nail right on the head. Pistol was bought several years ago, as I said, from one of the auction sites for $78.00 plus shipping, my FFL holder and the local police had never heard of such a thing and had to talk to the ATF folks who put them straight on them item. As I said, a very nice little pistol with some history and that is what interested me about the item. Barnett3006, you mentioned something that I was not aware of regarding the authorized gun smith, how do you go about finding one to do the work.
G.R.

P.S.
Oh I almost forgot-
"ATA-BOY-ATA-BOY-ATA-BOY" ;)
Good job Barnett3006 !
barnett3006

.25 acp

Post by barnett3006 »

Well that one didn't go to far, gosh I thought that I would have you fellows stumped for a while. Barnett3006 hit the nail right on the head. Pistol was bought several years ago, as I said, from one of the auction sites for $78.00 plus shipping, my FFL holder and the local police had never heard of such a thing and had to talk to the ATF folks who put them straight on them item. As I said, a very nice little pistol with some history and that is what interested me about the item. Barnett3006, you mentioned something that I was not aware of regarding the authorized gun smith, how do you go about finding one to do the work.
G.R.

P.S.
Oh I almost forgot-
"ATA-BOY-ATA-BOY-ATA-BOY" ;)
Good job Barnett3006 !
LOL! Sorry to cut your fun so short, Gunney. ;D Thanks for the ATA-BOYs 8-)

Non-manufacturing gunsmiths, I think, have to have some kind of special requirement to move a guns serial number from its original location to a different location on the gun to prevent the number from being obscured by say, a scope mount. Again, I think, that in departmental trade-ins like yours the department would hire a gunsmith (or hand the janitor a hammer and numbered punch set) to stamp in a generic serial number and then that department or gunsmith would inform the ATF of the serial number change.