Any experience with TOZ-99?

Use this section for all other firearms
commandercob

Post by commandercob »

I keep hunting for the best inexpensive plinking .22 and found these TOZ-99 Russian semi-autos newly manufactured in Tula.

http://www.tickbitesupply.com/firearms.html
http://www.tennesseeguns.com/toz.html

I was almost set-in-stone with a Ruger 10/22 and now I'm having second thoughts. TOZ-99 has free-floating barrel with adjustable trigger to 4.2 lbs. I like the stock and closed sites, and the gun comes with 2-5 round and 2-10 round magazines. No aftermarket parts from what I've seen. Once again... any opinions out there would be greatly appreciated.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

No experience with the semi-auto but I have a bolt action. Sweet rifle. Pretty nice finish. Extremely accurate.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

commandercob

I know that SHONA sells the H out of them

http://www.ssmedwi.com/Rifles%20page%203.htm

she has a hard time keeping them in stock

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

commandercob,
Thats a good looking rifle & the Tula plant is the best. Keep us informed. :)
commandercob

Post by commandercob »

beasleydano,

I'm glad you like the TOZ-98. Most of the sites I've seen with any real info are in Russian. The few threads I've looked at say its a great rifle but the wood stock is "hideous". I was wondering your opinion because it looks great to me. I like the rough look and color. Also, what about the "plastic" magazines? Only saw them mentioned in one place but wondered about their durability if they are plastic.

-Cob
commandercob

Post by commandercob »

TOZ-78 (The bolt-action model), sorry about that.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

My TOZ has a nice light colored stock. Not fancy but not hideous either. I will call it utilitarian. Mine came with 2- 5 rd. and 2- 10 rd. plastic mags. They work well and I have had no problems with the mags or the rifle. I consider it to be one of my best rifle buys.
commandercob

Post by commandercob »

Thanks for all the info. I found a good price from a site that is bookmarked on my other computer (sorry, but it was some place in Nevada). $125 including shipping.

They were out of stock and weren't sure if it was backordered, but promised to sell at that price if they could. Supposedly the rifles should be new but only mentioned "a 10-round" magazine being included. That purchase price might not be so good if the extra 3 mags are excluded. We shall see what the future holds and if they come through I will post pictures and links for all interested
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

Good price for the TOZ-99. I hope it comes in and with 4 mags. I bought my TOZ-78 from Centerfire Systems for $99 + shipping. They advertised it on their site as a "Whisper" .22 rifle with a single mag as I recall and when I e-mailed them about it they said that it was a TOZ-78 and it came with 4 mags and they needed to update the description. After I received the rifle I checked the site again and they were sold out. Glad I got this one!
jakub66

Post by jakub66 »

Never tried TOZ.
Only .22 rifle I own is 1950 Radom Wz48 trainer.
Single shot, bolt action, same like one I got to use during civil defence classes in early eighties.
Each of us got issued five rounds for practice, and had to bring five casings back to proof they were fired.
That was my oficial firearms training prior to leaving Poland.
Unoficial consisted sesion with MP-40 (known in Poland as Shmeiser) hidden on my friends Grandpa's farm since Nazi occupation.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

The guy on the discovery show survivor man used the bolt action toz in one of the episodes (just a random bit of trivia)