New M44 project gun

Use this section for all other firearms
spyguy

New M44 project gun

Post by spyguy »

I am pretty excited to be the new owner of my first Mosin Nagant M44. I picked it up last Friday after several weeks of trying to meet up with my FFL dealer. (just about frustrating enough to drive a guy to apply for his C&R.) I’ll just take a moment to thank several of the members of this site for their previous posts about these weapons. I have thought about buying one of these for several years now, but didn’t really know anything about them. Thanks to this board (again….) I was able to convince myself that I needed one of my own.

It's a 1953 Hungarian model. At first I was pretty sure that all the numbers matched but when I got it home I noticed that the bolt did not match the rest of the gun. I'm not sure how important that is in the grand scheme of things, but it would have been nice. That aside everything looks to be in good working order. I cannot see signs that this rifle has been fired much, if at all. The bore looks perfect and the crown on the barrel looks good too.

My goal with this gun is to refurbish it to a usable state and possibly hunt deer with it next year. I’ll likely begin the refurb process immediately provided it fires ok and seems to be somewhat accurate with the peep sites.

My original plan was to replace the wood with an ATI stalk, then install the ATI scope mount (not the scout bolt on). I know the scope mount will “ruin” the gun from a collector stand point but I have not been convinced that the bolt-on’s are anything more than a gimmick. I also plan to remove the bayonet but am still unsure of how permanent the “uninstall” will be.

I would appreciate any input any of you might have on this subject. I am not really solid on any of my plans accept maybe the scope mount. I would like to end up with a very unique rifle that is usable as a shooter as well as good for a little shop talk. This will likely not be the last Mosin Nagant that I purchase, but it will be the one that I experiment with and actually shoot. I plan to collect a few more with the intention of restoring them to as close to their original condition as possible once I am content with this one.

So, here’s a couple shots of it as it was when I bought it:
Last edited by spyguy on January 21st, 2008, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

New M44 project gun

Post by dfunk »

My god, it looks like it's in excellent shape. My opinion - keep it as is. You'd be surprised at how accurate these things are with plain old irons. Your stock is in impeccable condition. Is it counterbored?
mikeh1

New M44 project gun

Post by mikeh1 »

I would recommend against removing the bayonet. Most M44s are sighted in with the bayonet extended. Removing it altogether would upset the balance and would likely affect accuracy.

I have a M44 that is sighted with the bayonet retracted, shoots left with the bayo extended. It's amazingly accurate with only iron sights.

Very nice condition too!

Some sites with lots of info on MN rifles:

http://forums.gunboards.com/
http://www.7.62x54r.net/
http://www.mosinnagant.net/default.asp
http://russian-mosin-nagant.com/mambo/
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

New M44 project gun

Post by blinddog »

Wow!!!Now that is one good looking rifle. I have great hopes that I can get one later, they are super rifles. Shot one a friend of mine has and it is right on. Your rifle looks perfect. I can't believe the great condition it is in!!
polock

New M44 project gun

Post by polock »

spyguy, I also have a Hungarian M44, but nowhere near as nice as yours. I am also the 1st person to modify/convert more common milsurps to be a little different, or just to experiment.

However, your rifle appears to be too nice to modify! Even with the non-matching bolt, if it were my gun I'd not mess with it.

For what you want, a refurbished M38 Mosin would be the easiest way to go--no hassle with the bayonet/mount (if you take them off it leaves a "step" in the barrel). You can get into a nice M38 for less than $100 (wholesale). It will make a nicer sporter, and you will have a good start (the Hungarian) on your Mosin Nagant collection--yes, you will get more, they are addictive!!

Good Shooting--Polock
"I have never seen a situation so desperate that the arrival of a policeman did not make worse"--Brendan Behan, Irish post
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

New M44 project gun

Post by space »

That does look like a really nice one. Since you will get more of them (just ask anyone that already has one) you could get a U-Fix-em from Century for cheap and slap a plastic stock on it for hunting.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

New M44 project gun

Post by carguy »

Nice looking Mosin!

I have a full size 91/30 and love it. I refinished the stock as the shelac was flaking and just "grimmy". It is extremely accurate with the original iron sights. I think these were originally sighted in at approx 300 yards. I also have the scount mount and scope...works great! Anjdrifter here on the forum has a nice sportized one with synthetic stock, scope and even a bipod I think! Do some searching on his posts and you'll find a photo!

If I were you I would hate to ruin such a beauty but it is your gun to do with as you please. Look at the Century or R Guns site for some beaters. JG Sales, SOG and AIM have them for cheap money as well. If you start this you do know you'll need that C&R very soon?!?!

If you do buy another to sporterize I would not touch a M38 as they are getting fewer and fewer in availability. I would just pick up a beater M44 or even a 91/30.

Good Luck!
diehard

New M44 project gun

Post by diehard »

Spyguy, it's your rifle to do with as you please. However, before you hack up your beautiful rifle consider this: the auction sites are full of 'sporterized" Mosin Nagants that never actually truned into what their owners wanted.

Mosins are excellent rifles. I have owned 10 at various times, and have sporterized two that had bent barrels and other cosmetic issues. Both will now shoot inside of 2" at 100 yards with Winchester ammo. However, having hunted two seasons with them I can tell you that the safety doesn't lend itself to practical usage as a hunting rifle, unless you are sitting in a tree stand of course. It is just too damned awkward to get off when a quick shot is needed.

Now there is another option. My third sporter was built after buying one of the many hundreds of barreled receivers that companies like Centerfire Systems used to sell for $14.95. All other parts are readily available, and I put a rifle together for less than $100 using a previously modified stock that I got of ebay for $8. This rifle also groups very well, even though I hacked it down to 17"to get rid of the bayonet lug.

For what its worth, when I go to the range I'd much rather shoot the unmodified Mosins I have.

Of course I wouldn't want to deprive you of the fun of tinkering, and Mosins are good for that. It is your rifle after all.
Last edited by diehard on January 22nd, 2008, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

New M44 project gun

Post by trent »

my goodness the stock on that m44 is beautiful, it looks unissued!

oh and aren't those "buzz" magnets at the bottom of the last picture (I call them buzz magnets because when you throw them in the air close to each other they make a loud buzzing noise)
spyguy

New M44 project gun

Post by spyguy »

Wow, you guys are great! I appreciate all the input......I knew I was in the right place to ask. There was a growing feeling that maybe I was underestimating what I'd found. I really have no experience with these old rifles and can't really say I would know what too look for.

I have had my eye out for just the right one for about a year now. I saw this one at a gun show about a month ago.....the day after I lost my ATM card (on a Saturday) and could not actually purchase the gun. The Dealer agreed to hold it for me and we made plans to meet the following week. I chased after the dealer for the last month trying to complete the purchase.

Since the original post I managed to sneak out and fire about 20 rounds through the new M44. WOW!!! The fire, the report, the distruction.....I don't know what was more exciting. This rifle really is a joy to shoot and has a very distinct sound. I am still surprised at how much fun it was to shoot. I can't wait to get to a bench rest where I can take a little more time and really see what it can do.

Now, after everyone's input and my own experience firing this beauty I'll gladly conceed and agree that she'll be keeping her original furnishings. Maybe there'll be a little attention paid to the surface dings and finish...(I gotta do something to it).

Can anyone tell me how to remove the main stock? My guess is there's either some neat trick I don't know about or a tool I havn't seen to grab the bolt that's just in front of the receiver?

I think several of you are right, I just can't stop staring at this baby, I had no idea what a great rifle this M44 is, just the way it is....C&R application process will begin this week. I think I'll make my first purchase a 91/30 or an M38. I do plan to make that sporter and hunt with it this fall......but I guess I can hold off on the all out transformation process until I find something a little less purdy.

Thanks again for all the input, you guys are the best. Feel free to add anything that hasn't been already.

And yes.....those are my buzz magnets! lol. They get tossed around all the time. I think they're hanging on by a thread there in the pic. Nice catch Trent!
Last edited by spyguy on January 22nd, 2008, 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeh1

New M44 project gun

Post by mikeh1 »

there are two screws holding the stock to the rest of the works. One on top behind the receiver, second one is on the underside, just forward of the magazine. First, you need to remove the barrel bands, carefully so as not to mar the stock. No need to remove the large recoil bolt that goes through the stock.

More in disassembly instructions:
http://www.7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinDisassembly.htm
saands

New M44 project gun

Post by saands »

As someone mentioned, the safety on the MN isn't all that easy to use, but I have hunted with one (took my first hog with a M-N that was made in 1895!). Instead of engaging the safety, I typically chamber a round and then open the bolt and carry it that way. If I'm going to be climbing over things, then I will just unchamber that round completely while I climb. By the way, if you have a bunch of surplus ammo (and you SHOULD!), you can just swap a hunting bullet of the same weight in the cartridge and you'll have hunting ammo that shoots to the same POI as your surplus ammo. The "light" ammo for these uses a 147gr or 150gr projectile, so that is an easy find. For the record, that is the ammo that took that same first hog of mine. At this price, I think EVERYONE should have at least one!

Saands
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

New M44 project gun

Post by grayfox »

That is one beautiful M-44. I have four nice ones that I won't touch. Here is a pic of a 91/30 that I sportirized. The scope mount goes were the rear leaf sight goes, so you don't have to mess up anything. They are like rabbits, they keep growing. The nice ones like yours have dried up in my area. Have fun with it.
fritzhund

New M44 project gun

Post by fritzhund »

:-/

Hey Grayfox,

That sure looks nice!

What kind of stock/scope/bipod setup is that?

I see another Mosin in my future.............

fritzhund
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

New M44 project gun

Post by grayfox »

The scope is an N-Star 4x32 long eye releif. I think the stock was ATI, not sure on the mount or bi-pod, but I'll look them up for you. The bi-pod has a stud for the sling. Makes a nice sniper type rifle. :)