AK kit

Use this section for all other firearms
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

AK kit

Post by dolang1 »

While the weather had me trapped, I bought an AK kit. I think this is going to be fun to build. I think the fun will start right after my thumb stops hurting. I hit it trying to drive out a receiver rivet. I have since learned that these rivets have to be drilled. Any other tidbits from you guys that have already built one would be appreciated. Until then I will continue crashing along like I do everything else. Later Don
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

AK kit

Post by normsutton »

DON

This my help with your build

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting200 ... /index.asp

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
donnerwetter58

AK kit

Post by donnerwetter58 »

Here are a couple more build sites.
www.akfiles.com Site has a good build it yourself forum.
http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/ak.htm walks you through many builds with photos.
Have fun. These are addicting. The kits are drying up quickly.
If you're only doing 1 or 2 I'd recommend a 100% receiver.
I prefer rivets over screws but that's a subject of huge debate.
It's a shame you're not a bit closer...I'd give you a hand.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

AK kit

Post by dolang1 »

Thanks guys. I've been reading these sites for the last hour. These are really going to help.

donnerwetter58, I went with the 100% receiver and rivets. Thanks again, Later Don
volfandan

AK kit

Post by volfandan »

Don,

Good luck and keep us posted on progress. I've toyed with the idea of an AK build....but just don't have the confidence.
bnorth12

AK kit

Post by bnorth12 »

Don,

Any updates on the AK kit. I completed my first one doing a screw build on a 80% receiver a few weeks back, and I am slowly progressing through my second kit doing a rivet build.

When I start the third and final parts kit I have I will take a few pictures as it is built.

Brian N
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

AK kit

Post by dolang1 »

bnorth12, Sorry about being so tardy. Not much to report. the tear down on the cut receiver went fast. the barrel ended up being pressed out. I couldn't get it to move with a hammer, so I took it to my brother's shop. He had access to a 150 ton and a 600 ton press. It came out real easy but with a pop.

Then I built a rivet tool ( Harbor Freight bolt cutter) It worked great on the first 6 rivets. Broke it, my fault. I'm building a trigger guard jig now.

The next one will go a lot faster and I have two buddies at work that are waiting for me to finish, so they can start theirs with my tools.

It's been a lot slower than I hoped but I have enjoyed it. Later Don