Cobra Patriot 45

Use this section for all other firearms
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Stopped buy our local Sporting goods store and picked up a box of Winchester 185gr. Super X Silver Tip HP's and the pistol functioned like a dream. Shooting at 55ft. the slugs printed a little bit low but did shoot groups that were just as nice as the 230gr. Winchester ball ammo.. I'll pick up a different brand of ammo in two weeks and see how well it functions in the little Cobra, may be some Hornady JHP's.
This is a great gun in my opinion, I am very pleased with my purchase and at this point I would not hesitate to recommend it to some one who has some shooting experience under their belt and knows what to expect from a true double action only pistol.
G.R.

P.S.
My computer is dead, caught a virus and will not start, I'm posting from my work computer during my lunch hour, it may be next week before I can make regular postings again.
G.R.

P.P.S.
Spudit, thanks for the photos and the postings, Ive just about run out of information regarding this nice little C.C. handgun and have always appreciated your insights and postings.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on November 19th, 2008, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Made it to the range today, stopped along the way and picked up a box of Speer 230gr Gold Dot JHP ammunition and ran five rounds through the Cobra and it gobbled them up and spit them out just like any FMJ ammo.. Recoil was much more intense than the 185gr Winchester Super X Silver Tip HP's and the ammunition was not as accurate as the Winchester. I was shooting at fifty feet and was all over the thorax of a full size half silhouette target with the Speer ammo, I thought at first it was me and I was just going to have another poor shooting day, so I switched to 45 reloads and the groups tightened up again. I took my time with the remaining fifteen rounds and didn't shoot much better, at this point I think I will stay with the 185gr Winchester until I find something that shoots better in the pistol.

I think it is fair to say that the company's warning regarding the HP ammo is to encourage shooters to try out multiple brands before you put your life at risk with untried ammunition. Any how it is good to know that at least two HP rounds will function properly in the Patriot. I still want to try Hornady ammo in the pistol, I've had problems with failures to feed in some of my pistole's, especially in my Astra Constable, it simply will not function with Hornady's 380 JHP ammunition.

:) Every one have a Great Thanks Giving Holiday. :)
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on November 24th, 2008, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by himmel »

Keep it up GR, we're here with ya'! :)
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Put another 100 rounds through the Cobra today and for some reason I've started shooting to the left of the target at 50 feet. All rounds were on line with the heart and lung area, just to the left of center. Now I've had a problem with this in the past but never to this extent, much more pronounced today. This is the same 230gr reloads that I have been shooting for some time so the problem is with me and not the ammo or the pistol.
Not much more to say about today, a little disappointing.
G.R.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Spent time pushing the envelope doing speed drills with the Cobra at the full length of the range last Monday, groups were not tight by any ones standards but I was able to keep everything in the torso. I've come to appreciate the sights on the Cobra, the generous rear sight allows me to pick up the sight picture rapidly and through practice I've acquired the trigger control that is necessary to fire the pistol properly.
Please let me state once again that this is not a target pistol but quality tool that fills the niche for a no nonsense, fast deployment, self defense weapon that is not suitable for the uninitiated shooter as it would leave them purely frustrated.
This is a great gun!
G.R.
P.S.
I still have been unable to find Hornady 45 JHP self defense ammo.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on December 10th, 2008, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

For all of you who have fallowed this thread, you now know that I'm attracted to the odd and unusual hand guns that periodically show up in the industry. My experiences with the COBRA PATRIOT have led me to conclude that all that can be done mechanically to improve the pistol is to polish the draw bar face and the firing pin bar face. This can be done by careful and judicious adjusting of the items noted or by continual use of the pistol. I am not a gun smith and I would encourage you not to attempt to do this yourself and leave the adjustments to those who do this for a living and invest the moderate dollars necessary to have a qualified smith do it for you.
Those of you who have fallowed this thread will remember that my attempts failed badly, resulting in failure to fire, not something you want to happen in a real life experience.
The COBRA PATRIOT is, in my opinion, a carry pistol that should be considered by those who are looking for an inexpensive, reliable, accurate self defense weapon for daily carry use or the shooting sports.
I have noted in the past that this is not a handgun for the uninitiated shooter, it will leave those individuals dis-satisfied and disappointed in the sport.

On to the future!
I have read in the past few weeks that the Charter Arms company has printed information regarding their soon to be released 9mm/380 ACP, 40S@W and 45ACP caliber revolvers; soon to be fallowed by +P versions of those noted above, also known by the acronym C.A.R.R. or Charter Arms Rimless Revolvers.

I don't know about you guys but this information sends my libido into over drive! I was considering the Charter 327 mag. but who knows what will be next?
Stick around for the strait dope regarding one of these revolvers.
I would also like to extend a big thanks to those who thought this thread was worth fallowing, hope you enjoy what is coming up next.
Yours truly,
Gunney Rabbit.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on January 3rd, 2009, 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
spudit

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

Spudit is alive and well
I suffered a relationship failure and ended up living elsewhere. I got my stuff, dog visitation and that "crappy old sailboat". I am living on same, afloat in the warm waters of Puget Sound.

Nothing new to report on the pistol except that mine survived a brief dip in salt water, in a zipped nylon bag, in a half closed ziplock.

I became very excited, grabbed the floating bag and doused the damp pistol with WD40 within an hour and cleaned it when I could. All is well, it shoots snapcaps anyway, and I'll assume that was seawater on my pants.

Note to all, to keep your weapon dry, zip the ziplock, it don't work so good otherwise.

Best to all,
Spudit
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Loaded up some 185gr. 45 JHP rounds and took them to the range along with my AMT Hardballer and the Patriot. Tried for quite a while to get the second round to load to battery in the Hardballer with no luck. My 1st attempt at hallow points so I thought the problem was very likely the guy doing the loading and not the gun. Asked my buddy Fairly Honest Ed would he like to try the rounds in his almost new Taurus 1911. He looked at me with a suspicious eye and declined my generous offer. Decided to try the ammo in the Cobra and it shot like a dream with very good accuracy. Chock up one more for the Patriot!
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on February 20th, 2009, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by normsutton »

G.R.

did you polish the feed ramp on the AMT Hard Baller , if you did try seating the bullet back in the case a little

I have 14 45 auto's and this bullet well feed in all of them

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Hi Norm,
No I haven't polished the feed ramp yet, it was shooting so well with ball ammo that I didn't think it would be a problem.
Shows you what I know huh?
G.R.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by normsutton »

G.R.

most 1911's were designed to shoot ball ammo in them , not HP's ,every once in a while some get lucky and it will shoot all brands of ammo in them , but for the most part no hollow points in any military type gun with out some sort of alteration of the gun or the bullet or both

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Hi guys,
Its been a while since I've made an entry into this thread, not sure how many folks are interested but just a little fallow up information about my on going love affair with this pistol. I' been playing around with loads for this this pistol and have come up with a winner. I've been loading Bear Creek 205 gr., Colt 45 RNFP bullets into Winchester 45ACP cartridges, using 4.6 Gr's of Winchester 231 smokeless propellant. I'm consistently getting sub three inch groups off of a rest. On good days the pistol rewards me with three to three and one half inch groups off hand. Groups shoot about four inches high of the point of aim on a twenty-two match target at fifty feet.
Ignoring the extreme spread, that just under 1/2 oz. of lead traveling at 525MPH with good accuracy.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on April 18th, 2010, 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

It has been a little over ten months since my last entry regarding the Cobra Patriot 45. I haven't given up shooting this little power house and I can report that the trigger is now as smooth as silk and the accuracy is admirable with my favorite load for the pistol. The pistol is a steller preformer in a concealed carry situation, it is small, light, concealable and is snag free. My opinion of the pistol has only improved with time and I would highly recomend the product for your consideration for concealed carry or a home defense hand gun.
G.R.
ecw7907

Post by ecw7907 »

I've got all you beat; I own a Patriot 45 "and" a Patriot 380. I probably like the 45 better cause I took it down and fluffed and buffed it. The 380 is a DAO hammer gun with a long trigger pull like the Kel tec P 11. It weighs 20 oz. The Patriot 45 has a good feel to it and I've put 350 FMJ's through it with few problems. COBRA warrantees the guns new or used lifetime so you can't lose.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

acw7907,
Welcome aboard brother, good to know there is another enlightened soul in the fold, that makes three good men tried and true spreading the word. :)
G.R.

P.S. How is the accuracy of the .380 and is the trigger as nice as the patriot .45 acp?
G.R.