Cobra Patriot 45

Use this section for all other firearms
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by himmel »

My thoughts exactly..IMHO, certainly not to the extent of paying $800 for a 5-shot .38 revolver that Taurus sells for $350.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Himmel, I agree, I picked up my 340PD used on GunBroker for $500.00,
as a rule I would never pay that much for any pistol. However, I had shot one that belongs to a good friend of mine and fell in love instantly. I watched the auctions for two plus years and missed several to last minute bids. All went for over $500.00, the one I finally purchased was sold by a fellow who bought the pistol for his wife who carried it in her purse for two years before she decided she wanted an auto or so the story goes. I can tell you that I cleaned tobacco, lipstick, ink pen, lint, paper and crumbs, etc., etc., etc. out of the revolver. Finish is beat up, keys, mirrors and what ever else women carry in their purses. Had a trigger job on it and it has been one of my favorite carry guns when ever I can get away with it. Pistol is very accurate and polite with 38sp. and 38+p loads, .357 reloads are even reasonable, standard 158 gr. 357 rounds are a real handful, I never shoot more than five rounds at any range secessions. I carry it in and old leather IWB holster that I removed the belt clip from, works pretty well and hasn't been spotted yet.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on September 11th, 2008, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

First off let me say how cool I think the new message board looks, this is the first time I've seen it and I'm really impressed. Nice work you guys!

Made it to the range late last night and it was so hot I only shot 100 rounds of 45acp through the Cobra. The trigger is not smoothing out fast enough for me so I think I will see if Cobra will do a trigger job on it, at one time I asked if they had a custom shop and they answered no so I don't have a lot of hope in that respect. The gun is still very accurate, did shooting from the bench at fifty feet and was able to put together one 2.5 inch group in the sweltering heat of the range and I think that was the best group I've ever shot. It would be interesting to see what can be done from a Ransom rest?
Spent the rest of the time shooting 357's at the 3/4 size
silhouette until I could no longer stand the heat and called it a day.
More to fallow next week,
G.R.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Spent time at the range with the Cobra and was rewarded with several very nice groups shooting off of several telephone books stacked on top of each other. How ever the flame and heat that you don't see from the rear end of the pistol will most definitely singe the paper if you don't pay attention.

All fun aside, this pistol speaks for itself off of a rest, it is a much better shooter than I am a pistoleer. It is easy on the hand as far as recoil is concerned. It is accurate period! It points better than any other pistol I have ever held and the balance is amazing. It is easy to get off two rapid, accurate shots within a very short period of time at reasonable distances.

There are lighter faster pistole's of lesser caliber that may be more appropriate for warm weather but there are few that can match it for for cold weather carry and none in its price range in my opinion.
More to fallow,
G.R.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by himmel »

Still with ya' GR :)
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Took a lesson from Spudit and purchased several 45 snap caps and spent several days giving my fingers and the Cobra a work out. Know what, he is right on about smoothing out the trigger pull and the it feels lighter to me as well. The groups seemed to tighten up ever so slightly also. Spent the rest of the range time shooting my P-64 which is always a pleasure. I do think I will replace the hammer strut spring with one that is a little lighter, had one round go off prematurely while shooting , would not want to happen in the real world for any reason. More to fallow.
G.R.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Made to to the range yesterday and shared it with about twelve or thirteen people of varying ages who were taking a gun safety and shooting course. Shot only fifty rounds of 45 ball ammo through the Cobra with predictable results. The pistol is very accurate from point blank range to fifty feet, the trigger smooths up very nicely with use or efficacious polishing of the appropriate abutting metal parts. The recoil is very reasonable for a pistol of this size and weight and control should not cause problems even for the novice shooter looking for a self defense gun. For some the pistol will be difficult to shoot at first as are all double action only pistols for the uninitiated shooter, prodigious practice with the item soon over comes any problems of accuracy. The composite frame is strong and the lack of metal rail's is no longer an issue for this or any of the numerous hand gun manufacturers who have adopted the same design. Field stripping the pistol can be accomplished in seconds and is equally easy to reassemble and the item takes any standard 1911 single stack magazine. The pistol's balance with the seven round magazine in place and one in the chamber is amazing and has to be experienced to be truly appreciated. I have thousands of rounds through the pistol with a fractured extractor as the only metal part failure to date. I feel the aberration was an anomaly that will not happen again, I have at least as many rounds through the pistol as I did before the fracture took place. The pistol is light enough and flat enough to be easily concealed during carry and the double action only trigger is one of the few on the market that allows second strike capabilities. The pistol does not have have any of the bells and whistles of the more expensive guns on the market and therefore the price is "much" less. The pistol does go bang when the trigger is pulled and does it efficiently. Though the pistol does not like HP ammo it will feed lead and copper ball ammo, semi wad cutters, Glaser and any other similar types self defense rounds. The only safety that the pistol is burdened with is a drop safety and the common good sense of the shooter. The pistol is a simple and efficient design that does everything a pistol is supposed to do. The Cobra Patriot 45 is a great self defense weapon that is inexpensive enough that virtually any one can afford and learn to shoot accurately.
As I have stated in the past, I like this gun!
G.R.
pshootr

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by pshootr »

If you really want to delete your second post look in the upper right corner and click on "delete" and then confirm that you do. Worked for me, YMMV.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

PshootR, thank you. I took some photos this afternoon and will try to post them tomorrow. They show the difference in size to several of my other pistols, they may be an eye opener.
G.R.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Read an article by R.K. Campbell on the INTERNET, gentleman test's guns an then does a write up on his observations and insights. He states that he regularly shoots JHP ammo from his Cobra Patriot with out a hitch, as you know the manufacturer advises that JHP ammo may cause problems with feed. I plan on picking up a box and see how things wring out and will make an entry on Monday. If the pistol preforms the way he says it will, put another check in the win column for this wonderful semi-auto.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on November 1st, 2008, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

First off let me apologize that I was unable to get to the sporting goods store to pick up JHP ammunition as I had planed, way to much to explain, just didn't happen but I promise it will by next week. Ran fifty rounds through the Cobra with several guys watching and two of them were chomping at the bit to run a few rounds through it. One fellow who was shooting his new Kimber Ultra CDPII 9mm and the groups were quite similar. The other fellow was very competent with double action revolvers and semi-autos and shot the pistol better than I did , both were impressed with what they had thought was a "cheap gun". Spent the rest of the time shooting my Makarov and Kahr PM9. The Makarov out shot them both, you new that was coming didn't you?
Will pick up the JHP's for next week.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on November 4th, 2008, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
spudit

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

Hi Gang,

I am looking forward to the results of GR's research into JHP since I feel a sudden urge to stock up on about 4 years worth of ammo. The question comes down to feeding so I have made my very own flat tip bullet by filing the tip of a 230 grain Winchester FMJ flat. The tip is now a good 1/4" wide with a nice circle of lead showing inside the copper. It loads fine by hand racking the slide and also by recoil..I closed up the garage, turned on the air compressor and executed my stump again. Ah the joys of living outside city limits.

Just to see what feeding really looks like, I mounted the barrel in the frame sans slide with the pin in place and a pencil holding the barrel about level. I fed rounds off the magazine and into the chamber with my thumbnail and the flat nosed bullet fed as well as any. Some feed ramps have a lip at the bottom that might catch a hollow tip but the Patriot does not. Naturally I then polished the ramp up a bit with some emery cloth wrapped around a cartridge, ,just cause I could.

A visit to a new local ammo store got me thinking about heavy JHPs again. Surplusammoandarms com has a retail store near Ft Lewis, Washington which I visited on a recent trip into Tacoma. It's a new shop, not yet fully stocked but with a nice selection ranging from name brand retail boxes of 20 to surplus sardine cans and battle packs. Good folks and good prices, I saw a lot of Army guys in there which says something good about them too.

They have some 500 count remanufactured 230 grain JHP 45ACP in ammo cans for $144, call it $160 with tax and no shipping. I believe it was made by Bitterroot Valley Ammunition and Component, I'll have to confirm that.The same in round nose for about $120 I'm a big heavy slow bullet fan and have been looking for an economical source for full weight JHP, as opposed to 180 grain or 230 FMJ.

Spudit, still here and learning as I go.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Spudit, good job on the ammo, it gives me hope for factory stuff. How did the log look after the execution, did the slug pass clear through this time? Inquiring minds want to know! ;D
spudit

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

GR and Gang

I fired a round nose with the flat one next in line so nothing special in the way of penetration or expansion. I was more interested in how the flat one would load under the force of the recoil. No problems. I fired at a pretty good angle this time so it stayed in the wood where it's safe. Just an unremarkable entrance hole shows.

The flat one is kind of a how flat can I go experiment and I'm still whittling on it. It retains the curved sides so a straight sided bullet shaped like a cut off cone might load differently. It might load better. My goal is duplicating the shape of a 9mm JHP I have on hand. I am in no hurry to fire it, I'm sure the back end of the cartridge works fine.

The research will continue. Naturally, I have to do these tests when my "adult supervision" is at work and she's off the next few days. But on the bright side, we have a 16 year old with a very loud motocross bike living with us for a while. It's been known to backfire, at least that's my story.

Spudit
Last edited by spudit on November 8th, 2008, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by normsutton »

this is a 235 grn lead bullet from a Lee mould

I think I shot this target with my RIA compact

why not start reloading , an you can tailor make your own

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage