Cobra Patriot 45

Use this section for all other firearms
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Himmel, if you watch the INTERNET auctions you can pick up a new one for $250.00 plus shipping, a little more for the black Melanite finish. When you consider the transfer fee and back ground check you should be right at $300.00, store prices run about $50.00 higher.

When I consider what I got for my investment I believe they were dollars well spent. It is an accurate, very light weight, six plus one round compact semi auto 45 that is very easy to conceal. The pistol is shorter and thiner than any other compact 45 on the market today that I'm aware of and that includes the Kahr P45. Kahrs PM45 sub-compact is only .33" shorter and is .01" wider than the Patriot. The compact P45 is one half ounce heavier than the Patriot with the mag in stalled and the subcompact PM45 one half ounce lighter than the Patriot with the mag installed. Both pistols are double action only but only the Cobra offers second strike capability's. Both pistols are covered by the manufacturers for mis-hap via normal ware and usage.

I love my Kahr PM9 and carry it when it is appropriate, usually in the Fall and Spring months. My 11.4 ounce scandium S&W gets carried when ever I can get away with it. But the Patriot is going to be my Winter carry gun, I have no reservations about its construction or reliability, as for the extractor, I feel it was a fluke and until I learn differently I will feel safe and adequately armed.

By the way, I did make it two the range last night and was able to shoot for groups while seated and the pistol and gave a very good report of its self. Groups are much tighter than I can possibly shoot off handed.
G.R.
P.S.
I think I will see how long it takes for the trigger to smooth out by its self this time. I will make further reports next week.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on August 5th, 2008, 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by himmel »

I see the occaional used model at one of the gunshops here ( I think it may actually be the same pistol sometimes--I suspect the owner sometimes takes a slow seller off the shelf for awhile and then puts it back on display..LOL!) usually priced at @ $250. Looks like a heckuva deal to me, it looks much more ergonomically sound than a comparable Glock. I'm a bit recoil-sensitive I fear, but for some reason I wouldn't mind trying the Patriot .45 out--maybe someday.... thanks for the info, GR, I like hearing about this pistol in any event.
mecenas

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by mecenas »

Gunneyrabbit: I think you misspoke when suggesting that Kahr has a second strike capability - it does not. If yours does, then you must have done something to it.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Mecenas, thank you for the correction, I have owned the pistol for over a year and have labored under the false impression that it did have double strike capabilities. One more plus for the Cobra and "I have modified the entry to reflect the correction".
Thanks again for the heads up.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on August 22nd, 2008, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Got to the range today and put fifty rounds of Federal 230gr FMJ through the Patriot 45, the pistol shoots better and better as the trigger improves, nothing new there. The pistol shoots its best groups right at thirty to thirty-two feet for me when shooting off hand. Next step is to have a front night sight installed to help pick up the front sight faster under low light conditions. I can see how the price of new hand guns sky rocket as bells and whistles are added.

By the way I note that they can still be purchased at the GunBroker auction sight for $250.00 NIB, while other sellers are asking $295.00 at the same auction sight.

DISCLAIMER, I have nothing to do with the seller at that sight, just thought some would like to know.

Another aside, the pistol fits very nicely into a Uncle Mikes #2 IWB Holster, my only complaint is that it is hard to remove the pistol quickly from the holster and it leaves a very sticky residue on both composite frame and the metal parts. The residue also sticks the pistol nicely to the hand, something I did not anticipate, the residue wipes off the pistol easily with a dry paper towel.
Has any one else noted this on their holsters?
Will make more entries next week.
G.R.
spudit

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

I think I paid about $330 for mine
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Spudit,
We haven't heard from you in a while, good to see your post, hope everything is well with you. Please let us know how your pistol is shooting for you.

Shot for about a half an hour yesterday then I had to help my daughter move a carpet she had purchased. Would like to have spent more time with the Patriot but I did enjoy shooting my 40SW Star Ultrastar along with the Cobra. The Star is a cream puff that shoots everything in the 10 ring on a half body silhouette and has a beautiful trigger. Stand it up against the Cobra and it is a no brainer which pistol would be considered the better gun to most shooters. It is also about an inch longer, at least a quarter inch wider and out weighs the Cobra by eight ounces unloaded. The Cobra will not put everything in the 10 ring for a fact, but it will put them in them in the 9 ring every time and is quite a bit less expensive than a Excellent grade Ultrastar. By the way, mags for the Ultra Star cost between $35.00 to $50.00 each and the Cobra mags cost about a quarter of that price. I know that many people find my choice of pistole's to be a little on the odd side, but when they finally shoot them they usually become believers.
More to fallow. :)
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on August 20th, 2008, 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
spudit

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

Thanks GR

Many projects here, house painting and construction projects and you know how this North West summer has been. Now, dare I start the roof?

My brother, visiting from Chicago, is confused because this average Joe can and does carry the Cobra most places. It's my standard carry unless I'm walking the dogs, then the PA 63, easier to use one handed.

Owning a pistol is illegal in Chicago, let alone carrying. Every gun, every transaction, is registered in Illinois. I'll never live there again.

I told him it is in part a symbol, if he can guess of what he wins a prize and no it is definitely NOT paranoia.

Spudit
Last edited by spudit on August 22nd, 2008, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Spudit,
Good luck out guessing the weather here in the P.N.W., I have finally gotten around to hiring folks who are used to working in this unpredictable environment and are ready for any situation that arises.
Always a little light in the pocket book but perfectly happy with the abilities of others, wish I had your expertise.
G.R.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Have the week off and have been doing a lot of sleeping in, have a giant task to take care of today then will try to get to the range tomorrow to take care of this itchy trigger that I have been dealing with for the last week.
G.R. ;D
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Picked up the Galene Hardballer that I purchased at the Auction Arms web sight and it is in better shape than I thought it would be. Plan on taking it to the range with the Cobra later today or tomorrow to see how it wrings out.
G.R.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Spent some time at the range yesterday with the Cobra, trigger keeps improving as does the accuracy with the gun. I have mentioned in the past that because of the Patriot my accuracy improves with all my double and single action pistole's as is the case with most things that you practice at. Took my new Galene 45 along and the pistole is just about as accurate as the P-64, punching holes off the bench into empty ammo box's at 50 feet at the Johnson Creek gun Club.

But yesterday I saw something that I would have never believed possible had I not seen it myself, a young man at the range was shooting a 9mm Kel-Tec Sub 2000 semi auto rifle. He was shooting from the bench at what I would consider a break neck speed with a 20 round Glock magazine in place and at the full 50+ ft. length of the range. Now I know that you would expect the young man to be the reckless sort but, as GOD is my witness, he was bulls eying the target with each shot, one of those large targets that has four red colored bulls; one at each quarter of the paper.
To say the least I was impressed. Then he folded up the target length wise into a 1"to 2" wide target and went about the business of giving the phrase gun control a whole new meaning by shooting the target in half using his first shot as his target for the rest of his shots. He told me that the item was accurate out of the box, then he worked up some loads that really dialed it in to its current iteration.

Other than my P32, I've never been interested in anything Kel-Tec after owning both a P11 and a P40 and not being very impressed with either. But I got to tell you that a Sub 2000 is on my watch list for future buys.

To bad they don't come in 9x18, then they would be perfect.
G.R..
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on September 5th, 2008, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

For those of you who receive American Handgunner Magazine, you already know that the November/December issue has done a write up on "Champagne Tastes VS. Beer Budget" self defense handguns.
Among others, Cobra of Utah was given appropriate accolades for its Patriot 45 SA pistol. The other company's represented were Charter Arms, Taurus and the European American Armory.

The hands down winner for accuracy was the E.E.A. Witness "P" compact 45, with the Patriot giving groups similar to what I have reported in the past. Taurus and Charter arms also were given great reviews with the comment that the Taurus line of SA/DA pistols gave more than adequate accuracy. For those who enjoy and carry revolvers, count me in there, the new Charter Arms South Paw handguns were given nice reviews with the proviso of needing the front sights darkened.

I guess that just about says it all, four quality hand gun manufacturers all given positive reviews for their handguns that run from $300.00 to $375.00. Pick up the magazine and read the reviews, it will be worth the modest investment and your time, it's an eye opener.
G.R.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by himmel »

Love that stuff-- I love to pick up the Taurus and S&W catalogs at the gun shop (he gives 'em away) and compare the prices, selection, etc. IMHO, Taurus has the venerable S&W beat hands-down all around.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I own several Taurus products, PT 92AF 9mm, PT111 9mm, Pt 805B in 38sp., and an early model PT22 all of which are very reliable and very accurate for what they are. The 38sp. and the 9mm's will all handle +P loads. My only complaint is that they are all too bulky for concealed carry save the 22. My S&W 340PD will fit nicely in a pocket holster with shirt worn out and weighs in at 10.5 ounces empty, I can't say that about any of my Taurus products. Still the Taurus products are the better buys, IMO, because of price. How much better can similar S&W products be?
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on September 10th, 2008, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.