AIM Danish Model 58 target rifles

Use this section for all other firearms
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

I know some of you guys are into rifles.
Aim has some Danish target rifles. They are in a recent flyer and not on their website.
These are built on 98 military Mauser actions with a long heavy barrel. They are chambered 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.They come with either a modified military stock for $350 or with a heavy walnut competition stock for $400. Both have nice adjustable peep sights.
Aim had a total of about 150 of these. Four of them went over the counter in the half hour I was there yesterday.
I went in there for ammo but came home with a rifle as well.
Looking forward to trying this thing out.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

donnerwetter58

the 6.5 x 55 is one of the flattest shooting military rifle's ever produced the next one is the 7 x 57

you got one heck of a rifle

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

donnerwetter58,

I got that from AIM also, and was looking at those Danish rifles, they looked in VG conditon, we would appreciate a range report on it, I have to agree with Norm about the 6.5x55, it is one fine round.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

Norm and Papabear,
This is my second 6.5x55. The first is a Swedish M94 carbine I've had for years.
I had the chance to clean up the M58 today.
The 27.5" barrel was in excellent condition internally with minor handling marks on the outside.
The action is marked Mod 98 on the left receiver rail with the code S/27 on the top of the receiver ring. There are Nazi proof marks on the right receiver ring. The bolt has no numbers at all and the magazine / floorplate is all matching but not to the receiver. The trigger is not military. It is an adjustable unit resembling a Timney in appearance.
The sights were in good condition. The rear being micrometer adjustable and the front a tube with replaceable inserts.
The metal finish appears to be dull blue.
The stock is the competition variety in very good shape. There was a piece of compressed paper between the front of the receiver ring and the stock. The four rifles I saw all had this. The compressed paper was .025" thick. It raised the front of the action in the stock. I removed this on reassembly and the barrel was still free floated all the way to the receiver ring.
It was completely disassembled and cleaned. Like most old guns, it needed a good thorough cleaning. I happened to have a new Wolff 24.5 lb firing pin spring so that went in while it was apart.
I'm a handloader and that's what I intend to do for this one. I have 9 boxes of virgin Norma brass just looking for something like this. All I need is bullets. I'll try some 140 gr. HPBT match bullets. I really want to come up with a good cast load. Lyman makes a mold for a modern 150 gr. silhouette bullet I'd like to try.
I've had good results with cast bullets in bolt actions.
I'm more than happy with my purchase at this point.
I don't imagine 150 rifles will last long at Aim.

Dave
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

donnerwetter58,

Thanks for the excellent report on the Danish M58 target rifle, I'm not a reloader as of yet, but been thinking about it for some time. If possible can we have some pic of your new M58.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

A friend of mine called me Wednesday and he was going to order a couple of these and wanted to know if I wanted one too, but I declined. He said he would call and let me know how they looked when they arrive. I will keep you guys posted what he reports.
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

papabear,
I should probably take the time to set up a photobucket account.
At present I have no way of posting photos.
If you need photos, PM an email address and I can send some to you.
Have a great weekend.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

I have been reading about that 6.5x55 cartridge and it sounds like it is really accurate and strong enough to knock deer down. It is very popular in other countries . I WANT ONE ! G
Last edited by garry on October 19th, 2007, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.