Refinishing, refinishing again, photos to date

Use this section for all other firearms
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

Carguy,

I know that the "furnace room" is obviously warm....but you need to check the humidity. If it is very humid, it will impede cure time.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Hey Carguy , I sanded and stained a Mossberg 22 rifle stock once and it took me two years ! So just learn more Patience when doing slow stuff. LOL BTW... my breast still hurts from that Mosin Nagant, maybe I should stop rubbing it now and give it time to heal. hmmm.. :) G
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Ha, Ha, Ha...poop... :P Just for you G

Volfandan you are exactly right. I didn't think about the weather or moisture in the air until today. It has been cool almost cold around here and raining for 4 days. Today is the first relatively mild and clear day this week. I think that is what slowed the cure time so much.

I just checked it and I probably could hit it with some 0000 steel wool then throw another coat on but I figured I'd wait until later just to let it set up and not take any chance of ruining anything!
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

You're right in waiting for it to dry before another 4-ought SW rub.....if it is still tacky to the touch, then a SW rub will not be fun.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Rubbed it down last night in between innings of the Red Sox game and put on another coat. Again it is still a little tacky this morning but nothing like the first coat!!

It is looking great, can't wait to show you guys!! :-/ but I will, hope to show you the completed rifle by week's end. I know it won't be done today and there is some traveling in my plans this week so...we wait. :'(
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Are you doing this on purpose, are you waiting on a drum roll or something, the suspense is killing us.......... ::) cancel the trip, finish the rifle and lets get on with it.......... ;D

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

Just a note to everyone that wants to strip the Shellac of the Russian rifles or any RC weapon. The Shellac is tough to remove with most strippers and chemicals, except Denatured Alcohol! The alcohol will remove it in a "New York Minute". On the RC K98k rifles I have purchased, it takes me about 1 hour to strip, clean and have it ready for BLO treatment. I would have never believed the alcohol would stip it so fast, but when I found out that Chellac Flakes were melted with alcohol, I knew it would remove the Shellac fast. At Lowes or Home Depot, a quart cost about $6 and will do 3 rifle stocks.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

If only I'd REALLY paid attention the first time someone said this!!! :'(
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Great Tip ! Thanks Abwehr ! I am getting ready to strip that repaired Mosin Nagant M44 rifle , and I am Very glad I read that ! I was just gonna try using my orbital sander and get all gummed up. G