Russian Mosin Nagant 91/59

Use this section for all other firearms
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Finally got it back together, the trigger pin came out and I couldn't fine it so I had to make one. This one I did a little different than the 91/38, this stock looks like Birch and it was very light when it dried after I had stripped it and soaked it water to get the dings out. I used a rosewood stain instead of the BLO and I am in the process of of applying Johnson Paste Wax, then a very thin coat of semi-gloss. I wish I had taken a before pic, it was ugly.

papabear
Last edited by papabear on October 1st, 2007, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

papabear
will its pretty now

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

It is beautiful now!! :-/ And what a gorgeous presentation...driftwood, old tree root, what is that? :o

I keep looking at the various supplies around and I can find M-38s, M-44s and 91/59s. I just don't know which one to get. I want a carbine size of the MN 91/30. Is there really any one which is better, more desirable, less desireable???

Opinons are like...you know, cause everyone has one...but I value everybodies on this forum so let me know what you think...after you sing the praises of Papabear's beaut :-* and you know there are members on the Collectors Forum screeming blasphemy and damning you to hell right now for refinishing that rifle!! ;D
Last edited by carguy on October 1st, 2007, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

carguy,

That's drift wood from the Gulf, picked it up at Panama City.

At the price they are going for why not get one of each, at AIM you could get all three for $310. I got the 91/59 cause I didn't have one. IMHO if I was just staring out, for $80 I get the 91/38, and go from there.

The Collectors Forum screaming blasphemy can kiss my grits, but they have that right to scream blasphemy just as much as I have the right to re-finish and improve its looks, I didn't change anything, all I did was re-finish the stock, but according to them they are preserving a rearsenaled MN and calling it history, so be it. The original MN didn't have the shallac varnish poured on them.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

Nice!!!
I have all three, at the low prices you can't beat them.someday they will dry up to.
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

It is beautiful now!! :-/ And what a gorgeous presentation...driftwood, old tree root, what is that? :o

I keep looking at the various supplies around and I can find M-38s, M-44s and 91/59s. I just don't know which one to get. I want a carbine size of the MN 91/30. Is there really any one which is better, more desirable, less desireable???

Opinons are like...you know, cause everyone has one...but I value everybodies on this forum so let me know what you think...after you sing the praises of Papabear's beaut :-* and you know there are members on the Collectors Forum screeming blasphemy and damning you to hell right now for refinishing that rifle!! ;D
carguy,

I'd go with the M-38...IMHO. I really like all of them from what I've seen and "fondled", but if I had to pick just one carbine version it's be the 38. The 44 is definitely cool, but I just don't really get much use out of a bayonet, and it's NOT DETACHABLE. The 59 is great too, but quite a bit more $$$. So, $ for $, I'd get a laminated 38. Just my two cents.

Oh, and yes....the collectors forum guys would hate papabear for refinishing the stock....TRUST ME, I KNOW FIRST HAND! They already hate me and my shellac question.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

I agree...M38 it is. Now my research who has the best in stock? Some have hardwood, some laminate, others have M44 grooved stocks on M38...don't want one of those.

We'll see what I can find and I'll let you know when I do.

Then the fun starts all over again. :'(
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

I can understand why they dont like the refinishing work..
after all there were only12485768594789495859684839385954958494459585959382382749459650606838349859658668 made and that was in just one plant I believe Tula and one country alone I happen to love em all but unless they are giving grants or washing my car on weekends go away mad or not...
come on give me a break here .we are not talking a holy grail one of a kind.
anyway they should thank a guy like Papabear he increased the value of their rifles by removing his from pristine collector version
stock.(sorry couldnt resist pun like humor )
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

grayfox,

I have all three too [M44, M38 and M59], I have shot the M44 and M38 and I love the sound, the flash, especially at night, and the kick. The kick ranks right up there with the #5 Enfield Jungle Carbine, until the Yugo 59/66 SKS came out it was the #5 was the only military rifle I know of that had a rubber butt pad. I'll have to get to the range and give the M59 a go.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

Papabear,
I,m just a packrat. I go from guns to spears to guns to arrowheads to guns to swords to whatever I like when I see it. I have a lot of guns I've never shot, but it sure is a great hobby.
I work just a few days a week & as soon as I get a paycheck, I,m on the prowl......
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

I agree...M38 it is.
Carguy, look into a 91/59. You can slide the rear sight base off the receiver and you'll have 3/8" dovetail begging for rings. Best of all, no permanent modification! ;D
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Awesome Job Papabear !!! That is Sweeeeet Looking! As you know, Mine is all beat up so to see them in such fantastic shape is a dream ! You are very good at it ! MAN 'O Man ! I have that really light colored M44 and I am a fan of dark walnut type stains (as long as the grain is easy to see). Your's is A Perfect -IN-Between shade !IMHO.

Carguy, I have the M44 and as accurate as it is~ I want the long rifle so I can see the true capability of these great rifles. A 91/30 is Positively MY next choice and I know I will be extremely happy with it. I can find a scope mount for it or make one myself but it will be worth it and the rifles are priced just right ! Whatever you choose you will like it alot. G

(subliminal message: Go Long, size matters.)
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

BTW ... you can always use the bayonet as a rifle stand if you have nothing to lean it against. or for a shish-kabob. or to stick a charging wooly pig? G
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

Beauty of a 91/59ya got there. I even think it looks great the way you have it. Great job!!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

papabear,

That is one awesome looking rifle! Job well done.

As to the Collectors Forum folks, yea there is hitory to the rifle, but as "anjdrifter" stated, a BUNCH were made and you won't hurt the value. Anyway, the rifle is yours to please yourself!

I like it!