M44 Cracked stock

Use this section for all other firearms
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by garry »

While shooting my Mosin Nagant yesterday, I looked down to see that the stock had split against the grain. I am pretty sure that my shoulder also split about the same time. I am so sore today.
It shot two very nice groups before I noticed it. I was already loaded so I finished off the last two rounds of S&B Ammo. It shot accurate still.
I am going to look into a replacement first and then synthetic . I still want a 91/30 Long RIFLE (quit grinning Norm. :D ) Will the Synthetic Sporter stocks fit the M44? (I think someone asked that here before but I can't recall what thread.) If you guys have any good links to buy m44 stocks and/or some good synthetic stocks I'd sure appreciate it! Thanks , G
BTW...3" groups w/iron sights @50yds from benchrest.
Here are a few Pics of the split:
Last edited by garry on September 24th, 2007, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by manicmechanic »

You may be able to salvage the stock with the Gorilla glue treatment.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by garry »

yes i could glue it and screw it, and i may still, i figured the stocks can't be too expensive since the gun was so cheaply priced . I hope . I would like to get another in better shape since this one didn't match #'s with the rest of the gun anyways. whatever i do ~ I need a buttpad BIGTIME. My shoulder is getting sorer the more i move around today ! haha
Thanks , G
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

M44 Cracked stock

Post by normsutton »

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by garry »

That looks like some pretty good stuff. Have you tried it ? I am not sure how i will get any kind of substance down into the crack unless i put it in a vise and torque it open and that isn't wise. I think a really wet type of liquid might get in there but it looks too thin about 1/32" or maybe less.
The more i look at it , the more I am drifting towards synthetic. The action has a ton of play. It slides back and forth AND side to side . That AcraGlas could come in handy for bedding a synthetic stock ,I see. I will just have to wait for a new one ($$) I like the looks of the Mosin Nagant stock at CheaperThanDirt. com, tho I don't know if it will fit the M44.
That Brownell's site has them ,but, no pictures. They also have a Walnut stock for my Marlin 60 rifles, Yeah! Thanks for the link Norm !!! G
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by garry »

BTW... I saw a site that had Mosin nagant Buttplate @ 5 for $10-12 but i don't recall where, Norm , do you know of a few more surplus parts sites ? I re-installed XP on here and i need to build up all of my gun related sites , so if you guys want to throw some of your more often used links to gun parts and surplus gun and parts suppliers , that would be really helpful ! Thanks Guys, G
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

M44 Cracked stock

Post by dfunk »

Ha! I've not seen that one before - a butt plate that just doesn't want to fit. Wow. For the price of those synthetics, you should be able to justify a new rifle altogether, yes? In any case, you'd probably have to let some of it out if you intend to keep the bayo affixed.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

M44 Cracked stock

Post by normsutton »

Last edited by normsutton on September 24th, 2007, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by trent »

tennessee guns has nagant parts, but I don't have a link
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

M44 Cracked stock

Post by bzinggg »

normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

M44 Cracked stock

Post by normsutton »

Last edited by normsutton on September 25th, 2007, 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by garry »

HEY GUYS !!! THIS IS WONDERFUL OF YOU ALL !!!!!
Thank you guys all soooo much ! This will keep me busy all week looking thru these kewl links. You guys are the greatest ! Thanks again, G
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by garry »

Norm~~~ You Rule ! G
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by garry »

I was looking at Ruger stuff last night and i believe i have found out what buttplate is on there now. The Ruger model 44 carbine(M44) buttplate is like the one on my Mosin Nagant. I think someone ordered the wrong part and just put it on anyways hahaha. My neighbor let me shoot his model 44 carbine last week and i will look at the buttplate again ,but, I am almost positive that is what is on my MN. Stranger things have happened, It takes all kinds to make this world go around!!! G
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by garry »

WOW Numrich has a used one for $ 9.95 ! Woot Woot !!! G