M44 Cracked stock

Use this section for all other firearms
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by abwehr »

Garry,

WOW, I have never seen a stock split like that before! I wonder what kind of wood the Russians used on that one? The stock from Numrich should take care of you and the price is great too! Glad you got this problem solved.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by carguy »

Garry,

WOW, I have never seen a stock split like that before! I wonder what kind of wood the Russians used on that one? The stock from Numrich should take care of you and the price is great too! Glad you got this problem solved.
Like abwher said that stock really split bad. I asked Garry if it split or if he was just having a bad day at the range and decided to beat the crap out of something with his rifle butt?! :'(

Wow I can't imagine a worse split. Lucky you didn't hurt yourself!
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by grayfox »

noveltyguns is slow as hell, it took me over two months to get some grease gun mags, and shipping is steep.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by grayfox »

Here is a stock from centerfire
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

M44 Cracked stock

Post by dfunk »

Grayfox, is that yours? If so, may I ask what scope you have on there and how well that scout mount is holding up? Thanks!
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by garry »

No Carguy~ Any day I get to shoot the Mosin Nagant Makes for a Great day ! Poo Poopy Doo lol

Grayfox ~ Your Rifle looks "Killer". I still think about getting that cool stock. When the good times($$) come I will get one and also a "Long 91/30 RIFLE" Ahem. I also am curious about that scope, and how well does it handle the bucking from a MN?
Well Guys, some will laugh , But while I am waiting to order the new stock , I went ahead and duct taped it all up and i think it'll hold! G
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by garry »

hehee Here is what I REALLY did ~~~

Depending on the outcome(after sanding) I might paint it with that bed liner coating or something. It will probably set in a closet after I get a new stock anyways. So far , it looks "good enough" for me , I know it is good and solid now anyways.
The tang chipped out some ,so I am pretty sure the cause was loose action screws . That seems to be the reason since it jumped up enough to chip it out right off the top of the area where the mounting screw is, under the safety knob. Where wood meets metal the wood really took a beating. I suggest that you guys check yours and make sure they are torqued down as specified. I have heard the tourque was around 12-16 lbs. ??? Any one know? My neighbor has that screwdriver/torque set from Midway, and it workes wonderfully . I am definitely getting one. It comes with all kinds of gunsmithing screwdriver bit sizes and they are nice quality! I don't recall what the name of the brand is but it is a very popular set. anyways i will show some close ups off it after i get the clamp off. ( The screws tightened it down but i had to add a clamp to squeeze some more glue out along the edges.)
That DAP Weldwood is some strong stuff. I have had that bottle for a several years and all the projects that I have used it on are still very strong. G
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by abwehr »

Garry,

You did a superb job on that stock! I would not have imagined you could get it looking so good!
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by carguy »

Garry, you multi-talented son of a gun. That looks great!

Be careful shooting it if you paint it with that bedliner stuff...you'll get a rug burn... :P
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by garry »

Thanks Abwher ! Unfortunately It will never look "right " again but It'll do fine for me to shoot with til a new one comes. I left room for some wood filler in the holes.
I'll get to it as soon as i can ya know. I am not too picky on this old war horse. as long as I can shoot it~ I'm happy. These are just a blast to shoot !

Carguy~ HAHAHAHA that is probably right , I never thought about that,HAHAHA! I guess my winter beard could pad it? G
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by garry »

winter beard 1
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by carguy »

Damn, you need to be careful shooting or else that beard will wear off whatever finish you put on.. :'(
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by garry »

Carguy~ HAHAHAA Good One Doooood ! G
that is my Mini-Beard
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by garry »

YEEEEE HAAAAWWWWW !!
just thought i'd go for a giggle. G
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

M44 Cracked stock

Post by garry »

well, Here is the stock after glueing and screwing. It is VERY solid. Once i fill the holes and sand it down, it should look pretty good !
I was wrong about it not matching #'s with the rest of the gun, I just looked under the buttplate and it is all matching. #4141 -Good deal. after i get all that shellac looking finish off of it i will try one of those recipes for refinishing it. I will post more pics as i get it going. G