Just got a Blue envelope in mail from Atlanta!!!

Use this section for all other firearms
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

barnett3006,

I sent the application off in the mail on Monday 9/10 and received my C&R License in the mail on Saturday 9/22. I sent a postal money order.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Took mine about 3 weeks and I sent in a check.

If it hit your account then it's in process...keep a close eye out, I'll bet it will show up this week... 8-)
Last edited by carguy on September 29th, 2007, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by dolang1 »

abwehr, What is the down side to a C&R license? My FFL,also a friend told me I didn't need it, but after reading this "Blue envelope post", I want one real bad. I've only sold two guns in my life, I just buy them and keep them forever. Later Don
saands

Post by saands »

The only real downside is that you are required to keep track of what you get, who you get it from, and who you sell/give it to ... when you renew, they will ask you how many you acquired and disposed of in the previous 3 years and you are required to keep the records for 20 years after you decide that you no longer want to collect with an 03FFL ... I think that is really the only down side ...

Saands
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

you forgot the other downsized checking account
saands

Post by saands »

Well ... I guess the ol saying "Don't start anything you aren't prepared to finish!" plays well in this context ... I guess if you are married, then you had better be prepared to increase the frequency with which you buy something nice for your spouse as well ... that ooooooosh sound is the money leaving your account!

Saands
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

The only real downside is that you are required to keep track of what you get, who you get it from, and who you sell/give it to ... when you renew, they will ask you how many you acquired and disposed of in the previous 3 years and you are required to keep the records for 20 years after you decide that you no longer want to collect with an 03FFL ... I think that is really the only down side ...

Saands
Having to keep records doesn't include modern non-C&R firearms that you buy at the same time that you hold the 03FFL (obviously not with the C&R) does it? What about C&R guns that you own prior to having the license? Do you have to keep the C&R gun in its original condition while in your possession? I wanted to buy a budget priced Yugo SKS and build a tactical beater gun (sans grenade launcher) with a synthetic Fusion stock and 20 rnd mags from www.tapco.com
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

barnett

On SKS's if you start changing things on them ,they won't be C&R any more and there is a lot of legal issue's

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php? ... board=12.0

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

As Norm mentioned there are alot of issues making an SKS into a tactical shooter. But the dilemma is if you do it to insure you keep it legal, not necessarily keeping it C&R. The way I understand it if any alteration is made to a firearm purchased as C&R, as long as the firearm can easily be returned to the original C&R configuration there is not an issue with the ATF and acquisition as a C&R. The issue is with an SKS and a law regarding how many parts are import and not etc, I'm not totally familiar with it but be careful, making what many consider an "ugly black rifle" can be treading on thin legalities. And each state obviously has different laws on top of the federal ones. :'(
saands

Post by saands »

There is NO rule as far as I know that says a C&R acquisition needs to stay in that config or even be returnable to that config. Your records should not include any non-C&R acquisition or disposition, however, your records do need to include all C&R acquisitions and dispositions even if your license was not needed (a face to face transfer, for example, of a Turkish Mauser would need to go in the log, even though you could have purchased it without being a C&R holder ... the purchase of a Glock pistol, however never gets in the book).

The way I read the rules, you DO need to log ALL C&R firearms that you get rid of, even if you had the firearm before you were an 03FFL ... but that firearm doesn't need to be in the book until you get rid of it as the acquisition isn't logged, only the disposition in this case.

Hope that helps,
Saands
saands

Post by saands »

Oh ... on the subject of that SKS project ... going with the detachable or even 20round fixed mags will likely put you on the wrong side of section 922 (manufacturing a semi-auto rifle from foreign parts that wouldn't be importable) ... MUCH care is required on that one!

Saands
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

As far as your bound book goes, I tend to err on the side of having too much and not needing it.

I have a page that includes all my firearms "Pre-C&R", then all non-C&R firearms "Post C&R" and finally all C&R firearms "Post-C&R" acquisitions. Of course all pages have spots for "ALL" sales especially sales of C&R firearms that were owned "Pre C&R" but sold under the "Post C&R".

I hope that makes sense. Basically I have a list of everything available and anything I've ever done with them if I ever were to need it. :'(
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

carguy

WHO'S ON FRIST

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on October 1st, 2007, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

I DON'T KNOW... ???
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

carguy

WHO'S ON FRIST

NORM
wheres on second

oh abbott