Just got a Blue envelope in mail from Atlanta!!!

Use this section for all other firearms
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

Just got my C&R in the mail! I sent off the application on Monday 9-10-07 and my license came Saturday 9-22-07. Pretty fast, I think. Of course, it probably helps that I only live 2.5 hours from Atlanta. Anyway, I just can't decide what to get first - an MN M-38 or a Yugo M-48 Mauser.......ahh the tough decisions! My wife is really not going to like this AT ALL.
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

BTW,

I just thought all of you should know how great of a guy carguy is. I had downloaded a C&R application from cruffler.com, and found out that it was an old form....outdated since May '06. Carguy immediately mailed me an extra official form application that he had. Heck of guy, that carguy!
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

As they say...misery loves company :'(

Not really misery I just couldn't come up with anything better like a cow pissing on a flat rock or something silly like that! :P

Those of us that already hold a C&R want everyone possible to endure the same mental exercises we perform regularly...which to buy next, what can I afford and where to store it so my better half won't find out?!?! ;D

In the tradition of everyone on this forum, I am glad that I could be of assistance.

Now go forth and accumulate... :P
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

I mailed my application in on 9-16, they charged my card on the 20th and I hope to be getting my C&R this week!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

volfandan,

Hey, CONGRATULATIONS on getting your license! Now you will stay in the "doghouse" with the wife for buying all these great firearms, and your wallet will always be empty. The GREAT thing is you will have all these fun toys! Honestly, they are good buys and most increase in value so it is actually money in the Bank. Tough decision on which to buy first, the MN 91/30 or the Yugo M-48. Both are good rifles. Here is a list of rifles and contacts:
1. M48 Yugo Mauser - check out Aim Surplus, I have heard good things about their price and quality. Centerfire Systems has the 24/47 straight Bolt for $149 in Exc. Condition or $99 in used condition.
2. Mosin Nagant 91/30 or MN M44 - Centerfire Arms has either of them for $79.99 w/bayonet
3. Yugo SKS 59/66 - Centerfire has like new for $239 or VG for $179. Aim Surplau may have them a little cheaper. This is an EXCELLENT and fun rifle to get; just ask "Normsutton", he is the resident SKS expert.
4. Czech CZ-82 - Several places have them for $200. An excellent pistol as a great price. Usually has holster and spare magazines.
5. Swiss K-31 - Several places for about $150-200 according to condition. These are superb rifles, but the ammo is a little expensive.
6. List can go on & on. Be sure to let your wallet cool once in a while, but have fun getting them shipped to your door!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

volfandan

DON'T FORGET TO SEND A COPY OF YOUR C & R TO

http://www.brownells.com

http://www.midwayusa.com

http://www.gunpartscorp.com

for dealer discounts

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

Thanks for the info and suggestions, fellas. I'm off today, so I'll be going to Kinkos to make copies and the post office to buy stamps (if I use all my wifes stamps to send off C&R copies.....oooh, let's not go there).

Here is a question:

If I go to my local gun shop to buy a C&R firearm, and show them/give them a copy of my license.......will I be exempt from the TICS fee of $10? (TICS = TN Instant Check System)
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

volfandan

It depends on the gun shop, some gun shops wont recognize C & R

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

My experience , is that almost all will take it as all you need. I ran into a shop month or so ago. that said he runs everyone for everything .That is his prerogative and maybe he has had problems with ATF, maybe not, maybe he is just cautious, maybe he isnt as sure as he thinks he is of all the regs... I also believe some places resent the C&R, they see it as competition.. I am sure of the one thing with my encounter there, I left with the money I had in pocket when I got there,which was my prerogative(we are not charged anything in DE for the state check)..Really dont know Tenn regs so I am sure some from TN will let you rules in your venue.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

volfandan,

Congrats on getting your C&R license, I think......... ;D I decided to forgo getting a C&R because for one thing I would be buying even more guns than I have now and I do good to just keep track of what I already have and I hate keeping records for myself much less for the government. A C&R is a good thing though, especially for those getting started, that want to buy 50 year old guns with a few exceptions, ie., the CZ82. It's not a license to buy and sell, but it does save some money by not having to go through a FFL and pay their fees or in most cases you avoid a call in and the dreaded 3 day wait in most states. So for me its six of one and a half a dozen of the the other if a C&R is worth it or not, for me it's not, but I know several that do have a C&R license and they really like having it, just my $0.02 worth.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

volfandan,

You will have a Blast with the C&R license! You will also be a little poorer too, LOL! But the upside is all the great toys you can get delivered to your house. Most gunshops will accept the license, but the one I usually go to in Greenville, SC will take it, but they still call in for a background check; they said they are going to caution on the safe side. This is a good gunshop, fair pricing,but they are not very friendly.

I have had my C&R for about 12 years now and plan to keep it. I have never been checked, but I keep all my paperwork in order. I also keep ALL receipts in chronological order so I can go to the line in my Bound Book. When you get the ATF Regulations books, read them and folow the rules and you will not have any problems. By the way, follow Norms suggestion and send your license to the 3 companies he noted and get some good discounts on reloading, parts, etc. Heck, I buy most of the reloading stuff from Midway for several buddies so they can save a few $$$.
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

abwehr,

so will the ATF send me a regulations book in the mail, or do I need to order one? I have already put together a bound notebook with acquisition/disposition sheets that I found on cruffler.com.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Oh you should get a really big thick envelope with all of your regs and a C&R list and even some forms for filing an address change, lost or stolen firearms etc!! Keep an eye out it will come and your postman will hate you... :D
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

volfandan,

Yea, as "carguy" stated, you will get Federal and State regulations books and other stuff you probably won't need/use, but read it and keep it.

When I first got mine, I went thru both regulations and highlighted all the C&R areas and listed the page number so I could reference back quickly. All this reading/marking made me remember much better without having to go back to the book. The State regulations is very interesting to read concerning the laws in various States. Read the Tennessee Laws real good and know them.

By the way, when you find something to buy and the dealer does not have your license, I call and ask how he wants a copy sent. I can Fax or send a color copy electronic copy. Dealers are funny, most want a fax copy, the eletronic copy and only a few require an original signed copy. I like the eletronic copy because when you print it out, it looks like an original signed copy, but most want a fax.

Lastly, when I order firearms from dealers, some will send you a copy of their license, some have the number on the receipt, and some don't send you "Squat". When you fill in your bound Book info, I recommend putting as much info into the little as possible, even with the FFL number they supply. The better detail you have in the book, the easier it would be IF you ever get checked. Keep the Bound Book current, by law, you have 24 hours to log a firearm in/out. Yesterday I was looking at my Bound Book and noticed that I sold a rifle in 2004 to a friend of mine and I logged the rifle out to him on the next line up......my goof, but I fixed it quickly, LOL. You will now be a HAPPY, but POORER person now with the C&R>
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

Hey Volfandan,

How long from the time you sent in your C&R application until you got your blue envelope did you wait? I sent mine in 2 weeks ago and got nothin yet but a charge to my bank account :(