"Will penetrating oil "kill" primers?"

Post by anjdrifter »

norm that was really interesting...
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Thanks Norm, I've always appreciated the Box of Truth, its always down to earth and simple and goes directly to the point. Makes you wonder how rumors like that get started, that guy was educated beyond his intelligence for sure, just another frustrated scribe.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

Had never seen that site before ,,, I have just gotten back from being lost ;D in there...great site...
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

I could of sworn WD 40 would have screwed primers up in a loaded round

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

I could of sworn WD 40 would have screwed primers up in a loaded round

NORM
Me, too. I still will not be using WD-40. I only saw one kind of ammo there. Some primers could be sealed imperviously to the kerosene in WD-40, and some others might not. It's ambiguous, and he admits it on the first page.

bZ.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Norm,

I'm not a analytical chemist nor a expert on penetrating oil, but why would this be a issue of these oils dripping from the firing pin onto the primers or maybe a better question is why would anyone put that much oil on a firing pin or in the firing pin chamber in the first place. Not trying to be a smart a*# here, but that makes no sense to me at all, and I have never heard of a non-firing round because of oil on the primer. Am I missing something here, please fill me in.

I have cleaned my share of guns in the last 50 years myself and shot a untold number of rounds, I have been on pistol teams for years, in the military and as a civilian and that issue never came up. Until this thread I had never heard of this. I do have to say it is a interesting theory as far as oil dripping on the primers of loaded guns, but I will put this issue to rest because I never use WD40 on any of my guns and I have never had oil dripping from my firing pins.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

papabear

I use WD 40 on my guns , I buy it in gal.can and use a pump sprayer to make sure there isn't any water in or on my guns then I use a compressor and blow it off then its whipped down or just whipped down and lightly re oiled but never dripping . I use to live in south FL. its a little drier up here in central FL. but by not much .

I did see a guy that used so much oil on he's Mini 14 that it sprayed oil every where when he shot it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

Norm, I agree, WD40 certainly does not hurt if you oil afterwards. Somebody has to actually prove that WD40 will harm primers before I believe the standard BS.

The theory is not new papabear. I reported a Hornady 9x18 squib some years ago and a lot of posters said that it was my fault, that I must have used too much oil on the pistol. Well I'm like you - I have some cleaning/lubrication experience thouroughly beaten into me by the military and I don't over-oil.

But a lot of posters state that WD40, in particular, will ruin primers. Along with the oil from your fingers. Prove it. The tests should not be hard to set up.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Norm and nbender,

Thanks for your replies, I wasn't knocking WD40, I keep a lot of it for the home and vehicles, I just have never had a need for it on my guns. I have used Hoppe's #9 for years, I still use it, but I got a great deal at a show in Tallahassee a couple years ago on some Rem Oil and Remington's Wonder Lube with teflon that contains no CFC's, and I also use Eezox for eliminating moisture and preventing rust especially for the one's I store in the safe, it is fantastic stuff.

I guess there are folks out there that oil their guns that way, and more power to em, and I guess that's fine for them. but I would never treat my guns that way, like you both, I was taught by my dad and the military to care for my weapons and for me if it ain't broke, I don't fix it or change it. Its good to know though that we have on this board some guys that know their stuff and share it with all of us.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

papabear

I know you weren't knocking WD 40, I use HOPPES # 9 too ,to clean my bore's, there have been times that all I had was WD.40 to clean out my bore's and oil my gun's but a least they got cleaned .

there is a list of stuff that you can use WD 40 for that has been going around the web, some it true

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

thanks for the link..
I use wd 40 on many many things. I have used it occasionally on weapons and found no problems...
there are some things not to be forgotten.. KEEP away from open flames or arcing sparks. also when around car engines make sure the vapors are dissipated before starting. if you see cloudy vapors be real careful.. the stuff is really fast to burn ..
or this occurrs

:(
Last edited by anjdrifter on September 20th, 2007, 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

Norm,

That was some good information!! I have used all the products in the test and never had any problems with primers "killed" from oil. If the WD-40 did not "seep" in the the seated primer, nothing probably will.

In the past, I have used Primer Sealer to make sure no moisture, oil, etc. got to the primer, but I stopped wasting my time doing that years ago. My "gut feeling" was that if the primer was seated properly, there was a good seal. Like you, I use a lot of WD-40 and buy it buy the gallon too. It does a great job for rust protection.