I've Been Bad

Use this section for all other firearms
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

I've Been Bad

Post by abwehr »

Well, most of you guys know when you get a "wild hair" and I got one; something has to happen........ I found this rifle, and I bought it; Another K98k Mauser RC. Last Tuesday afternoon, I checked Empire Arms website and Dennis Kroh had just listed some new rifles. There was one that appreared to be very nice so I bought it!

This is a 1939 Mauser-Borsigwalde, RC with the corresponding mis-matched parts. The bore is like a piece of glass; I have seen new production commercial rifles with bores worse than this one. The dip blue is the best I have seen on any RC rifle, this goes to show when time is taken with the manufacture of these earlier war rifles, even the Russians have a tough time screwing them up. The stock is a little unusual, as it has the E/S over "L"; a Luftwaffe stock. It is a shame it was not matched to the rifle.

All I did was remove the Russian Shellac, clean the rifle and reassemble.

Attached are some photos of my latest aquisition!

space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

I've Been Bad

Post by space »

There seems to be a huge piece of wood sticking through the stock/trigger guard. Send it to me and I'll see if I can fix it for you.

...nice :)
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

I've Been Bad

Post by normsutton »

abwehr

nice

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

I've Been Bad

Post by papabear »

Very nice abwehr, thanks for sharing, I really like RC K98's, for the price they are hard to beat.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

I've Been Bad

Post by himmel »

wowwww....
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

I've Been Bad

Post by carguy »

Beautiful abwehr but what is on the end of the barrel? Is that something to do with the sight or part of the muzzel/barrel??
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

I've Been Bad

Post by abwehr »

carguy,

I forgot to remove that for the photos, LOL! That is a German, Rubber Muzzle Cover. In approx. 1939-1940, they replaced the steel Muzzle Cover that had the flip-up cover with the Sight Protector that clipped over the front sight. The Rubber Cover was developed for to keep dust, dirt, snow, etc out of the bore. There were four covers issued with every rifle along with the Cleaning Kit. The good part of these covers is that if forget to remove it, you can shoot it off without hurting the barrel.

I bought some items from IMA and saw they had some and I had used all the others I had and I bought a three-pack. Reading their advertisement for them, they sounded like originals, but these have a little molded-in plug that just slightly fits into the bore. I don't think these are originals, but they look OK for an RC.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

I've Been Bad

Post by papabear »

abwehr,

I really enjoy finding and collecting the various accessories for the rifles I collect, ie., bayonets/scabbards, slings, cleaning kits, etc, etc, I only have one K98 and its a RC, I'll have to take a pic of it and post it here, but I try to collect all the items I can find that go with the rifle. Here is a Troddel/Knot that was used mostly for "Dress" and each unit had their own Troddel. My neighbor that was in WWII and in Germany brought this Troddel back with him, so it is a "bring back"......[no import marks....lol] . I can't remember off hand the unit this one is for, I'll have to get back with you on that, but it was behind the lines outfit, anyway just wanted to share this with you.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

I've Been Bad

Post by abwehr »

papabear,

Thanks for sharing the photo and information. I am like you; I like to get the accessories for each rifle. After a while, I was spending too much for multiple accessories, so I slowed down a bit. On the RC rifles I do get the repo slings, cleaning rod, locking screws, and muzzle covers. Last week I received one of the RG34 Cleaning Kits from IMA to go with one of the rifles. I have one other cleaning kit that goes with my original, all matching byf 42 rifle. With this rifle I have the original bayonet, ammo pouches and original sling.

I would like to have a bayonet for each rifle, but the cost of them is more than I want to spend on them. IMA has a repo bayonet for $40, but heck 5 of those will almost buy another rifle, LOL!
Last edited by abwehr on September 16th, 2007, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

I've Been Bad

Post by papabear »

abwehr,

More than understand what you are saying about the cost, it adds up quick. Like I said I just have the one RC K98, its a 1944 byf with barrel and receiver markings with a Waffenamt eagle with the #135 under it. I believe the #135 is for the Mauser Werke A.G. works. I do have a repo sling, but the bayonet/scabbard/frog and toddel are all original, don't have a cleaning rod but do have the locking screws but don't believe they are original. I also have a pre-war cleaning kit, with all the parts except the cleaning patch, it is the unpainted metal container w/brass closure clips and has a waffenamt stamped on the end where the cleaning patch goes. I have 60 rounds of 1939 8mm ammo, and a original leather ammo pouch that is only in fair condition, but it shows well.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

I've Been Bad

Post by abwehr »

In my last post, I mentioned the all matching K98k. I downloaded some photos of the rifle from my computer to Photobucket a few minutes ago.

Below are photos of an all matching K98k. This is a Mauser Oberndorf, "byf 42". This is the one I have the Bayonet, two Ammo Pouches, and Cleaning Kit which came with the rifle. I don't know if they came from the same German Soldier or not, but it is a neat package. The rifle is in the 93% condition I think. This rifle has not been messed with and look at the Stock, it is not a "smooth" finish, and this is probably the way it left the factory. I sure wonder how this rifle made it thru WWII without much use. I would surmise it came from the early European Theater of Operations and had been with the soldier since 1942 and did not see much battle until after D-Day. This is just an assumption, you never know who, where, or how it got here and finally in my possetion.

Here are the photos:
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

I've Been Bad

Post by papabear »

Very Nice........... ;D :-/ I would be drooling all over that one if it were mine, thanks for posting the the pic's..........my wish list just got larger.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

I've Been Bad

Post by manicmechanic »

Man, you guys sure don't make it easy to surf this forum. I get the," I've gotta get me one of those sometime blues" every time I look down here at the bottom of the forum list, (other firearms). Some very nice examples of classic weaponry, second to none, are owned by quite a few of the members here!! :-*
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

I've Been Bad

Post by carguy »

+1 with the "kidney stone kid" manic...abwehr, what can I say...another fabulous example of what makes us want more! :-*