Just being cranky I guess

Use this section for all other firearms
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

but I found an article while I was surfing and it just kinda got my goat a bit.. The guy was pitching carry guns for persons who really aren't that interested in firearms, who don't figure to spend much time at a range, but who still feel the need for a firearm for self-defense. So he recommends a Kel-Tec, saying that although there have been reliability issues they can be resolved if you keep the gun well-lubed, put it through a break-in regimen, use the right ammo, and don't limp-wrist it--Carry a 9mm, he says--sure, there's quite a bit of recoil in a light-weight gun in 9mm, but that's the "nature of the beast"... So we have a pistolero recommending that the novice who has no intention of becoming a pro (or even a dedicated amateur) carry a high-maintenance piece with significant recoil that won't function if it's not held properly--am I missing something here?? ???
Last edited by himmel on September 15th, 2007, 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

himmel,

You did NOT miss anything! Whoever the writer was needs some instructions. First, ANYONE carrying a firearm, needs to have training, and practice a little. If they don't intend to need it, don't want to practice, but still have some type protection, they need a revolver, in my opinion, and in a .38 Special caliber with Cor-Bon type bullets. Automatic pistols can get you shot in a defensive situation if you don't understand them.

I like auto pistols, but the one in my nightstand is a Taurus .44 Spec. My wife has an early manufactured Charter Arms .38 Spec on her side and she can shoot it, but is not a firearms person like me. The venerable revolver WORKS for most anyone if you pull back the hammer and pull the trigger.

Anyone that has a firearm SHOULD take some training so they will not be danger to themselves or other is in the home.
Last edited by abwehr on September 15th, 2007, 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

+1 with abwehr........... :)

The scribe that wrote that article was educated beyond his intelligence IMHO, Kel-Tec or not, for the novice, a wheel gun is the safest and most practical way to go. I love my auto's too, but I too keep a wheel gun [usually a S&W m36] next to my bed, simple and easy to use, especially after coming out of a dead sleep.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

Good post himmel that brought good replies. I don't think that any of us who contribute to gun forums are guilty of having "carry guns for persons who really aren't that interested in firearms", but it's our duty to spread the type of messages that abwher and papabear posted in reply to that bonehead's opinion.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Once again the media believes someone who proclaims to know what is good for others and prints those opinions without ever reading, investigating or using common sense and having another "expert" confirm or rebutt the claims.

This guy must be a politician...he's got the media in his pocket and he has opinions about what others should be doing and has no clue himself! ::)

Goodness help us if he has opinions on social security, the war in Iraq and the economy!!
Last edited by carguy on September 15th, 2007, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I owned a P11 with a 40SW conversion at one time and got rid of them, both were reliable but the accuracy was just so so. I still own a P32 that I carry in the front pocket of my shorts during the summer and it is very reliable. The P3AT pistole's from Kel-Tec have been littered with problems that run the gamete of failed extractors and ejectors, trigger spring failures, failures to feed and recoil springs shooting out the front end of the guide rod hole. The PF9 suffers with many of the same issues and changes to the P11 have created problems with ejection, extraction and metal breakage. All Kel-Tec pistole's need what the company calls a fluff and buff before they "may" function properly. I know that Kel-Tec can build decent entry level auto pistole's because I have owned several.
What I know about the current products has led me to dissuade friends from purchasing them at any price. Kel-Tec is a company in trouble, poor quality materials, poor quality control and design failures are the issues of the day at Kel-Tec. The current guns are dangerous, they don't work properly. Thousands of them have been bought, loaded and never fired. They are setting in dresser drawers waiting to be used when needed and sooner or later some one is going to loose their life because they purchased a Kel-Tec handgun that doesn't work. There are many of you who will disagree because you own one that works, I do too. I know I will not be popular with many for my thoughts, so be it. But, before you dismiss my comments as biased idiotic ramblings, please take the time to go to the "KTOG" (Kel-Tec owners group) web site and peruse the entry's made about the various products, by owners, who have returned their purchases four, five and six times just to give up in disgust. Then consider this thought, If current Kel-Tec handguns were automobiles, would you let your son, daughter or spouse drive one?
Gunney Rabbit.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on September 15th, 2007, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

GR-- I certainly won't have any hard feelings about your opinion! But then, I'm an atavism, an "all steel" guy in a polymer world.. ::) PapaB, good point about the deep sleep--someone else brought up the same issue in another article I read-- I use my Nagant for the "house gun" for the same reasons you mentioned. Carguy--I think the guy was another gun aficionado, but like papabear said, educated beyond common sense Abwehr , nbender, and all--thanks for the support, if I was just being cranky at least I'm in darn good company!! LOL! It's just funny what'll get to a person sometimes, some of you know I got similarly exercised after seeing some guys at a gunshop (boyfriend and salesman) pushing a Glock on a gun-novice lady who couldn't even rack the slide...
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

My sweetheart loves her "little Smith" .38 special +p revolver. Pity the poor soul that ventures in with malice afore-thought!
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Methinks that soul better take more afore-thoughts before entering... 8-)
Last edited by himmel on September 15th, 2007, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.