Astra Constable II

Use this section for all other firearms
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Astra Constable II

Post by himmel »

Anyone know anything about these? reliability, etc? One of the shops here has one, it re-appeared after disappearing off the shelf for awhile--I think if something doesn't sell after a certain time period, the guy puts it in the back room for awhile and then brings it out again.. ::)
It's a .380 BTW, so I can guess what Norm would think... :D
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Astra Constable II

Post by abwehr »

himmel,

I had one years ago and it was a well made, accurate pistol. Back then I could not afford a Walther PP, but the Astra was priced where I could buy it. I did not shoot it a lot, but everytime I shot it, it fired and placed the bullet near where I was aiming (most of the error was mine and not the pistol, LOL).

I always thought Astra made quality pistols!
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Astra Constable II

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I own a Constable and the quality of materials and craftsmanship is excellent. Mine kicks like a hoarse, not unlike the P64, just heavier. I'm sure the recoil is dampened on the Constable II, if my memory serves me right, it is a ten or thirteen round mag and larger frame that should improve the handling considerably. Any how, they are very well made pistole's that command much higher prices than the smaller Constable. You should be aware that parts are hard to come by in my area, when I bought mine the adjustable sight would not function and it took me some time to find an original part. If the gun is in excellent condition and the price right I would buy it. If you buy it and find you don't like it let me know and I'll take it off your hands.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on September 17th, 2007, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Astra Constable II

Post by himmel »

Abwehr, GR--I was thinking that Astra was one of those high-quality, low-price outfits, looks like I was right!They're asking something like $250--how does that sound?? I would trade in my Zastava for it maybe, but it isn't in their Blue Book so they won't take it on a trade... :(
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Astra Constable II

Post by abwehr »

himmel,

The price sounds about right for gunshops. Do you think you can talk him down to $200 and then you would have a great buy!
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Astra Constable II

Post by himmel »

About all he'll do for me is not add the tax--the $250 or whatever (it may be $240) would be OTD. It may be academic at this point, just now even $200 would be a lot to spend on non-essential items...
:(
Last edited by himmel on September 16th, 2007, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Astra Constable II

Post by abwehr »

himmel,

Even at the price with no tax, you are not hurt, but I always like to get it cheaper, and I underestand the non-essential items!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Astra Constable II

Post by abwehr »

Stupid satellite link made me double post.....SORRY
Last edited by abwehr on September 17th, 2007, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Astra Constable II

Post by gunneyrabbit »

If the pistol is in excellent condition the price is right and I would jump on it. Here is a partial quote from J.B. Wood regarding the Astra Constable from his toma, Firearms Assembly/Disassembly part one, automatic pistole's; the second edition. " The Constable has two things the Walther lacks- an external slide latch and a reasonable price. Quality of materials and craftsmanship are excellent."
Ned Schwings, The 2003 Standard catalog of Firearms, the thirteenth edition, quotes a price of $300.00 for the model A-60 in excellent condition. They have recently gone for higher prices on both Auction Arms and Gun Broker. They are also getting more hard to find here in the Pacific Northwest. Hope this helps with your decision.
G.R.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Astra Constable II

Post by himmel »

Thanks guys, I'll see what works out... :)