RELOADING

Use this section for all other firearms
saands

RELOADING

Post by saands »

nbender: Good job! If you actually de-primed and then tumbled, I'll give you a hint ... tumble first and you won't have to clean out those little primer pockets :)

You CAN make excellent ammo!

Saands
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

RELOADING

Post by nbender »

So saands - I thought I was making a pass with the primer cleaning tool to remove any residual powder?

And .. you guys recommend powder tricklers for starting kits. I'm going real slow, which is also real labor intensive I guess. But I will just be using my scale and a funnel. I would imagine a powder trickler is for once I have a turret press and I'm off and running. Are there dangers of double-loading with a powder meausre for a newbie to consider?
Last edited by nbender on October 21st, 2007, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saands

RELOADING

Post by saands »

In my experience, there just isn't any residual powder in the flash hole ... polishing media - you bet! but only if you deprime first. I had never given it much thought, but this is probably because the de-capping tool sticks a pin through the flash hole in the de-capping process, so cleaning it is really redundant. I like a trickler if I am weighing each charge ... which I do if I am loading up to the max, but if I step back 5% or more from the published max, then I'll just use my powder measure and weigh every 10th charge or so to be sure nothing has changed. The trickler just sits in the box for those runs.

Double-loading is not a newbie concern ... it's an EVERYONE concern. I make it a habit not to use charges that fill less than half the case ... that way if I double-charge a case, there is powder all over the table to alert me to that fact. I also prefer to load a batch of cases and then take a flashlight and look into them as a group for any that are out of the norm for the group.

Keep asking questions ... I'm sure that I speak for Norm as well in saying that we're happy to answer any questions you might have.

Saands
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

RELOADING

Post by normsutton »

nbender

about case cleaning ; we a have a 55 gal brass barrel when I leave the range I take a coffee can and dip in the brass barrel and what it comes up with I don't know until I get home, then I dump the can in my cloths washer I put the setting on low put a little dish soap and a little CLR it depends on how tarnish is on the brass put some rags in there too then turn it on , I have never owned a Case Tumbler . then sort them out
after they are dry .
then size & push pirmers out on the cal. i'm going to load , i only clean primer pockets if they are real dirty
you will learn that in time but when in doubt clean it.

I have never use a powder tickler don't even own one my powder measurer is that correct, like Saands I do check it about ever 20 or 25 rounds to make sure its still set right. I also use a loading block and load up 50 at a time.

and do the EXACTLY the same thing Saands does

I make it a habit not to use charges that fill less than half the case ... that way if I double-charge a case, there is powder all over the table to alert me to that fact. I also prefer to load a batch of cases and then take a flashlight and look into them as a group for any that are out of the norm for the group.
Saands
I have also found slower burning powders fill cases up more and are kinder to the cases

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
rlj102468
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

RELOADING

Post by rlj102468 »

Congrats on reloading Nbender, It is really not that hard. I had the expert help of Norm to show me what's up. I am in the process of trying to get up the monies to get a rig of my own soon. Can't wait, what a hobby.

Bobby J.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

RELOADING

Post by garry »

Donnerwetter58, You summed it up in one sentence ~~~ It is all about the "FEEL" of the bullet as it goes together . I think that is a very good point and is a big reason why I reload and I am happy with the equipment I have. I can "Feel" the pressure that I put into each pull of the handle so I can apply a certain consistent amount to each bullet , and I pay attention to that Feel and I sort my bullets accordingly. That brings me to the second reason to reload~~~ The "Mystical Flight Of The Lead Projectile" ! lol
There is an ART to reloading that makes Men strive to invent the "Perfect Bullet".
I Imagine that winning a shooting competition must be like/BETTER than winning the Super bowl Or the Nextel Cup, or any other Sport, to the individual whom put in the time/effort/dedication in to it .
Reloading is the part that makes Shooting Funner. kinda like brewing your own beer, or raising your own beef. Anything a man can do better or cheaper than another just helps save $$ and gives more time to enjoy shooting ! I'll admit that my LEE Challenger is not the strongest press in the world but I can still make bullets that shoot better than most factory ammo that I have bought.
I think you guys are downright resourceful for picking up free brass and lead! Every penny saved adds up to dollars somewhere down the line. Reloading is that way.
There is an article in the November 2007 "Shooting Times" (special handloading issue)Magazine about using spent .22 LR brass and lead wire to make .223 bullets ! That is pretty resourceful there! G
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

RELOADING

Post by garry »

NBender, Reloading is easy enough and a fun hobby. The internet has all the info anyone could need to reload . http://www.reloadbench.com/menu1.html this site is ok but i encourage you to Google Search the keywords " reloading data" and surf around . You can gain access to almost every bit of published data on reloading ANY caliber.
Hey all, Anybody want to share some good reloading sites? I could always use more recipes! , Thanks! G
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

RELOADING

Post by normsutton »

Garry

Here some I made 15 to 20 years ago that's why they tarnished

here where I got the dies they shoot good every once in a while you get a flyer

http://www.corbins.com/prrfjm.htm

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
donnerwetter58

RELOADING

Post by donnerwetter58 »

Norm and Garry,
You guys are killing me.
I need another hobby as much as I need another gun.
Bullet swaging has caught my eye more than once but I have yet to try it. It wouldn't take much to push me over the edge.
So, does anyone here make their own smokeless powder in the wife's KitchenAid mixer?

Garry,
A couple of reloading sites.
www.handloads.com
www.reloadersnest.com
saands

RELOADING

Post by saands »

Donner...

You goofball! You can't make smokeless in a KitchenAid! Well, actually you CAN, but you need that fancy meat grinder attachment so that the grains come out extruded ... only problem is that the grains are kinda large, so you need to use them in medium-large rounds like 155mm ... LOL

Obviously joking here as I think you need a special BATFE license to manufacture powder :)

Saands
saands

RELOADING

Post by saands »

On a more serious note ... the reloading forums at TFL and THR are both quite well stocked with info.

Saands
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

RELOADING

Post by normsutton »

donnerwetter58

here you go these are 45 long colt 265 grn hp bullets I swaged them from a set of CH dies I also have a set of dies that do 357

go to bullet
http://www.ch4d.com/

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

RELOADING

Post by garry »

Thanks All !! These are great sites !
Norm~ Those are very good looking bullets that you've made ! I'd like to start making me some .363-4 cal. ,,JHP's and ball ammo. Is it as time consuming as reloading? or is it a fast process? G
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

RELOADING

Post by normsutton »

G

I cast bullets in pure lead to get the core that I use ,then it dosen't take as long

but you need a press built like a tank to swage bullets
a lee won't hack it

IF YOU WANT USE STANDARD DIES

CH dies list

Part # Description Price

101308HP 30 cal Hollow Point Swaging Die Set $ 119.55
101308SP 30 cal Soft Point Swaging Die Set $ 119.55
101355HP 9mm Hollow Point Swaging Die Set $ 119.55
101355SP 9mm Soft Point Swaging Die Set $ 119.55
101357HP 38 Spl/357 Hollow Point Swaging Die Set $ 119.55
101357SP 38 Spl/357 Soft Point Swaging Die Set $ 119.55
101410HP 10mm/40 S&W Hollow Point Swaging Die Set $ 119.55
101410SP 10mm/40 S&W Soft Point Swaging Die Set $ 119.55
101429HP 44 Mag Hollow Point Swaging Die Set $ 119.55
101429SP 44 Mag Soft Point Swaging Die Set $ 119.55
101451HP 45 cal Hollow Point Swaging Die Set $ 119.55
101451SP 45 cal Soft Point Swaging Die Set $ 119.55
101XXXXX Custom 101 Bullet Swaging Die Set $ 199.25
Please allow 12-14 weeks for delivery of custom caliber swage sets.

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on October 22nd, 2007, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

RELOADING

Post by garry »

Thanks for that Info Norm ! I wasn't aware of the initial cost of the swagers. It will be awhile before i can start that BUT, I'm trying to get there Man ! THanks again, G