New Toy Photos

Use this section for all other firearms
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

New Toy Photos

Post by abwehr »

I finally got some photos yesterday afternoon of my latest aquisitions. A J.P. Sauer (CE Code) and a Steyr (bnz Code) K98k, RC rifles. What a shame the idiot russians did not reasseble them with the original parts to the rifle. Of course, the parts are mismatched, but resonable time period for the particular rifle.

The Sauer has been cleaned and ready to go, but I have just taken the Steyr apart last night getting ready to remove the Shellac from the stock and apply BLO this afternoon. The metal will be cleaned tomorrow and reassembled tomorrow evening.

The J.P. Sauer:

The Steyr - This rifle is devoid of the Waffenamt Stamps on the right receiver which is indicative of a Concentration Camp assembled rifle for the SS, but there is no Single Rune present. whether it is an SS rifle or not, I like it. These photos are before cleaning:

volfandan

New Toy Photos

Post by volfandan »

Me Likey ALOT!
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

New Toy Photos

Post by bzinggg »

Abwehr,

Do the importers shellac the stocks on these Mausers? Is it Mitchel's or what?

My mint M48 has a coat on it and I don't know if it's correct, or if the shellac should be removed and the stock oiled to be more nearly like it is origionally issued. I have always thought that an oil finish is more likely to be correct. Is that right?
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

New Toy Photos

Post by papabear »

abwehr,

Very nice examples, thanks for sharing them both........ ;D my RC byf 44 is in similar condition as your RC bnz 43, I really enjoy shooting it. On the Russian Captures the Russians re-arsenaled them and they are the ones that put the glossy finish on there, as they did on their own MN 91/30's and etc, when they re-arsenaled them.

papabear
Last edited by papabear on September 2nd, 2007, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

New Toy Photos

Post by abwehr »

bzinggg,

The Russian Capture K98ks were rearsenaled after WWII by the Russians and they put the Shellac on the stocks. Plus, they are the ones that mixed all the parts up. It is a shame they didn't take the time to match them up again. Although they don't really have "collector" value, they are nice shooting rifles with a history. I bought the above two from Classic Arms, Indian Trail, NC (just outside Charlotte, NC). The ones I bought were special hand picked for being in VG+ condition with nice bores. I do have one all matching "byf" 43 K98k that is in 96% condition. I don't shoot that one, LOL.

As to your M48, I have one of these too and the stock is oiled finish. Actaully, when I got it, I was able to remove enought oil to put in my car, LMAO!!!! Honestly, the stock was covered in cosmoline and when I got it off, the stock was in nice condition. I have never seen one with Shellac, as the yugoslavains used oil only that I am aware of. If you think it is Shellac, take some rubbing alcohol and test for removal. If it is Shellac, it will come off quick!

I did get the "bnz" stock cleaned this afternoon of the Shellac and it took me about 1.5 hours to remove, and start re-oiling with BLO. I should get 2-3 coats on by tonight and it will be ready for the final waxin tomorrow afternoon when I reassemble the rifle. I hope to get the receiver, bore, bolt, etc. cleaned and polished tomorrow.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

New Toy Photos

Post by normsutton »

abwehr

can't wate to see it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

New Toy Photos

Post by abwehr »

I don't know why I have gotten the K98k bug, but I have always loved these rifles! With the "bucks" I have in the three RC rifles, I probably could have found one all matching somewhere. The only problem there is I don't want to shoot an all matching in fear of breaking a part. That is the great thing about the RCs; they are affordable to most everyone, still have some historical value, and you can shoot them without having to worry about breaking a part.

I will have the Steyr (bnz) completed sometime this afternoon and will get a photo of the completed rifle. I tell you though, the stock sure looks a looooooot better now. I checked and the last coat of BLO was dry this morning. A little rubbing and application of stock was and the receiver will be ready to drop back in.