Nervous about C&R....

Use this section for all other firearms
volfandan

Nervous about C&R....

Post by volfandan »

I sent off my application for C&R and the $30 money order USPS priority mail. It was returned to sender, marked "refused".

Here's what happened:

I downloaded and printed the application from cruffler.com, filled it out, got the $30 MO, and sent it off priority mail to the address listed on the application.

After the letter was returned, I called the Dallas BATF office to inquire as to the reason for refusing acceptance of my application. The application stated to send the application and $30 to a PO box in Dallas, TX. The lady informed me that the PO box was actually a bank that processes the money for application, and then forwards the application to the BATF office (typical gov't priorities....money first). She told me that the Atlanta office has handled C&R licenses since May 2006, and gave me the correct address.

Here's what worries me:

Are they going to deny my application since it states Dallas, TX still on my application? Will it look funny that the MO was purchased several weeks before they get the application? I'm just nervous that some technical red-tape BS will keep me from getting my license. She said that the BATF won't care about the date on the MO....that "we see it as money is money!".
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Nervous about C&R....

Post by normsutton »

volfandan

I thought the ATF had to send you the forms

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting200 ... /index.asp

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
volfandan

Nervous about C&R....

Post by volfandan »

well, you may be right, Norm. I went to the cruffler site and you can click for a PDF of the application. Check it out.

http://www.cruffler.com/becomingcruffler.html
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Nervous about C&R....

Post by normsutton »

volfandan

my form didn't look like this one

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
volfandan

Nervous about C&R....

Post by volfandan »

great, then I may be SOL....I hope it won't keep me from ever getting my C&R!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Nervous about C&R....

Post by normsutton »

volfandan

I don't think so , if they don't give it to you they will probably send you different forms

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Nervous about C&R....

Post by carguy »

VOLFANDAN...let me get this straight...you got your application back but not you money order? If so did you forward the application to Atlanta yet? If so then just be patient the ATF will refuse licensing for legit reasons not for mistakes, they may return it to you as well as you used the wrong form or old form but not "reject" you.

Log onto the ATF website (www.BATF.gov, I think) and order yourself the correct form ATF 7CR (5310.16). There are 2 copies there 1 for the ATF and 1 for your local Chief LEO. If every government agency handled paperwork like the ATF for C&Rs this country would be a whole lot better place to live and work. You'll get the forms in a week and once the app is in you'll get your license in less than a month (3 weeks for me).

Just be prepared. If you did send in you app and are concerned, call them 404-417-2750 and explain your concern. My guess is that you are not the first nor will you be the last person to make a paperwork error.
volfandan

Nervous about C&R....

Post by volfandan »

Carguy,

They never opened my letter in Dallas. I sent it to the Dallas PO box, that the BATF used for C&R processing until May 2006. My letter was never opened, but just refused by recipient.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Nervous about C&R....

Post by carguy »

Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you an application form. You'll have it in a couple of days, complete it and mail it in with the original money order. You can always attach a note to the money order explaining why it is dated much earlier than the app. All the ATF wants is your money to process, I'll bet a dollar to a donut they won't even notice the date if you don't mention it.

Unless there is something else going on...convicted felon, warrants out for your arrest, illegal immigrant, the list goes on and on of "disqualifiers"...relax. ;D

They work for us and you are simply excerising your right as a "collector". Sometimes various government agencies make it difficult (believe me I know I live in Massachusetts) but the ATF is actually pretty good to deal with.

Russ 8~)
saands

Nervous about C&R....

Post by saands »

Remember that you are dealing with the service part of the ATF ... these folks seem to understand that they are a service organization and my interactions with them have always made me feel like they were just trying to do their jobs well. Sometimes they can't (won't) give an answer as quickly as you'd like, but I understand that they can't quote policy on the phone ... just too many ways to get the info mixed up. Fix your mistakes and don't worry about it ... the delay will save you hundreds in purchases anyway!!!

Saands