Just shoot me

Use this section for all other firearms
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Just shoot me

Post by grayfox »

:'(
I,m running out of room in my den, but I started collecting (of all things) African spears, ect. to go on my one wall that has three plains heads on it. And I wonder why I,m always broke :o
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Just shoot me

Post by anjdrifter »

Boy you lost out ,wish I had known that at KC I would have given you the 2 I had in a closet for years,dont even know why or where I got em. But anyway gave them away last month ,I am on a cleanup kick ..
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Just shoot me

Post by garry »

Those African Spears are pretty interesting weapons ! My Neighbor has 2 of them and one of them is razor sharp and clearly a deadly stick ! Could you please post some pics of the tips? Are they genuine? or aftermarket ? I heard that the shapes and types are designated to different tribes? Do you know what tribes they are from? Thanks , G
PS I need to PM you to ask a question. I will send it now.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Just shoot me

Post by grayfox »

anjdrifter,
a day late & a dollar short..but thanks anyway.

Garry,
Got your pm. The one spear is about 100yrs old, the nigerian arrowheads (iron) are about the same. My Mother-in-law got me a wood carved mask from the congo for my birthday this week. I have some other stuff (hair bag, ect) that is also old. I got the stuff from an old friend that owns the Smoky Mt Knife works, I trust him. The war club is at least 75 to 100 yrs old.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Just shoot me

Post by grayfox »

Still got a few things to put up yet, but its a start. :)
Last edited by grayfox on August 26th, 2007, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Just shoot me

Post by papabear »

grayfox,

Is that a Japanese bayo on your wall, just to the right of the pic of the lion, if it is, it's a late war, I collect bayo's and was just curious, if I may ask, what arsenal stamp is on it.

Thanks,

papabear
Last edited by papabear on August 29th, 2007, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Just shoot me

Post by carguy »

An FYI for everyone...there is a really nice auction house up north in New Hampshire that I have yet to visit but always watch their listings and prices realized when posted. They carry some really great stuff. Earlier this month they had listed several mounted trophies (Gazell head / Complete stuffed male lion / complete warthog with "something" (I can't remember) in it's mouth / Half of a Giraffe shoulders up...stuffed. Grayfoxes mounted heads made me remember it.

Also, Papabear since you say you collect bayonets there have been a couple that I've noticed in previous auctions. Take a look at auction 59 page 1 and auction 60 page 8. I'm sure there are many more.

The site is [url=http://www.amoskeag-auction.com,]www.amoskeag-auction.com,[/url] enjoy
Last edited by carguy on August 29th, 2007, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Just shoot me

Post by grayfox »

Papabear,
Thats a Japanese bayo . the markings I looked up but will have to look again. Its in great shape, got it for a song from a guy at work. I'll look at it again and let you know.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Just shoot me

Post by papabear »

Papabear,
Thats a Japanese bayo . the markings I looked up but will have to look again. Its in great shape, got it for a song from a guy at work. I'll look at it again and let you know.
Here is a site that has all the Japanese rifles and bayonets markings.

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Just shoot me

Post by grayfox »

National Denki under Kokura supervision
three circles and an arrow with M in the middle.
Thanks Papabear
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Just shoot me

Post by garry »

WOW Grayfox !!! That is a Kewl Batch of Stuff there !!! Thanks for the picture, I always played as a spearchucker as a kid and have been facsinated by spears since then. The Javelin Toss competition at the Olympics is always a thriller , and i cannot imagine myself throwing a stick that far EVER ! WOW!!! Of course the morbid "Race Fan" in me also watches to see if any errant throws might veer off into....well i'll leave that to your imagination ! LOLOL I saw a video of one that went right thru a poor fella, Thankfully he lived. That was recently btw.
It would certainly be scary to face a group of spear throwers in the jungle that is for sure. Hmmm...Maybe i will try bartering with my neighbor for his,hmmm....Thanks again, G
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Just shoot me

Post by grayfox »

Gary,
Thanks...I,m a pack rat. I collect things that I like, from swords to coins & everything in between. I even have a pair of the org. "Teacher in space" patchs, and watched the shuttle blow up. As a former Chief, I got lucky on a lot of stuff. But to some people its just "stuff". When I set down in my den, thats when I really enjoy it.....
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Just shoot me

Post by abwehr »

grayfox,

Very nice display, and professional too!

About 17 years ago, I did a project for the Smithsonian Institution and in the process, I had access to every room in the Museum of natural History. One of the areas was the "Spear and Arrow" room. This room contained the complete collection of spears and arrows from Africa and South America. It was amazing to see all these weapons. When I entered, I was warned to NOT touch ANY of the tips as some still had deadly poison on them! It is a shame most of them would never bee seen by the public.

Thanks for posting your photos, very interesting!!!
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Just shoot me

Post by grayfox »

Thanks..
I wish I could have seen the displays, sounds great.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Just shoot me

Post by papabear »

National Denki under Kokura supervision
three circles and an arrow with M in the middle.
Thanks Papabear
grayfox,

Thanks for the info, I would suggest you hang on to that one.
The Denki under Kokura supervision bayonet is fairly rare, what you see most is the Tokyo arsenal prior to 1936 and the Kokura arsenal 1936-1945, these were made in Tokyo and the were the most made. The really rare ones come from the Jinsen and Mukden arsenals also the a unknown arsenal affectionately called the Rocking Star with a Star on a stem with a half circle under it, it is rare also, I have the Jinsen and Mukden and a few others. Use to have several Japanesse rifles with correct bayonets scabbards and some of the leather frogs for them but found a collector that that went nuts over them and I sold him lock, stock and barrel, but I did keep the some of the bayonets and ammo.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER