BSA Red Dotted my Plinker!

Use this section for all other firearms
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

I just can't stop!!!

I don't have any money because I'm addicted to this hobby.

Now that I vented...look what I just did!!

Aimtech mount and a BSA Red Dot...less than $65 total, mail order and Wally World (so what am I complaining about?).

Range trip tomorrow!! Thank goodness 22's are so inexpensive (200 yesterday with my scoped Savage and probably 200 more tomorrow!!).

Damn life is good... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(between this, the MN scope and mount last week and the SKS yesterday...I guess I'll just have to skip a meal or two. You've seen my pictures, I can afford to miss a few (dozen)) ::)
Last edited by carguy on August 25th, 2007, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

a friend of mine was talking about how fun it is to take .22 pistols with red dots and walk golf balls down the yard (that sounds like it should be a sport)
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Hey Carguy ! That is Totally Kewl looking ! You are really starting to get some nice stuff in your collection ! it is Great to see all the pictures ! Thanks Man !
A friend has a Ruger Mk. ll with a red dot scope and we have spent quite a bit of time shooting it . I purchased the scope from him to use on my SKS. It is very quick to aim at long targets especially. I was able to make 5" groups with it at a bit over 50 yards. (that is better than i can do with iron sights on a pistol) It was as accurate as was neccessary ! I figured out that the longer the distance to the target- the smaller or weaker the dot should be. when you turn the intensity way up you get a bigger and brighter dot that covers the target , so just adjust the power down until you can just see the dot and you will get even smaller groups.
You will enjoy the Red Dots alots. Happy Shooting, G
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

I had a ball with the Red Dot today...took all of 5 minutes to sight it in (within reason) and shot about 200 rounds at paper, plastic bottles and even a big wet phone book! We aren't allowed to shoot at clay pigeons etc. Just stuff we suspend from target frames.

I also shot a Remington 7mm Police Sniper rifle a club member (LEO) brought with him to play with. That thing has about a $1000 scope on it! Shot 3 rounds in 2 holes smaller than a dime at 100 yards!! That was cool! He claims to be able to shoot 1/8" groups at 200 yards! Scarey!!
saands

Post by saands »

1/8" groups at 200 ... those must be one shot groups ::)

Sounds like a nice rifle, but sometimes we exaggerate just a little in this sport :)

Saands
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Careguy,
I have a model 822 looks just like yours except you have those really nice wood grips that I can't seem to find anywhere. What kind of mount did you use for the BSA and did you have to have the slide drilled and threaded?
G.R.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

GR

I found my grips on Rimfirecentral.com but also saw them listed at numrich.com. Check it out

I bought my scope mount through gunbroker .com, it is an aimtech. Do a search and I'm sure you'll see it (it was listed for S&W 422). In case you can't find one I'll try to find the paperwork that came with it...I'm either a pack rat or I throw everything away so who knows what I'll find.

The one piece mount has a solid side that replaces the grip on the right side. The only problem I've had is that I needed locktite to keep the grip screws from loosening and allowing the sight to shift around. Originally I thought the grip would mount over this piece but it becomes the right side grip. Very comfortable and if you have the black grips it will match as it is black finished like the frame.
Last edited by carguy on September 9th, 2007, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

OK just to keep up with that show off Carguy :P
I got me a no gunsmith mount for the m44 i redid because of the bad fore arm wood.(by the way I clean and re clean every weapon so to my surprise there was about 3 pounds ::) of cosmolin under the leaf sight spring.
after mounting the rail had to put something on it so went to wally world and got me a red dot scope. just to show carguy what I will make golf balls dance ;D
here be a picture. pretty funny and funky looking if I have to say so myself.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

anjdrifter,

I like that flash suppressor, if you get tired of it, would you like your money back on it........ ::)

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

ANJ...that looks COOL!! Did you have trouble leveling and zeroing in your mount / scope?

I still haven't pulled my MN out since I tried that one sunday afternoon to sight it in. I kept screwing it up more every time I touched it. I need to remove the scope, level the mount, secure it well then mount the scope and start sighting it in again!

Of course I'm a show off, I need to show to my friend all my toys when I get them. Unfortunately with friends like you and papabear, normsutton, nbender and the list goes on and on and on. I certainly can't compete...you always seem to pull something out of your hat that impresses the crap out of me. That's what motivates me to save my pennies and buy more!! ;D
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

carguy,

I remember when I had kids going to college, times were lean as heck, but some how I managed to get a few guns here and there. Now that the kids are gone [hers and mine] we changed the locks and told them to call first before coming over, they all live out of town, we are like we where when we dated in high school, life is good. So those of us that had kids in college understand where you are coming from, there ain't nothing I won't do for my kids, I told one of my step-daughters husbands that he had never better hurt her, cause I didn't mind going back to prison...... ::)..... we have never told him I was never in prison.... ;D....close a couple times though when I was a lot younger.

papabear
Last edited by papabear on September 12th, 2007, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

Papabear, you hit the nail on my head with that response.

I was going to compliment carguy on such a neat toy that looks like too much fun, and add that both my daughters are in college now and it's a bit difficult to scrounge up disposable money. My cash is disposed.

This year we're empty nesters for the first time. She who must be obeyed won't let me pick up the Finn Mosin and K-31 a friend has and will let me take home for a song. My collecting wings are clipped.

Anyway - it is a cool pistol carguy. Imagine young Nbender with that in the woods way back then. There would be a lot fewer small birds in the world.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

Carguy. didn't have trouble leveling or sighting in . I use a laser bore light to zero in before going to range,,,, makes for less aggravation, at least for me.
As I said to Paper bear today this is not a hobby it is an
accumulational therapy....It helps makes us guys heal after we had to put kids and others thru school and school and school and school..and then graduate school... Also when I was growing up we were the token poor people. and now I can have the toys I didn't.. not complaining actually for better or worse made me who and what I am today...... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Al,

Accumulational Therapy, two big words/phrases in the same day, WOW.... :'(....I only speak American, I better bone up on English, you have such a way with words you silver tongue devil..... :-*

Ok carguy here it is in Italian........

La Terapia di Accumulational, due parole/frasi grandi nello stesso giorno, WOWI parla soltanto l'Americano, sgobbo su meglio inglesi, lei ha tale maniera con le parole lei diavolo di lingua d'argento

papabear
Last edited by papabear on September 24th, 2007, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Papabear now say "that" in italian!! ???

I can't say it in english, but I agree with the sentiment.

I got a few more years of college for my son and probably a few more years of paying for college after that but I live for my family and would not change a thing. The best part of this hobby for me is that I am sharing it with my son and my daughter has recently asked to come to the range to "try it" so she can figure out what we are doing and seem to enjoy so much.

I definitely would not appreciate what I buy if I didn't have to plan and save to make the purchase. If I could just go out and pick up what ever I wanted when I wanted it...it wouldn't be as fun. The search, the anticipation are as much a part of the fun as taking it home or to the range!! :)