New Acquisition...SKS...New Pics w/minor mods!

Use this section for all other firearms
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

My renewed licnese finally ame in so I could wait a minute and just made a deal on a Norinco SKS, born in 1978. All nice and clean, less than 100 rounds through it...supposedly, (NO COSMOLINE... ;D) but I'll of course clean it thoroughly anyways. I'll meet the seller on Friday so I hope to have better pics and a range report over the weekend. Until then these will have to do. I can't wait!!

$200 delivered to me, not shipped, in person.

Now I need to start hoarding 7.62x39!!
Last edited by carguy on September 4th, 2007, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

carguy,

Sweet looking SKS, and a nice deal to boot, you done good my man, can't wait to hear about this weekend.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

carguy

aren't you going to have a lot of fun, 200 is a good price, you'll need to start buying lot of ammo, and striper clips.

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

Carguy,

That is sharp! I remember when they used to be $69. Ahh, the good old days! I bought a Norinco paratrooper with spike bayo back in '97 I guess....paid $150 for it. I actually am kicking myself for not buying a "very good" condition Norinco sks at the gun show this past weekend. The guy was asking $165, and I bet I could have been OTD for $140 or so. The stock had some dings in the finish, but I should have haggled with the guy.

Hindsight = 20/20
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

I wanted a semi-auto of some sort and didn't want to spend the cash for a M1 carbine at CMP so with this I can get the gun and a whole bunch of ammo and still save some cash!

Someday I would like to get into US milsurps but they are just too expensive for my budget right now.

I guess I'll have to make due with stuff like this! ;D

I am "acquiring" several different types of ammo (Brown Bear, Romanian, S&B). And I saw a bunch of "something" Tiger at a shop this week so I'll grab some of that too just to see what this lady likes best. Then I'll stock up!

I've heard soooo much good stuff about these and seen so many toys to make an SKS even more interesting. Can't wait to play!

Thanks to Norm Sutton and Anjdrifter for some "advice" previously. This SKS was for sale several weeks ago and I was torn between it and trying to pick up a Yugo 59/66 at a distriubutor. Then this was sold and I had no luck at the distributors...it seemed everyone was out of stock or just too expensive. Suddenly this was available again...2 offers fell through! I guess it was meant to be mine all along!
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

Nice looking SKS Carguy, the spike bayonet is a plus also. One accessory that I found absolutely necessary for my SKS is a 1 and 3/4 inch thick rubber stock extension from Capco, these guns were made for really short people.

Hoarding 7.62x39 ammo is really hard to do, it always just turns into empty casings on the ground. 8-)

Just out of curiosity, is there some magic list of long guns that you can own in Mass like there is for handguns? if so, what kind of long guns can't you own?
Last edited by barnett3006 on August 22nd, 2007, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Carguy

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_7_62x39.html

just clean it first before you shoot it , I don't take any one's word that they cleaned it,
if you need a manual for the SKS I think I have a printable manual I can send you

a word of warning SKS's are like P-64's just can't have one

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Thanks Norm I will definitely clean it well. I plan on referencing Surplus Rilfe.com for take down etc. If you think the manual would be of use I definitely would love a copy (PM).

Also thanks for the ammo link...AIM will not ship ammo to Ma (C&R yes...ammo no).

But I appreciate the thought.

8~)
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

carguy,

If you need a manual, there are all type manuals on this website. Many of the MilSurp will be Century or Interordnance manuals, but better than nothing. Enjoy looking thru these and I hope it helps. The website is: http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Thanks guys I appreciate the help.

Barnett I didn't mean to ignore your question. Other than the Massachusetts Assault Weapons Ban (I don't know the details on that one) nothing manf. after 1994 and the Hi Capacity Magazine Ban, nothing manufactured with greater than 10 rounds after 1994 (I think) for long arms and handguns. Other than that...no special list of approved weapons like the handgun list. Obviously C&R eligible firearms like the CZ-82 are exempt for the Hi Cap Mag as it was manuf. prior to 1994. And LEOs are the only legal people to own Newly manuf. Hi Cap Mags. It is a "HUGE" offense in Mass...no one but a LEO can buy, sell or even possess a hi cap mag. Someone purchased a S&W M&P 40 and Smith sent them a free magazine...12 round by mistake. It doesn't matter whose mistake...breaking the law big time...documented it and his communication with Smith to send it back for a 10 round Mass compliant mag to avoid jail time, up to 5 years and $10,000 fine for each mag!!

Somebody remind me...why do I continue to live here? :'(
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

It is unbelievable that an innate object ( a hunk of metal for pete's sake ) can be regarded as sooo baaad and eeevil.
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

At least you can own some neat guns up there. Magazine capacity limits are ridiculous. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the 10 round limit came from a distorted quote from Bill Ruger himself, he inadvertently said something like, "I can't imagine a civilian needing more than 10 rounds at once." then the anti-gunners jumped all over that and the 10 round limit was born.

I guess you wont be getting a 75 round drum mag for your SKS.

Does a bandoleer that holds more than one stripper clip of 7.62x39 constitute a hi cap mag?

anyways, SKS's are tons of fun your not going to be disappointed. Don't dry fire at all, I learned that the hard way. I dry fired mine a few times doing function checks after cleanings and such, then one day I went to go shooting and a chunk of steel fell out when I opened the chamber...took it apart to find out what was going on...the chunk came out of the bolt face which looked like an 8 point compass rose radiating from the firing pin hole. It took me a year to find a new bolt (this was during the Clinton Freedom Ban and parts were scarce for damn near everything considered "AW"). I've had that bolt in there a few years now and the gun still runs as good as the day I cleaned the cosmo out of it.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

abwehr

thanks for the manual's site

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Barnett: If a bandoleer was considered hi cap then I'm in real trouble with the spam cans of 800 bulgarian ammo I have!

Thanks for the advice about dry firing, I was wondering about that. How do you store your SKS? Do you leave the bolt open or closed and if closed (my preference) how do you release the tension on the firing pin without dry firing?

I definitely have some homework to do regarding the SKS but it will be fun.

Abwehr: Great site regarding the manuals! Thanks for the link...can always use access to reference material!
Last edited by carguy on August 24th, 2007, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

carguy

I store all of mine bolt closed with the trigger pulled ,I also have copies of Murray's firing pins in all of mine
http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage