Airsoft for Quickdraw Practice?

Use this section for all other firearms
commandercob

Post by commandercob »

I'm still new to guns in general and recently I've seen a lot of ad buzz about Airsoft pistols. I watched a Sigarms movie about the advantages of training with an Airsoft (practice in home etc.) Many questions remain unanswered.

Are these guns good for practice? Do I have to spend a lot of money to get gun similar to my P-64? Are they even vaguely accurate at short distances? Do I want AEG (automatic electric gun)?

Any info about experience with Airsoft guns would be greatly appreciated, as would any recommendations for a pistol.
saands

Post by saands »

I have used Airsoft pistols to introduce people to shooting ... at 15ft, they are accurate enough to teach the fundamentals of sight alignment and safe gun handling. The triggers tend to be unrealistically light and the lack of recoil makes double-taps unrealistically easy to perform well. I prefer the electric ones that move the slide ... if you are ever gonna get hit by a moving slide, let it be an Airsoft! Trust me on that one ...

I think that in order for a draw practice to be effective, the piece has to be virtually identical so that it fits the holster you use, snags clothes, etc the same as the real article ... it is probably unlikely that you will find this in an Airsoft, although a Walther PPK might be VERY close to a P64 ...

Airsoft has its value ... you just have to think it through.

Saands