Why everyone needs a Mosin M44

Use this section for all other firearms
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by space »

Took this as my Brother was trying out my new M44. Took along my newly re-finished SKS also.

trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

beautiful twins (fraturnal twins aparantly)
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

can I be nosey and ask how you refinished your yugo 59/66 sks? it looks great!
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by space »

can I be nosey and ask how you refinished your yugo 59/66 sks? it looks great!
First you need to get ALL the cosmoline out of the wood. I did this by heating the stock in the dryer (our dryer has a rack for doing shoes and the stock just fits) and wiping it off. Repeat until no cosmo left.

Then sand down to bare wood (most SKS don't really have a finish, at least the two I have didn't) once you get the cosmo off there isn't really anything but wood left. If it's real dirty, you can clean with TSP or Murphy's oil soap. Don't want to use water if you can help it. It opens the pores in the wood.

Anyway, sanded the stock smooth making sure to leave any interesting marks (arsenal marks, s/n etc..). Probably 4 hours of sanding starting with 100 grit and ending up with 400 grit. I tried using 0000 steel wool but it seems to make the stock dirty as you sand it (oil in the steel wool??)

After it's all sanded, I applied one or two coats of stain (I used Minwax Red Sedona #222) and then probably more than 10 coats of tru-oil.

First couple coats of tru oil were applied with a rag but once you get a base, the additional very thin coats are applied with your finger/hand and rubbed into the grain.

24 hours after the last coat, waxed real good with Birtchwood Casey gun stock wax.
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

thanks for the recipe. I have an old Norinco sks paratrooper, but with the 110th congress getting giddy on gun control.....just makes me think I should pick up a 59/66 while they're still reasonable. And, as you probably know, the stocks on most of the 59/66's are pretty bad finish-wise.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Space

dose that make 3 SKS's for you now

there are like P-64's just can't have one

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by space »

I refinished the my 2nd SKS again. I guess I'm getting better at it or just not rushing the process. I didn't like the color it turned out the first time and after the M44 turned out so nice, thought I would re-do the SKS using the same stain.

After I showed my Brother. He gave me one of his to re-do (would be #3) and he said I could keep it but I'll fix it up and give it back to him.
Last edited by space on July 23rd, 2007, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Space

well you do a nice job on them anyway , I used TRU-OIL on the bottom 2 flint locks over 30 years ago when I built them as kits and they still look almost brand new

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on July 23rd, 2007, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by devlinfaust »

Mr. Norm that is an excellent "muzzle" shot.

I have an M-44 and just love it. It has had the bayonett filed off, and the bolt turned down, so it will take a scope. Given the power, accuracy and reliability of these, almost everyone should get one while they can!
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

AWESOME Pic !! Looks like he was shooting an Atomic bullet? heehee What Ammo was that? I have some that does that ,tho, i don't recall what ammo it is. obviously it is a slow burn powder. Anyways that is a great photo !! G
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

I have an M38 that does the same thing with any ammo. The carbines shooting a 7.62x54 will produce a fireball like that almost every time. I have a few evening shots of it - I'll see if I can dig them up.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Sweeet ! dickfunk , I Can hardly wait ! I never have shot any of my current guns at night. I tried it once with a .25 auto and after the first shot i couldn't see for 10 minutes to tell if i hit the can as i was so blinded by the muzzleflash ! hahahaha Man, Lesson Learned !!! G