22 LR Plinker Handgun

Use this section for all other firearms
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

22 LR Plinker Handgun

Post by carguy »

I'm want to pick up a 22LR to plink with. I have a Savage rifle buy really enjoy handguns. I want an inexpensive handgun, definitely used ($250 tops OTD) that functions well so I can shoot all I want and not worry too much about the cost!

I handled a Walther P22 last weekend and loved it but the members of various other forums are beating it's quality to death. Too many potential issues for me right now...unfortunately!

I like the look of a Phoenix M22 with a 5 inch ventilate barrel...not in Mass though. 8~(

I like an EAA EA22 (sort or a Beretta Cheeta 87 for 1/3 the price) but not in Mass. 8~((

I like an old H&R Sportsman 996 top breal revolver but they are getting crazy money! 8~(((

I'm not a fan of the Ruger MKI, MKII, MKIII etc, S&W 22A style.

So, did I leave myself anything to even think about trying to find in Mass??

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE...
barnett3006

22 LR Plinker Handgun

Post by barnett3006 »

what about a:
Browning Buckmark
Beretta Neos
Taurus PT22

Or you could get one of these for that Beretta 92 you already have http://www.deltaforce.com/catalog/cienerccukits.html

heres one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/BERETTA-92FS-22-CAL ... dZViewItem

then there are always 22 revolvers that are alot of fun.
Last edited by barnett3006 on July 5th, 2007, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

22 LR Plinker Handgun

Post by carguy »

I'm not sure if the conversion kit will work on my "Compact" version of the 92. I sent an email asking though, so maybe??!!

I'm not familiar with the Taurus so I'll have to look.

The Neos, Buckmark both fall into that same Ruger 22/45, MkII, S&W 22A category and I just don't like the looks.

My love is a Beretta Cheetah 87...that is a beautiful pistol that I understand just never breaks and is accurate as can be! But I don't want to (can't) spend $600 on a "PLINKER"!

Now I'm researching the Bersa Firestorm 22, Phoenix M22 and EAA EA22 (looks like a Cheetah). I love semi-autos and can't get enough of them. But you're right there are revolvers out there and those are the H&R, Iver Johnson C&Rs that I'm looking at. I'd love an old Colt Officer Target or S&W K frame but again they just cost so much. Maybe I'll just have to wait until I can save my pennies to buy the Beretta that I really want.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

22 LR Plinker Handgun

Post by normsutton »

carguy

Don't you own a MAK too and doesn't someone make a conversion for it
I don't know

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

22 LR Plinker Handgun

Post by papabear »

carguy,

Can't help you out much on this one, the only .22's I own are a Marlin model 60, and a older Taurus model 941 .22mag. eight shot. I admit that the .22mag is somewhat more expensive to shoot, but it is a ton of fun to plink with. I like my revolvers, I have plenty of semi's too but my first love is the revolver. I just saw one very much like mine for $199 at my local FFL dealer.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

22 LR Plinker Handgun

Post by devlinfaust »

If the 22 conversion would work for your Beretta, you might be in business. I got one for my Beretta 92FS and so did a buddy for his Centurion. They have worked pretty well. There is an occasional issue with the buffer, on his pistol. Don't know why that would be, on his, but n ot on mine, but there you go. It's still not a big deal--just requires some playing with. Both of the conversions are accurate, and very easy to switch. You are, of course, right at $200 or so (at best).

I don't know if you have any use for single actions, but I've heard that the Heritage Arms 22 is the real deal and can generally be had for less than two bills. However, I have no personal experience with that one.

I have a Beretta Neos that I like pretty well, but I would admit that it has some issues. I've owned a number of Ruger .22 autos. Others have had these and had good luck with them, but I'm pretty much done with the Ruger .22 autos. Ruger has some other offerings, however, that I still crave.
searcher36

22 LR Plinker Handgun

Post by searcher36 »

I would suggest a Neos or Buckmark. The Neos may look like a space gun, but feels great in the hand. H&R Sportsman's can still be had at decent prices if you look around. Check out some of the newly made Whitney Wolverine's too.

Rob
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

22 LR Plinker Handgun

Post by beasleydano »

I have a FEG AP22 that I would not part with. For more serious target shooting my Chinese Olympia TT is the ticket. Both are accurate, reliable and inexpensive but probably not Mass compliant. How about the Mak conversions? Sportsmans Guide has them for under $200.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

22 LR Plinker Handgun

Post by carguy »

I haven'[t even thought about Mak conversion kits. Okay more to research...but how does that work the Mak barrel is on the frame bot just loose in the slide like the Beretta?

I found an Automag 22 today for $400, imagine the self control not to pull out my credit card!! I did find a Star FM22, cool looking semi-auto, with a 4 inch square barrel. Anyone familiar with the Star? Of course there were an Iver Johnson, Erma and Beretta 22 pistols smaller than my wallet! all for under $200 but why bother?

I'm going to look into conversion for my Mak and Beretta. And maybe check out the Taurus Papabear mentioned as well as the FEG Beasleydano mantioned as well (Ma compliance makes this challenging but I'm surprised at what I am finding out there). I've had a couple of guys tell me to look into the Bersa Firestorm 22 as well as the obvious PP or PPK but 22's are few and far between and even farther from my budget.

Thanks
Last edited by carguy on July 6th, 2007, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

22 LR Plinker Handgun

Post by normsutton »

carguy

here a link to the MAK conversion

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=330083

here is another one

http://www.dunavit.com/pricingandcontact

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

22 LR Plinker Handgun

Post by carguy »

I had to follow up with a visit I planned for today to look at a "plinker" I found on the web. Shame on me for not just committing to buy it during the week over the web instead of planning to stop by and browse the inventory (figuring I could save a buck by stumbling upon it during my visit). Obviously when I got there it was sold! A like new (opinions vary) S&W 422, 4 inch with wooden grips.

Well this is the 2nd one in a week that I liked but hesitated on (first was a Harrington and Richardson Sportsman 992 for $130...I figured something was wrong at that price and it was...the seller made a mistake but sold it for that price anyways, just not to me).

So on the way home I stopped at a local shop and "stumbled upon another S&W 422, this time a 6 inch with hard plastic/rubber grips. I haven't seen any of these in a while and now 2 in a week...it must be an omen! I bought it $220 out the door. I figure another $40 for wood grips and some touch up paint or whatever I need to make it black on the high spots. This is an alloy frame with a steel slide, I'm told. And I need a black grip screw...all in all not a bad day.

I cleaned the bejesus out of it and am off to the range. But I had to post some pics first. Range report later!!!

Oh, by the way, I figure I'll let my wife or kids pick up a Mak conversion kit for me for Christmas!! I'm sweating from the heat and planning for Santa already!!
Last edited by carguy on July 7th, 2007, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

22 LR Plinker Handgun

Post by garry »

Sweet Pistol Carguy !!! I am having a problem posting on my PC, so i am temp on my Wife's PC.
I have an Iver Johnson Pistol that i just got around to taking pictures of. As soon as i iron it out i will post them !
Anyways I like those pistols and heard they are very accurate ! Santa Clause is on his way ! SNOW NOW PLEASE ! Enjoy yer day at the range ! G

Hey Papabear ! I loved my Marlin 6080 so much i went out and bought a second model 60 plain,w/Scope(3-9x40) last November for $125 . They both hold 18 cartridges and all 18 shots will fit in a 1" circle easily with the scope on. I own 4 .22lr cal. guns , a Rem. model 12 pump gallery type rifle, 2 Marlin 60's, and a new Savage Bolt Action rifle with composite stock, and each one of them are more accurate than I am ! I wish i had a scope mount for the Rem 12 That'd look funny !
See ya , G
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

22 LR Plinker Handgun

Post by normsutton »

carguy

LOOKS GOOD

you might be able to get screws form http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ send a copy of your C&R and get a discount

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

22 LR Plinker Handgun

Post by carguy »

RANGE REPORT! RANGE REPORT!!!

Wow! This 422 is sweet! I created some strange diagonal line up the target with my first mag of 10 shots. Maybe a bug buzzing distracted me but after that I shot 3 inch groups just about with my eyes closed. What a fun pistol. Why didn't someone tell me about this before?

I met 2 other shooters at the range today. I was there about 3 1/2 hours...shot about $2.00 worth of ammo. Talked, laughed, smoked cigars then shot my range companion's arsenal.

I fired a 30 round banana mag in an AK47, shot some crazy African Safari rifle (458 cal?) the loaded cartridge was 4 or 5 inches long! Then they pulled out their pistols...all S&W: 45 acp, 357, 41, 44 and 500!! Oh yeah and put some slugs through a pistol gripped riot gun too!

My favorite was the 44 magnum, big, powerful but controlable. The 500 was just overwhelming even with the compensated
8 inch barrel! It actually hurt the palm of my hand worse than a P64 all stock the first time out shooting a hundred rounds!

What a great day!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

22 LR Plinker Handgun

Post by normsutton »

carguy

well I can see your Christmas list is going to get bigger (LOL)
and 6 months to go

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage