FEG PA-63

Use this section for all other firearms
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

FEG PA-63

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Good afternoon all :),
I know that this pistol comes up regularly at the general P64 discussion section and the modification's, fixes and repairs section, but this section seems to me to be a better fit. I was doing some reading at one of the European Gun Forums, THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP TO NORM AND PAPABEAR ;D, that indicated the frame of the FEG PA-63 is an aluminum/titanium alloy. If true, this impresses the holy beejeebers out of me! I recently replaced the recoil and trigger springs in mine and have yet to get to the range, hopefully tomorrow. I have always been impressed with the rugged durability of this pistol, I enjoy the one extra round in the mag and seem to be able to shoot the pistol a little faster and more accurately than I can my P64. Less weight and durability is always a plus in my opinion. The big bugaboo has always been the length of the pistol, the truly heavy trigger and for me the grooved trigger. So, I have decided that it is going to get carried in my small fanny pack periodically, especially on long hikes when the reduced weight and slightly improved fire power would be appreciated. I know many of you own and enjoy one or more of these fine little pistols and I know most everyone would appreciate your input. For me, the vote is still out on the grooved trigger, time will tell if it gets replaced or modified.
Thanks to the moderators and all the rest of you fellows who have given me tons of good advise and insight.
Gunney Rabbit.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on June 27th, 2007, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

FEG PA-63

Post by blinddog »

Gunney, to tell you the truth, I have'nt noticed the grooved trigger that much. I shoot a couple of 1911's and the both have grooved triggers so I guess I just didn't pay attention. However, I will agree with you on the pistol. Shoots good, pretty solid and I also heard that it was built on an aluminum and titanium frame. Mine shoots well and recovers well. I think IMHO that if you shoot it eneough the grooves in the trigger will not bother you at all. I also think it could be a good carry pistol, I've used mine for in the pants carry and it was pretty comfortable to be so long. I'm just happy with mine all the way around. Don't shoot anything over 95gr though. Word is it is detramental to your frame if you shoot over that consistently.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

FEG PA-63

Post by gunneyrabbit »

blinddog,
Thanks for the reply.
When I replaced both factory recoil and hammer springs with a lighter nine pound hammer spring and a heavier fifteen pound recoil spring, most of my complaints regarding the trigger and recoil were shelved. Time will tell though, as soon as I spend an afternoon shooting the pistol I may yet re-contour the trigger, just my preference.
G.R.

P.S.,
Thank you for the information regarding the grain weight of the ammo being an issue, I had not heard or read that and really appreciate the heads up.
Thanks again.............. G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on July 3rd, 2007, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
donnerwetter58

FEG PA-63

Post by donnerwetter58 »

gunney,
The PA-64 is a nice handgun. It's well made, compact, light and chambered for something worth carrying. It will digest about any bullet weights you want to put through it. You would likely have to shoot it a lot to harm the frame or "wear it out".
Mine is very accurate. It shoots jacketed and cast bullets well.
It is very pleasant to shoot with reduced cast bullet loads.
I have resprung it with a 11 lb. hammer spring and 13 lb recoil spring. It works well.
The PA-63 is a good addition to the P-64, CZ-82 and the Makarovs.
Have fun and enjoy them all.
I had a little time to compare the PA-63, P-64 and CZ-82. I don't have a Makarov to measure.

PA-63 P-64 CZ-82
Weight (without mag) 19.4 oz 19.8 oz 25.2 oz
Weight (with empty mag) 20.8 oz 21.4 oz 27.8 oz
Weight (loaded mag + 1) 23.6 oz 23.8 oz 32.2 oz

Length 7" 6.25" 6.8"
Height 4.6" 4.5" 5"
Width (max.) 1.2" 1.4" 1.4"
Barrel length 3.9" 3.35" 3.8"
Mag capacity 7 6 12
donnerwetter58

FEG PA-63

Post by donnerwetter58 »

So much for the above reply.
The figures were all rearranged upon posting.
Sorry,
Dave
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

FEG PA-63

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Thanks for the stats, I've always wondered how the three items compared to each other, very good job. ;D
G.R.