What is your favorite revolver?

Use this section for all other firearms
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Here is my Iver Johnson 32 S&W . It was born in 1904 and is still shootable , tho the star gear is worn pretty bad. I am interested in buying another whole gun or a new cylinder and star gear for it . I will get around to it eventually.
Also- I am working on getting another Argentine Mauser for $125 or may trade my Mossberg 500 pump 20 gauge that i got as a gift from an EX-girlfriend, for it ! Either way i love the old 7.65x53 Mausers, and feel like I will get the better deal ! G

carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Nice, very nice. I love to have a connection to some guns...like being made in New England (Colt in Connecticut, H&R in Fitchburg etc.)

Those were nice little guns in their time!
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

Trent,
Are those the original grips, the design is reminiscent of the skull crusher that Merwin Hulbert employed so successfully on several of its revolvers. Very nice item..................... G.R.
Yep they are origional, the little design on the top of the grip is in S&W style but is an O and an H meaning Orbea Hermanos, which was the company that made this one, it is a mean little beating nub aint it. ;)

I'll take some close up pics of the grips and such after I get off work tonight/tomorrow.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

I was at a gunshow today, and bought (aside from some 9x18), a box of fiocchi .455 webley. I paid alot for it (31.50 for a box of 50) but I figured that If I ever want to shoot this thing, I've got to suck in my pride and spring for a box. But Good gravy that's a huge bullet, the thing is 262 grains! that's almost double the size of some .45acp, just looking at pictures of it doesn't give it justice.

on a related note (to gloat on my brother's purchase) he bought a gator hawk level II kevlar vest (brand new) for $200, they guy was trying to get rid of the vests and knocked $100 off the $300 sticker that he had just marked down earlier from $400

ammo and non-gun stuff were the only deals going at the whole show, everyone marks guns up way to much there, (and some of the dealers are kinda edgy) I picked up a RPD machine gun (semi auto) after seeing other people handling guns at his table and the guy yelled at me for not asking first (saying it to me like I was a kid) In retrospect I should have asked (and feel bad for not doing so) but he doesn't need to be worried about someone shoplifting a 30lb 5ft long machine gun. :P
Last edited by trent on July 14th, 2007, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Trent (or anybody who might know)

I was told that by using moon clips you can shoot 45ACP in a 455 Webley or 455 similar pistol.

Do you have any idea if this is true or not? Do you need to have a pistol version designed for 45 with moonclips?

I see many Webleys on auctions etc in 455 and some in 45 ACP w/clips. Are they really both in the same?

Thanks

8~)
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

Mine won't, but to my knowledge they have to be adapted to accept them, which alot have had done to them already, aparantly.
Last edited by trent on July 15th, 2007, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

A lot of Webleys had the cylinder "shaved" to accept .45 acp cartridges in half-moon clips during WWII. You can tell by looking at the serial number on the cylinder face (hammer side, not barrel-breech side). If each number looks like half is missing, like for example the bottom half is gone, it has been shaved, if the numbers are in complete form, it hasn't.
rlj102468
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by rlj102468 »

I have a S&W Model 36 that I love. It's a .38 with a 2 in. barrel.
Great pocket gun when I don't want to carry my P-64.

C-Ya, Bobby J.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

A lot of Webleys had the cylinder "shaved" to accept .45 acp cartridges in half-moon clips during WWII. You can tell by looking at the serial number on the cylinder face (hammer side, not barrel-breech side). If each number looks like half is missing, like for example the bottom half is gone, it has been shaved, if the numbers are in complete form, it hasn't.
himmel,

It's true that the .455 Webley had to have the cylinders shaved to accept the .45 acp with the half or full moon clips, however, it didn't occur during WWII, it was after the war and by the importers that were selling the Webley's as .45acp, because the .455 ammo was hard to come by and expensive. In most cases the .45acp can be shot in the converted .445 Webley's, however, I wouldn't want to shoot one without it being checked our by a competent gunsmith. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I wouldn't do it. In terms of collectling it ruins the value for one thing and for another IMHO it not safe to do.

Just my $0.02 worth.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Garry,

I really like those old top break pocket pistols. Mine is a 5th model S&W .38 S&W [or .38 short] "Lemon Squeezer", has the safety on the grip, I have put maybe 20 rds through it. Its a safe queen now.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

I have a S&W Model 36 that I love. It's a .38 with a 2 in. barrel.
Great pocket gun when I don't want to carry my P-64.

C-Ya, Bobby J.
Bobby J.,

I really like the S&W M36 too, I have 3, one with a 2"bbl [actually it's 1 7/8'] and two with the 3" bbl. My problem is I have to many favorites..... ;D the 2" is a 1960 and has the pinned bbl, flat latch and matching SN stocks.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
rlj102468
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by rlj102468 »

i just sent Dennis a PM about grips for mine. It looks close to yours but I dont have the dimond shape on my grips. I like the combat style grips alot better than the normal ones on the square butt, but it seems most grips are made for the rounded frames. Nice collection of them you have! ;)

C-Ya, Bobby J.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

himmel,

It's true that the .455 Webley had to have the cylinders shaved to accept the .45 acp with the half or full moon clips, however, it didn't occur during WWII, it was after the war and by the importers that were selling the Webley's as .45acp, because the .455 ammo was hard to come by and expensive. In most cases the .45acp can be shot in the converted .445 Webley's, however, I wouldn't want to shoot one without it being checked our by a competent gunsmith. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I wouldn't do it. In terms of collectling it ruins the value for one thing and for another IMHO it not safe to do.

Just my $0.02 worth.

papabear

So do I understand correctly that the Webleys that shoot 45acp have the 455 barrel still intact. The cartridge is the same size and just the cylinder needed adjusting to take the moon clips.

I ask, as I might have an inexpensive project gun in 45 acp that needs a barrel assembly but all I find are the Webley 455.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Yes, everything is the same except the cylinder is "shaved". I have one, but it is non-functional, part of the topstrap is broken and part of the lockwork is broken. BTW, PB, those are some nice guns indeed!! BTW2, I was told once the post-WWII Webleys didn't have a whole lot of collector value anyway--but I did read that "shaving" them did destroy whatever value there was...
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

BTW, PB, those are some nice guns indeed!! BTW2, I was told once the post-WWII Webleys didn't have a whole lot of collector value anyway--but I did read that "shaving" them did destroy whatever value there was...
himmel,

Thanks for your kind comments, I kinda like em myself, and enjoy shooting em all too. The 3" blue with the "Banana" grips is one of my favorite, the Nickel is now a safe queen and both are RB's and the 2" [SB] is a re-blue that I did myself, and it is a bedroom queen, it stays at my bed side every night.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER