What is your favorite revolver?

Use this section for all other firearms
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by devlinfaust »

Anjdrifter,

Just a suggestion, but I always talk about how it is a "historical piece" and it is educational to have these relics, and that I am certainly not getting them just for the fun of shooting them, although I must shoot them from time to time, because it is "good for them."

Now, if that doesn't work, you can always fall back on, having that C & R license and saying that you are geetting them "wholesale" and the absoultely never-fail, thing that virtually all women can relate to, "it's a bargain".

Actually, you'll be pretty much on the level with all these excuses. They have worked well for me in the past (I have a big safe, too). Unfortunately, I haven't come up with a good one for the mail order ammo.

By the way, you'll love that CZ-52. Nothing like shooting one of those--will make you wonder why they ever got away from the 7.62x25. The Nagant revolver is fun, too, in a different way...doesn't SOG allow you to pick the year of manufacture for something like five bucks more on the Nagant revolvers?
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

If we're still on the Nagant, I got mine with no trouble, it was stamped 1942 and my wife and I thought it was a real collector's item :P--didn't know then that the market was flooded with them! LOL! But it makes a great "house gun" I think, with .32 mags in the wheel...
Last edited by himmel on July 25th, 2007, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by devlinfaust »

Himel, I've tried the .32 S & W, but I've never tried the .32 H & R magnums. Do those work well with the Nagant revolver? Do you have that problem of having to to scrub to get the led off the cylinder like the .32 S & W? Also, do you think that the power is more or less equal to the 7.62 Nagant Fiocchi or Hotshot?
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Sorry Carguy, but its himmel's fault for keeping the Nagant M95 thing going here..... ;D this is my Nagant m95, its a Peter The Great, 1916, it goes with my 1916 Mosin Nagant M91. It is a rearsenal but has the original grips, not as pretty as anjdrigter's grips he got from Chris.

The 1916 MN model 91 I have was made by <s>White</s> New England Westinghouse for the Russians, Remington also them for Russia, I also have the Remington lock ring bayo for it.

papabear

Note: Originally above I wrote that 1916 MN model 91 was made by White Westinghouse, when in acutality it was made by New England Westinghouse
Last edited by papabear on July 30th, 2007, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

my nagant revolver is 1944 (tula with a hammer instead of an arrow in the star) and my 91/30 is 1942 Izhevsk, what I want next (why do I keep buying guns, I'm a college student for Petes sake...I'll call it an investment) is a m38 nagant, but now that I hear the Polish P83 will be coming in I want that too.... :P

p.s. I still want a ammo can (or more) full of 9x18, I'm e-mailing SOG, Century ect to see hopefully spark their interests to find some, If I get and promising answers I'll start a new thread about it.

p.s._p.s. and I also want a 91/30 sniper, and PSL, and a TT33, and a cz52, and a pps43 (semi auto), <sub>and a bla, bla, bla, bla, bla,</sub>
Last edited by trent on July 25th, 2007, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Garry: Cool shotshell project...stuff like that makes we want to start reloading. Just what I need another project to finance!!

Papabear: YOU ARE KILLING ME! I love the Peter the Great "version", with all the cyrllic writing. You just confirmed that you are as "anal" for lack of a better word...your Nagantg is the same year as your Mosin!! I thought I was nuts when I found myself wanting to do this too.

Trent: You are way too young to get into this with such a full head of steam. But then again if I had not stopped for 25 years maybe I'd have a collection like those I envy (Papabear's, Anjdrifter's, Beasleydano etc). Never mind keep buying, keep buying!!
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Himel, I've tried the .32 S & W, but I've never tried the .32 H & R magnums. Do those work well with the Nagant revolver? Do you have that problem of having to to scrub to get the led off the cylinder like the .32 S & W? Also, do you think that the power is more or less equal to the 7.62 Nagant Fiocchi or Hotshot?
.32 mags work just about the same in mine, except the casings sometimes split a little if I don't doctor them with scotch tape first--the .32 longs just bulge a bit. I think the lead fouling problem occurs with any non-jacketed non-recessed bullet. I really don't know about the Fiocchi and Hotshot rounds, but I was told that the Fiocchis are pretty anemic, probably on a par with the .32 longs. My under-educated guess would be that the .32 mag outpowers any modern Nagant ammo; I'm told that the original military loads were probably about equal to the .32 mag.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

from what I have read and I believe posted in past the 32mag is
about equal to the 38 spl.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Sorry Carguy, but its himmel's fault for keeping the Nagant M95 thing going here..... ;D this is my Nagant m95, its a Peter The Great, 1916, it goes with my 1916 Mosin Nagant M91. It is a rearsenal but has the original grips, not as pretty as anjdrigter's grips he got from Chris.

The 1916 MN model 91 I have was made by White Westinghouse for the Russians, Remington also them for Russia, I also have the Remington lock ring bayo for it.

papabear
Hey, I'll gladly take the blame for inducing you to post that pic!! Whatta beaut!! ;D
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

from what I have read and I believe posted in past the 32mag is
about equal to the 38 spl.
I've read the same, I don't know why the caliber isn't more popular unless it's just that the .38 is already there and doing the same job
Last edited by himmel on July 26th, 2007, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

I love this stuff!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

devlinfaust,

I enjoy from time to time using the ammo that the Russians actually used in WWII in the Nagant m95, I don't shoot it a lot because its expensive, but Cole Distributing, located in Scottsville, Ky carries the original 1938/39 7.62 nagant ammo. Like I said its a bit pricey at $14.95 + shipping for 14 rds or $119.95 + shipping for 140 rds, but for me its a kick to shoot the stuff from time to time, if you want to give it a try here is their web site. These are the same folks that I got my E.G. Mak from at Knob Creek this past spring.

http://www.coledistributing.com/

If I figured it right, a box of 40 would run $42.80. I was fortunate at a show in Florida last year because a friend gave me 32 rds of the 1938 Nagant ammo for a deal I got for him on a 1951 non re-arsonaled Russian SKS.

papabear
Last edited by papabear on July 26th, 2007, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by devlinfaust »

Papbear--nothing wrong with one had washing the other, or a favor for a favor. I may look into those 1938 shells. It's remarkable how well some things are made, almost 70 years old and still igniting. I hope I can ignite when I get to be 70.

Thanks also, Himmel, for the update on the .32 mag. I may give that a spin, as well!
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

I actually handled a 1926 Nagant today at a gun shop in New Hampshire. Nice, different, I'm just not sure I get it. Even the shop owner couldn't understand why they had been developed.

I did get sort of a history lesson. He said the Russians contracted with Smith and Wesson for 30,000 of their top break revolvers in the late 1800's and then Nagant decided to develop his revolver and Russia adopted it. He claims that loss of business almost put S&W out of business and they sold their patents for the top break russian design to Colt. I'd love to have one of those right now. That is a gorgeous looking pistol!
Last edited by carguy on July 26th, 2007, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

:-/