What is your favorite revolver?

Use this section for all other firearms
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Papabear--Maybe I should send you my Mak for a facelift... ;)
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

himmel,

It took me forever, and a ton of help of my neighbor to "Get "R" Done", on the S&W model 36, but it was a labor of love, not to sure I want to go through that again. Really don't have the equipment and I understand why gunsmiths charge what they do for re-bluing, but thanks for the offer.

I am very fortunate to have a neighbor that does wood work and another that does some really nice work on bluing his shotguns and is trying to pass it on to me.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Fair enough, my friend!
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

I love everybody's revolvers but I am deeply in love with NBENDER's USAF 45LC. That is just...spectacular!

I'm now convinced that I need one.

I can't afford a USAF but I saw some very nice Uberti 45s, 357s etc. And I love their Bisley.

I am saving my nickels and I think I'll forgo the 22 Mak conversion and work on a SA Cowboy pistol. Just shooting some larger caliber revolvers a few weeks ago really got me excited. Not very practical but fun stuff! Maybe the 357 / 38 version or like NBENDER's a 45LC with 45 ACP cylinder for some economical shooting. I just love that case hardened look!!
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

related question to carguy's post, what calibers did they use in the "cowboy" era (aside from .45LC) in single action revolvers.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

I dunno about the single/double action biz, but they had all kinds of calibers--including a lot of large-size rimfires (I think the original Remington two-shot derringer was a .41 rimfire). Laura Ingalls Wilder's ma carried a .22 revolver, the Smith and Wesson "Russian" was in .44, uhhh, S&W Russian :P IIRC...
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Trent,

I too know that they use the .45LC in cowboy shoots but I will have to acquiesce to abwerh, he would know for sure, he does cowboy shoots, hopefully he will answer your question or maybe someone else here knows too.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

I love everybody's revolvers but I am deeply in love with NBENDER's USAF 45LC. That is just...spectacular!
carguy,

I know exactly what you mean, every time he shows us a pic of his USFA pre-war .45LC I get chills running up and down my spine and I get that warm fuzzy feeling all over. I down loaded it to my files and I take a peak at it from time to time. What I have doesn't even come close, but I like it none the less, it a Italian reproduction black powder ball and cap .36 cal, and its fun to shoot and then clean off your face and hands and then spend a lot of time cleaning it, but its worth it, reminds me how easy we have it today.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

This is Mrs. Blinddog and here's MY baby. Blinddog likes it too, but it fits my hand better. :)

anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

ok since I have been gone for a little while I have had plenty of time to think about this, so here is my favorite revolver with great grips.
wait that isnt a picture of my charter undercover, no wait it isnt a picture of Taurus 4" bull barrell. Now wait a minute where is the picture of the Iver Johnson sure shot 22, wait it isnt a picture of the other wheel guns I have. Guess my point is cant make up my mind .whichever I have in hand at time is favorite.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by devlinfaust »

Anjdrifter,

You know, I have one of those as well and like it. Have you tried the new Hotshot ammo? We did and it worked pretty well--about like the Fiocchi. The cheapest I've found the Hotshot stuff is about $22 a box. Since you're obviously an Nagant lover, do you have any ideas where someone might get 7.62 for a 'reasonable' price?
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

right now the russian target stuff is around 14. at places like sog ,j and g , and i think aim. I am real lucky I have a guy who gives it to me for around 12 or 13 depending on what he has and no shipping.have not shot the hotshot yet but will. My Nagants, , handle s and w long and also 32 Mag. without a problem, and they are all over and easy to find and are prived fairly. one thing you must do if you use the 32 and that is pay particular attention to lead,powder and fouling inside the cyclinder as it will build up there and cause problems.
Last edited by anjdrifter on July 23rd, 2007, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

devlinfaust,

I got my last batch of Nagant 7.62 at Classic Arms for 14.95 for a yellow box of 40 rds. They have it again. AIM also has it for the same price, I could be wrong, but I think Cassic's shipping is cheaper, but I can't remember.

http://www.classicarms.us/

papabear
Last edited by papabear on July 23rd, 2007, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by devlinfaust »

I like the smell of that Russian target stuff, as it has a real 'gunpowdery' smell, but it also makes me think that it might be somewhat corrosive, although I've not seen any evidence of it. I've used the .32 stuff (not the .32 mag) and while it works well, in the revolver, the 'horsepower' needed to clean the cylinder is a little prohibitive.

I can't tell much difference between the Hotshot and Fiocchi. Both seem to be quality made and more powerful than the Russian target stuff. With regards to the Russian target ammo, when you consider that you're getting 40 instead of 50, the prorating would be about $18 a box, and it starts to loose some of it's advantage.

As many Nagant revolvers as there are out there, I'm surprised that the ammo is so difficult to come by. I would've guessed that Wolf and some of the Russian manufacturers would have milliions of it laying around. I understand that Fiocchi only makes one run of the stuff every five years!

Thanks for the information, I will look into those websites!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

devlinfaust,

Quote "With regards to the Russian target ammo, when you consider that you're getting 40 instead of 50, the prorating would be about $18 a box, and it starts to loose some of it's advantage".

I see your point, and appreciate what you are saying, however, at $14.95 a box for 40 that averages out to $0.37 a box as compared to $22.95 a box for 50 that averages out to $0.46 a box. so roughly 10 cents a round makes sense to me but then I don't use the Nagant for anything other than target practice, and darn little of that, because I can't see using my Nagant M95 for self-defense, but then to each is own, that's what makes this site a great place to come to, we share our ideas and thoughts without flaming.

Take Care,

papabear

papabear
POINT SHOOTER