Shot the P64 today

Info, pictures, advice...
torpeau

Shot the P64 today

Post by torpeau »

Hi maddogrecurve,
Have you tried different ammo. I shoot Wolf 95 grn military classic. I have heard horror stories with that stuff, but I can get it close by and the price is right.
Maybe the "horror stories" were on older production of W MC. I have shot 100s of rounds w/ zero problems.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Shot the P64 today

Post by garry »

I just bought another 300 rounds of Wolf MC 7.62x39 and am still very pleased with the consistency. Not one single failure in any way. I ran out of reloads , so I also picked up 2 more boxes of Wolf MC in 9mmMak, and they are great ! In fact I use the wolf ammo as a size guide when i reload , because i know that they feed wonderfully . G
crzbiker

Shot the P64 today

Post by crzbiker »

Hey Partner,
I had the same problem when I used Blazer ammunition. It jammed on every magazine. I tried Wolf and Czech special without any problems. Today I shot a hundred of the Wolf Military Classic without one problem. (I will say trying to get the full six into the magazines is a real feat of strength.)
Instigator/Conservative Underground
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Shot the P64 today

Post by garry »

crbziker, The magazines will relax ,barely, after several loadings and unloadings. No worries , it will get easier in time ! You reminded me of when I loaded mine the first couple times~ I immediately went out and bought several more magazines , because, I knew I didn't want to have to do that very often between shots !LOL It is pretty hard on the fingers for awhile until you get in the flow with it. It soon becomes a minor issue. Working the springs could be benificial. Good Luck ! G
torpeau

Shot the P64 today

Post by torpeau »

Hey Partner,
I had the same problem when I used Blazer ammunition. It jammed on every magazine. I tried Wolf and Czech special without any problems. Today I shot a hundred of the Wolf Military Classic without one problem. (I will say trying to get the full six into the magazines is a real feat of strength.)
Get a Mantis loader. The 1st 5, at least, will go in easily.

http://www.gunclips.net/mantisloader.html
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Shot the P64 today

Post by anjdrifter »

:) the mantis does the job case closed
maddogrecurve

Shot the P64 today

Post by maddogrecurve »

Hey electross, i have some wolf military classic coming in the mail.... We'll see.
electross

Shot the P64 today

Post by electross »

maddogrecurve,
Its all I buy, there's another forum that isn't real hot on the stuff. I get it from a gun shop locally. In the past I used silver bear and had good luck with it also. I've thought about ordering in some Wolf but by the time I pay shipping, the local shop is cheaper and I would rather support him. I'm close to Aim and you can walk in for retail sales there. They have a decent price on it as well. Actually, I have not had bad luck with any ammo except some surplus stuff for my CZ 52. I think sometimes it's not the ammo, it's the wrist. Where are you getting the Wolf from and how much are you paying for it. Locally I pay 9.50 per 50.
torpeau

Shot the P64 today

Post by torpeau »

electross wrote:Hi maddogrecurve,
Have you tried different ammo. I shoot Wolf 95 grn military classic. I have heard horror stories with that stuff, but I can get it close by and the price is right. Silver Bear is not available to me through the local Gun Store that I hang out in. Try some Wolf. My P64 shoots that stuff without any problems. There is also MFS +P that might work out for you, it's all brass cased. That might slide into battery better as gypsydavy stated.
From the comments I've seen, Military Classic works quite well for most people. No problem for me. That +P means nothing on the MFS -- also based on comments here and the Mak board.
electross

Shot the P64 today

Post by electross »

torpeau,
I guess I stand corrected. I thought,somewhere, I read some folks weren't satisfied with Wolf. I'm personally satisfied with the ammo. Obviously you are as well. I hope he fixes his feeding problem. Done.
donnerwetter58

Shot the P64 today

Post by donnerwetter58 »

electross,
Aim has been out of Wolf 9x18 for about a week now.
SOG has the MFS still listed in their catalog. It's 8.95, box of 50.
It's good reliable ammo. As someone mentioned, it's brass cased and reloadable.
My girlfriend burns more 9x18 than I do so I can always use brass. I'd give you $2.50 a box for your once fired MFS brass so you could save by recycling. Not to mention what you'll be doing for the environment of course.
Happy shootin'
Dave
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Shot the P64 today

Post by garry »

ALL Ammo goes thru stages where some manufacturers get a good product going and then they get lazy about quality and something bad slips thru for awhile until it is brought to their attention and then most will adjust and or remove it from stock and then there are the recalls if enough folks complain or the product becomes dangerous. Wolf Ammo has been one that has had some Horrible reviews, and then others would swear by it as some of the best!
Based on price, Wolf is hard to beat(even for reloaders).
I have had Winchester White box ammo that wouldn't shoot straight at all and also Sellior-Bellot Ammo that was dead-on. I just got a bad batch of S&B 7.62x54r that the primers are piercing regularly enough that i had to stop shooting it. I normally like S&B well. The Wolf Gold in that caliber is quite accurate. I kind of agree with some others, that Ammo made in Russia works well in Russian guns. It was MADE for them. That doesn't mean it is good or better than others, just that it was made to their specifications and works well enough for them.
On the other hand I have some American -made ammo that has split cases and blown out case heads. especially on .22 cal. ammo. Some of it is complete crud, (starts with "F" and ends with "L" and middle initial is "edera" !!! Complete s**t. CCI has some low quality ammo also. I love their .25 auto ammo but I HATE their 9x18mak ammo. I have heard great things about CCI, but it was almost as bad as the WIN. white box crud. This is all about accuracy tho, and has nothing to do with Dangerous splitting or blown primers. I ad some old Sidewinder ammo that blew up and spit particulate into my face, That USED to be my favorite of ALL .22 ammo. I don't like getting sprayed by crap. so I DON'T USE it anymore. I bet if i got a NEW box of it i would like it again, Hence, Things change and so does ammo. It is cyclic and good quality ammo is hard to find- Especially when it is made to be safe in "Average Joe's Gun".
These discussions about AMMO are what MAKE US ALL SAFER !
Lets make this list long and informative and we can stay ahead of the Bad stuff !
Thanks Guys, your Experience AND Input is Ultra Important for ALL of us !!! Keep up the good work and shoot often ! G
Last edited by garry on April 24th, 2008, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
electross

Shot the P64 today

Post by electross »

Thanks Dave,
We have to be neighbors, I live in Warren County, Harlen Twp. and own a contracting business in Maineville. Aim is close actually, 45 min. drive to Middletown. I haven't been in their store since I bought my P6 from them. I have shot the MFS+P before but I visit two main gun shops, one in Morrow and the other in Loveland. Loveland doesn't stock 9X18 at all. In Morrow, he has Wolf right next to the MFS, and the Wolf is cheaper. So, thats what I buy. I just put holes in paper so I'm not to picky. I use Hornady if I'm serious. Thanks again for the update on Aim, I'll check their site later next week. Maybe pick up some MFS. :)
electross

Shot the P64 today

Post by electross »

Oops, went right on top of you Garry, nice reply. I hope the switch in ammo cures maddogrecurve's problem.

Dale
jakub66

Shot the P64 today

Post by jakub66 »

Put 200 rounds of S&B FMJ thru mine on Sunday. My hand still hurts. No problems with the pistol. Shot Wolf and Silver Bear before, only had couple jams at very begining, and they went away after first twenty rounds or so. I belive it was a gun issue, not an ammo. I guess Garry's statement is true, every manufacturer puts out bad batch from time to time.
I feed my AKs and SKS' cheapest stuff I can find. They love it.
Same thing goes for our CZAKs. They were designed to take "the best" state industries could provide.