New P-64 Magazine

Info, pictures, advice...
scottthegerman

New P-64 Magazine

Post by scottthegerman »

I have a question (actually many questions!) that you guys may be able to answer for me. One question is: I bought a spare magazine for my P-64 which is broken in and functions just fine, however when I push the heel clip to release the spare magazine, it does not get ejected out like the original mag. I have to pull it out by the floorplate. (Subsequent I bought another "like new" spare magazine which does the same thing.) Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
torpeau

New P-64 Magazine

Post by torpeau »

I have a question (actually many questions!) that you guys may be able to answer for me. One question is: I bought a spare magazine for my P-64 which is broken in and functions just fine, however when I push the heel clip to release the spare magazine, it does not get ejected out like the original mag. I have to pull it out by the floorplate.
The only time it's been difficult for me to release a magazine is when I have screwed the grips really tight. Some mags are looser than others.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
scottthegerman

New P-64 Magazine

Post by scottthegerman »

Thanks torpeau. Another question regarding the P-64 mag: what's the best tool, to lift the bent portion of the magazine spring, to take the magazine apart. Other than cleaning items, I don't have any gunsmith tools. I have not had much luck using what's in my toolbox.
barnett3006

New P-64 Magazine

Post by barnett3006 »

Scott,

any pointed tool should work fine; knife point, jewelers screwdriver, a nail, straighted paper clip, etc, etc....
donnerwetter58

New P-64 Magazine

Post by donnerwetter58 »

You don't need to pull on the bent tail of the spring. Stick something through the slots in the magazine sides at the base end and move the spring toward the follower to release the base. A small screwdriver, allen wrench. nail or such will do.
scottthegerman

New P-64 Magazine

Post by scottthegerman »

Thank you so much to everyone for your responses. It's been a while since I've been to the forum. Everyone has been extremely helpful and I will visit more often. I never would have thought about using a tool (such as a small screwdriver) to pull the spring in the P-64 magazine, in order to take it apart. It's so much easier that way.
roester

New P-64 Magazine

Post by roester »

Didn't mean to hijack your thread but it looks like you got your answer and mine is probably easy. I was shooting with a friend at the old C.E. range in GA. We were mostly shooting our AK/SKS's at first - then we got down to handguns. He shot his .32 ACP and I shot my "new" Mak. All was cool for the 1st mag but I only could comforatbaly get 5 in the mag (it was tight). It shot good through 5 shots and (after cooling) I reloaded.

Next time I was shooting and it didn't fire first time...so I re-cocked. The guy next to me said he saw the trigger guard or something go down a bit before I shot (but it was too late to warn me). I didn't notice anything.

Anyway the damn cover shot off into the range along with the main spring. I didn't get hurt so I wasn't pissed. Still it's a pain to bring one of your guns back in three pieces. I was just gonna toss it in the trash but I settled down. Maybe I touched something wrong???

All advice appreciated.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

New P-64 Magazine

Post by normsutton »

roester

need to see some pix please

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

New P-64 Magazine

Post by garry »

Another Member here just bought a P-64 without the trigger guard and i suggested NOT shooting it that way as i thought it might do as your's did. Man , It sounds like you got lucky you weren't injured. It could be fairly easy to pull down on the trigger guard and not notice if it had dropped down and "set" to the side. This is not Normal, but probably could happen on most guns with that type of Breakdown mechanism.
Are you able to reassemble it and does it look ok? or is there damage from the trip it took downrange?
Did you have a two-handed grip? perhaps , when you grabbed it , it pulled out of it's position?
I am not sure about the mechanisms on that particular pistol, but, the trigger guard being out of position should have prevented the rest of the gun from firing. Anyone ?
I am anxious to hear the findings here , so PLEASE post what you can including pics. Thanks, G
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

New P-64 Magazine

Post by anjdrifter »

one of the first things that ever happened to me with the 64 was the pin holding the guard came loose and the guard did in fact come out of position and rested on side in the the take down position. I was lucky I Saw it when it didnt cycle right and 2 it led me to find a great menton who taught me not only how to make a new pin but blue it ,also have never had a problem since. SO check that pin and also I will thank Norm again for helping me fix mind.