What I learned about my p-64 today . . .

Info, pictures, advice...
9x18shooter

Post by 9x18shooter »

Guys, I have been away for a while but I think we had gone over the safety issues a while back.

When funcioning properly the p-64 is as safe as any DA revolver. The hammer cannot travel forward and contact the firing pin unless the trigger is in the rearward position like a modern DA revolver with a transfer bar. Saying that you should never carry with the safety off says you should never carry a DA revolver.

My CCW instructor is a retired policeman . He recommended not to carry with the "safety on" if you are going to carry. The safety is between your ears. He also told some of the people not to carry some of the pistols they brought to the range session as they didn't have a transfer bar or could go off when dropped.

He said that if you need to use your gun chances are it will be quick and a safety may get you killed.

I have been around firearms my whole life.
I am also a lefty so flicking a safety on or off is not easy.
I carry with a round chambered and safety off. If the gun is not safe to carry this way I won't carry it.

The p-64 and cz-82 are as safe as any modern DA revolver to carry with safety off. If it makes you feel safer to use the safety then by all means it is your right.

Those that carry with the safety off are not unsafe at all nor do they need to move.
redfestiva

Post by redfestiva »

I indeed know that I can make a mistake and I try to be careful not to. For instance, I think it would be a mistake to carry my P-64 with the safety on so I am careful never to put it on. :P
mirother

Post by mirother »

Thanks guys for this wonderful discussion on safety. I believe that 9x18 Shooter mentioned the CZ 82. This gun is interesting. You must either carry it with the safety on, but cocked and locked as a single action 1911 or you must carry it with the hammer down and the safety off. The gun itself seems to have been manufactured with a combat philosophy in mind. Of course, you could carry it without a round in the chamber, but if you need a self defense gun, that would be a little too slow for me. At any rate, the CZ 82 seems to assume that with the hammer down, you don't need a safety, and its trigger pull is not nearly as heavy as the P-64.
Personally, I love the P-64, except for its safety. I don't like a safety that you must push up. I have had this safety reengage while firing, not good. Some of you fellows have helped me fix this. Personally, I like the original Makarov with the safety on and one in the chamber. Knock the safety down and pull the trigger. That is the most natural for me, and I do feel a bit safer than the alternatives.
electross

Post by electross »

Gentlemen,
This has been good discussion but the main issue is there is so many different handguns, so many different personalities, that from reading this, I've come to the conclusion that all are correct for electing to "carry" the way they feel comfortable. I would not be worried about carrying my P64, CZ 82, or most of my other handguns without the safety on. It just would not bother me. It would bother me to carry my 1911 cocked and locked. Not real warm and fuzzy over carrying my M&P9 with one in and the rest waiting and the only thing from firing is a sqeeze of the trigger. Don't trust my CZ52 as far as I can trow it but I love the gun. I would have no trouble from a .357 with a full wheel. The motion of pulling the trigger is very deliberate. My son has a Glock, nice handgun, I'm not familiar with it so it would be a cold day in h-- before I would carry it loaded and ready. Not because it is un-safe, I don't know the handgun. I guess the important thing is, if you carry, you have to be in a comfort zone with yourself. If it don't feel right, don't do it that way. :)