What I learned about my p-64 today . . .

Info, pictures, advice...
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

I carry six in the mag +one in the tube with my P-64 with the safety off, I carry with a clipdraw, pocket holster and IWB gangster carry and with different pistols also, all have the safety's off and one in the tube........some of us here have actually used our weapon in a self-defense scenario and had to pull the trigger. Shooting paper is easy, it don't shoot back. IMO if you are concerned about safety maybe you should stay home, I understand about safety and your concerns and I'm not flaming anyone but it's my preferred carry, just my $0.02 worth.

papabear.
POINT SHOOTER
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

Stay home huh? Classic
butch50

Post by butch50 »

I am an old codger that has seen enough human error with guns (some by very experienced and safe shooters too) to believe in keeping the safety on. The milisecond or two it takes to flip the safety off, well if you are in a situation that tight then God help you if you have gotten down to miliseconds. If you walk around with the safety off thinking that you are going to need that milisecond at any time, I just don't know what to say to you.

I wonder how hard it would be to weld a small thumb tab onto the safety to make it easier to find and flip? Anyone ever tried it?
redfestiva

Post by redfestiva »

Using that logic, no one would ever carry a loaded revolver. Just like my revolver , all I have to do is draw the P-64 ,aim and pull the trigger. I can't see where carrying the P-64 with safety off is any more unsafe than carrying a revolver style pistol. I don't recommend carrying any gun in a manner that you are'nt comfortable with however.
Last edited by redfestiva on March 12th, 2008, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

+1 with redfestiva. Handguns are dangerous weapons that need to be ready for dangerous situations. If I am in dire need of my handgun I need to be able to present and use it as quickly as possible. The only time that I carry with a safety on is when I carry a cocked and locked single action pistol.
butch50

Post by butch50 »

If you just gotta walk around with the safety off expecting to have to do a fast draw and instant shoot out at any second without any warning at all - you might want to consider moving to a better area, that would seem to be a more "logical" solution.
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

For just a moment remember your training. Remember what muscle memory means we are not apes we are intelligent enough to add a split second into our moves (most of us anyway) ask yourself do you actually know what muscle memory means? if not then maybe some of us think a little too highly of ourselves.

butch50
I'm with you, the only reason I brought this up is like you said about that milisecond.
Do be prepared but c'mon down off that high horse if you can't be still for a split second all is lost for you. It is not the gun it's our mind that is the most important weapon.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

If I did not expect the possibility of needing my weapon I would possibly leave it at home or in the glove box of the car with the ammo in the trunk. As a former LEO I have come to expect the unexpected. If I were not confident in my weapon or in my personal regimen of arms I might act differently. Round in the chamber or not? Safety on or safety off? High retention thumb break or open top holster? If you are a LEO you have departmental policy to guide you. If you are a civilian you do have choices to make. There are more than two schools of thought and I will not say that I am right and you are wrong. We have the right to make our own choices. I do like the discussions and getting others' opinions on these topics.
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

Well brother from this point of view we are on the same page. I do get what you are saying. The main reason I posed this thought is some folks seemed to be amped up without really understanding what and why and some folks seem to assume what I posed is absurd and impossible. I think you know what I am saying, you remember what that moment of stillness means when all around you is all but? I am sure you know what I mean when one puts "I can't" on the table I can't will mean I won't! I am certain you know these things as survival and I do thank you, for this exchange of thoughts! We both know that what we have done with our side arms is a personal matter but how we make it through and how we prepare for another is ours to share with our brothers if they will listen. Again thanks
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

And to be sure, as a bit of a purist I would take personally and defend the right to carry any way we see fit. I mean we because no matter the school of thought on carry etc. there is only we.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

It's not the size or shape of the safety that bothers me, it's the awkwardness of the upward push to "fire"... My thumb is trained to sweep a safety down I guess--so I carry my P64 like a DA revolver, one in the chute, safety off
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

+1 with himmel, and just another reason I don't use the safety on a P-64, I guess all those years I carried a revolver and still do at times depending on where I'm going, and they didn't even have a safety on them, I guess I should have moved to a safer area. Well at least I agree that we have the right to carry in what ever way we choose, so I'll leave it at that.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
orchidhunter

Post by orchidhunter »

papabear, The saftey on a revolver, is located between the ears of the shooter. orchidhunter
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

Now as much as I like to throw friendly darts, that is difficult here, it would be easier in person where folks could go back and forth and enjoy the sparring. Jokes or not I don't want this to become something UNFRIENDLY. The point either gets across or it dosen't but this needs to remain FRIENDLY orchidhunter !!!!! Anyone notice it's spring training time Go Tribe
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Now I am one of the stupid ones!!! I had the safety on while i loaded my SKS yesterday and then i flipped it off and shot it to show my brother, and i "emptied it" on a target and sat it down. He asked me what "Bumpfiring" meant. I picked the SKS back up ,thinking it was empty, I walked over to him and stood between he and my friend/shooting buddy whom had his back turned , standing to my right.
I put my thumb thru the trigger guard and showed him how to "lightly" pull forward on the "BANG"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH S**T --- It was NOT empty!!! The GUN quit shooting so I "assumed" i ran it empty. CAN I HIT THE BROADSIDE OF A BARN ? You Bet I can! and DID.
I can't tell you in words how I feel now knowing that "That coulda hit my Brother or my Great Friend". The bullet went between them with about 3 feet on either side of it. (they were about 6 feet away from each other with me in the middle.)
I had been aware of where it was pointing as i showed my brother(situational awareness), I GOT DAMN LUCKY yesterday. My friend and brother laughed but it scared the hell out of me. I usually have the safety on when i lay down a loaded gun , but until now i never really considered setting the safety on a "presumably" un-loaded gun. I will from NOW on!!!!! Like I said at the beginning, I feel very stupid and careless right now and likely will for a long ,long time over this. Maybe my brother and friend never really thought out the consequences over what "coulda happened", but I have. Now i know first hand how accidents can happen. I have alot of years of experience shooting guns. This is the first time that has ever happened to me.
Makes me want to only go shooting when i am by myself.
I will leave the rest of the "What if's" to you guys, as i have been "What if'ing" since 6pm yesterday. I neglected a couple /few of the first rules of safe gun handling, I pray it never happens again. I got Lucky. Just MY .02 cents worth. G
Last edited by garry on March 13th, 2008, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.