new here , just bought a p-64 and it broke :(

Info, pictures, advice...
fattie

Post by fattie »

hi guys , my name is chris and today i purchased a 1974 polish p-64. i purchased it for a160. got home and loaded up the 2 magazines and proceeded to test fire it at a few bottles. put the first mag in , pulled the slide back and it jammed. the round didnt go into the chamber straight. im using bear? 9x18 ammo.

well it jammed 5 or 6 different times and i ended up getting 14 rounds through it before the peice of the trigger gaurd that keeps the slide on broke off.

im very dissapointed. in a few days im taking my conceal and cary test and everybody including 2 gunshop owners told me this would be an excellent choice. what can i do to make this not happen again and where can i find a new trigger guard ? ive already tried calling back the gunshop where i bought it and also gunbroker.com , thanks in advance guys.
kempin

Post by kempin »

Wow.

Sorry for your disappointment. It is certainly typical for a new p-64 to jam a bit as you are first breaking it in--especially if they are heavier hollowpoints, but that is a fundamental piece of the pistol to break off. That is unacceptable and unsafe.

I have no explanation for that and would refer it to the deeper metallurgical minds on this board, but it strikes me that there was something seriously wrong with the pistol.

Just out of curiosity, was it an unissues pistol, or was it perhaps used . . . and abused . . . before you got it? Did you examine it closely or have a gunsmith check it?

-Kempin
fattie

Post by fattie »

Wow.

Sorry for your disappointment. It is certainly typical for a new p-64 to jam a bit as you are first breaking it in--especially if they are heavier hollowpoints, but that is a fundamental piece of the pistol to break off. That is unacceptable and unsafe.

I have no explanation for that and would refer it to the deeper metallurgical minds on this board, but it strikes me that there was something seriously wrong with the pistol.

Just out of curiosity, was it an unissues pistol, or was it perhaps used . . . and abused . . . before you got it? Did you examine it closely or have a gunsmith check it?

-Kempin

thanks for the quick reply. the ammo i was using were hollow points , not sure of the weight. i bought it at a "gun show". i looked it over and talked to the guy for a while before making my decission. the guy i bought it from has his own gunshop and he gave me his card incase anythign went wrong , well it did so i called and left 2 messages. so hopefully he will call me back and make things right. until then im very very dissapointed , i deffinitly wouldnt trust my life with this pistol , if something bad had happend that forced me to use it , i couldve ended up dead.

its kind of funny , beacuse i was looking at another 9mm pistol ( some weired name , use to be jennings ) and he said it wouldnt be good for conceal and carry because the gun needs to operate 100% , well it lasted a few rounds and jammed a bunch so something is terribly wrong. if i dont get a call back tonight or tommorro morning i guess ill have to take the 120 mile round trip again. :(
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

fattie
WECOME

don't shoot anything over a 95 grn buttle

you can get parts here

http://www.tnguns.com/shop/index.php?ma ... 20a&page=3

this how you put it in

If you have a vise its not so bad, take a wash cloth fold it in half , put gun and cloth between jaws of vise like in pix

then slowly tighten jaws on vise tell you can push pin in or out

PS . REMOVE GRIPS AND RECOIL SPRING
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
fattie

Post by fattie »

fattie
WECOME

don't shoot anything over a 95 grn buttle

you can get parts here

http://www.tnguns.com/shop/index.php?ma ... 20a&page=3

this how you put it in

If you have a vise its not so bad, take a wash cloth fold it in half , put gun and cloth between jaws of vise like in pix

then slowly tighten jaws on vise tell you can push pin in or out

PS . REMOVE GRIPS AND RECOIL SPRING
NORM

thank you. unfortunatly , i have no more money untill i get paid. then that money goes to my rent and car inusrance so it looks like i wont be using it for a while. but hopefully the guy will replace it with another or send me a new trigger guard. he also said it was arsenal refinished , it has some little stampings on it.

i was really happy when i got 4 rounds to fire one after the other , i really like the little pistol , but im not sure if i wanna bet my life with it. hopefully i can work out the bugs. thanks
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Fattie (I love that screen name), not to point the finger of blame at you but were you able to thoroughly clean the pistol before you took it out for a spin? These pistols need a good soaking to get every little bit of cosmoline out! The slightest bit will cause a misque.

This is a great little pistol, you will love it, you made the right choice over the "Jennings" used to be. The P-64 will just need some breaking in. The best advice I can give you is to clean it, clean it again then check it to be sure it is clean then shoot it and clean it. The broken piece should be relatively inexpensive and hopefully the dealer will cover the cost or replace the pistol. If I were you, I'd check on line for the cost including shipping of the part so you can know what you're dealing with when you speak to the gun dealer.

Welcome and good luck. 8-)
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

Welcome fattie. Man I'm really sorry to hear of your unfortunate luck. I'm going to have to go along with carguy on this one. Ya gotta clean these little rascles like crazy before you shoot them. carguy is right about the price of a trigger guard and they are easy to find. Check Norms detail on reinstalling the trigger guard and you will be back in business. :) :)
kempin

Post by kempin »

Thanks, Norm, as usual, for your gunsmithing expertise.

Apparently it is not unheard of for those to break. Is this a fairly common problem? I was unaware.

-Kempin
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Not really a logical follow-up, you're in other "good hands" here with Norm and all--but I believe that "jennings used-to-be" must have been a "Jimenez Arms", no???
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

kempin
out of thousand's of them out there counting this one I have only heard of 6 that broke and maybe 5 or 6 safety's.
the problems is these parts were over harden , I have seen S&W hammers crack in half too, not many but a few from the same reason

steel can be harden to the point that it can be come brittle and shatter like glass

I guess the point I trying to make this can happen to any gun that has harden part's in them

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

fattie,

Welcome aboard, glad to have you with us. Please don't get discouraged over all this, you are in excellent hands with Norm, he will guide you through any and all aspects of repairing your P-64, supper guy to have on your side. He has helped many of us and not just on the P-64 but with many other guns and situations also.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
kempin

Post by kempin »

Thanks, Norm, and good luck Fattie

Terrible bad luck to have with your first p-64, but the pistol really is worth the effort. Good luck to you.

-Kempin
fattie

Post by fattie »

thanks for the help guys. i guess i thought the dealer would have cleaned the gun. i guess may decide to keep it. he did tell me he would give me my money back. ive got another quick question. when the saftey is on and you pull the hammer back , is it suppose to stay cocked or no ?
creature

Post by creature »

No...it shouldnt stay cocked. The safety acts as a decocker.
creature

Post by creature »

btw; if you decide to sell it, can I get first crack at it?