Ammo for the P64

Info, pictures, advice...
rmeron

Ammo for the P64

Post by rmeron »

I was reading the manual that came with my P64,it states that the muzzle velocity is 1017 fps with a 71 gr bullet.
Execpt for the CorBon powerball I've never heard of a 9x18 bullet being that light.

What gives????
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Ammo for the P64

Post by nbender »

That 71-grain statement has been established to be a missprint. The velocity is right but the bullet weight should be 93 - 94-grains.
rmeron

Ammo for the P64

Post by rmeron »

Thanks nbender.
kempin

Ammo for the P64

Post by kempin »

We had a discussion about 18 months or so about this.

In all fairness, the 71 grain statement has been THEORIZED to be a misprint--and reasonably so. I don't think any actual evidence was brought to support that theory other than the fact that no one has found any 71 grain ammo from the 1960s.

Personally, I am inclined to the romantic theory that the p-64 may have been designed for a lighter bullet that was subsequently vetoed by the com-bloc powers that were. That would explain the fact that p-64 is somewhat abusive with a heavier bullet at that speed.

Not important, of course, but personally, I would be very intrigued to see how a somewhat lighter bullet would perform in the p-64. Anyone out there make custom bullet molds?

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
torpeau

Ammo for the P64

Post by torpeau »

Not important, of course, but personally, I would be very intrigued to see how a somewhat lighter bullet would perform in the p-64. Anyone out there make custom bullet molds?
n
The Pow'RBall people claim their 70 gr goes at 1250 fps in 9x18 w/ 242 ft. lbs of energy.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark