1974 P-64 'First shoot'

Info, pictures, advice...
rgbydand

1974 P-64 'First shoot'

Post by rgbydand »

I took my P-64 to the range yesterday and shot it for the first time. As I expected my hairline crack busted through and my safety cracked in half, but I was able to get about 40 rounds through it before then. My ammo order hasnt come in yet, so I paid $18.99 for a box of Winchester (white box) >:(. I have to admit I am shocked at how accurate it was. I'm not that great a shot (so I'd be too embarrased to post target pics), but I'll say it is up there with my Sig P226 9mmPara, and this is from a gun half the size, with a short barrel and less sight radius. It shot better than my CZ-82 and I certainly didnt expect that. I've come to the conclusion that I'd trust my life to this pistol if we had the right to carry here in IL, and I didn't expect that either. This gun really is a perfect inexpensive carry option for those of you in states where it's legal. I'm not recoil sensitive so the definite 'pop' you get with this pistol doesn't bother me physically. As a matter of fact it's a pleasant reminder of how potent the 9mmMak round is. I will though that I am considering a heavier slide spring to take up some recoil for faster target reaquisition on follow up shots. Man that sucker JUMPS even with a tight hold ;D! I'm also thinking about a less powerful mainspring so I can decock and fire it without worrying about busting my replacement safety. Fortunately NORMSUTTON clued me in on another thread, "rotating firing pin", and I had already ordered a replacement (along with a replacement firing pin and pin spring for the other problem the gun was having). When I got home from the range, my wife told me I got a package in, and to my surprise, my stuff had gotten there while I was out at the range. So that evening while cleaning guns, I got my P-64 patched up and ready for action again. Any opinions on mainspring or slide spring replacements?? I'd not like a slidespring wound so tight I cant action the slide by hand, and I'd like to lower that DA triggerpull to something anyone but The Hulk can pull and keep on target (and I'm 6'3"/230lbs with big 'ol ape hands).