New to P64

Info, pictures, advice...
newgunner

New to P64

Post by newgunner »

Hello all! I stumbled on to this forum while looking for info on the P64. I just ordered one through AIM Surplus transfered to my local FFL. They list them as excellent + whatever that means. I've been looking for a small ccw for sometime. Seems like this might be the right one. I've never ordered a pistol over the internet. I don't like not being able to check it out beforehand, sure hope I'm lucky and don't get a POS. I'll keep everyone updated.

By the way cool site!
xelloss

New to P64

Post by xelloss »

Welcome, newgunner!!! There's a great bunch of folks on this forum, and some great info being passed around on these awesome little firearms... I think you'll really like your P-64 when you get it (it really is a great carry piece)... ;D ;D ;D

-Mark
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

New to P64

Post by abwehr »

A BIG Welcome to "newgunner"!!!

You have found the only place that is strictly about the P-64 (well, we do deviate some and that is OK), and you will find a lot of information here on the pistol! We have several distinguished gentlemen from Poland that have a wealth of knowledge on the pistol. Without them, we may never have known some of the information we have today.

As to ordering from AIM Surplus, I think you will be pleased with their service. They always seem to be honest in their descriptions and you will probably receive one with little or NO wear. These are well built pistols that are accurate and have a great SA trigger pull. You have probably read about the heavy DA pull, but that can be corrected.

Once you get the pistol, it will have a light preservative oil on it; clean ALL this off as best you can and re-lube with a quality oil. Some guys use oil only, but I use oil and grease on my firearms. Use what you normally do, but be sure to clean it well first and you will get rid of the years of storage debris that may have collected on it. Please give us an update when you receive the pistol, and in the mean time, read all the posts and get some good background infromation. COme often with questions and answers!!!! Again, WELCOME!
nimble1

New to P64

Post by nimble1 »

A friend just ordered 2 P-64s from Aim after seeing mine. I will let you know how satisfied he is with his guns.
fjblackesq

New to P64

Post by fjblackesq »

Newgunner: Only b ad thing about your first P 64 is you can"t keep from getting another one. I was a "MAKrovnik" until I ordered a P 64 mainly because I visited RADOM, Poland a few years ago. I am now a confirmed P-64er. Good luck and save your $$$$ for the next one. fjblackesq SW FLA (Naples)
tunnelrat

New to P64

Post by tunnelrat »

Newgunner: Only b ad thing about your first P 64 is you can"t keep from getting another one.
Well spoken, sir! These little pistols are nearly as addicting as .44 Special revolvers. I own more than a dozen handguns, but it is the P-64 that keeps fiinding its way into my waistband.
newgunner

New to P64

Post by newgunner »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I’ll let you know the condition of the P-64 when I pick it up from my FFL.

I can't wait to go pick it up, just waiting for him to call me when he receives it.

fjblackesq - I know I started to buy 2 when I ordered mine. My FFL cuts me a really nice deal when doing multiple transfers.
newgunner

New to P64

Post by newgunner »

Picked up the P64 today after work. Can't believe what good shape this pistol is in, it looks brand new! Dated 1973 with thumb rest grips.

Just got finished cleaning it all up and re-oiled everything. Not kidding about the DA pull, ordering the 16lb trigger spring tomorrow and fix that right away. Meanwhile I'm going to the range and see how she runs.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

New to P64

Post by abwehr »

newgunner,

I went to my gun shop a couple of day ago looking for a Second Variation and they only had a 1973 with the triangular hammer. This put it in the Third Variation so I did not buy it. Does yours have the Round or Triangular Hammer? If it is the round Hammer, it is the Second Variation.

Let us know how she runs!
hawkerjim

New to P64

Post by hawkerjim »

cleaning without dissambly:

For years I HAVE USED.BRAKE CLEANER AS ACLEANER AND DEGREASER yOU CAn clean an auto without dissambly quite well. Thorough relube is vital. I have been advised my several
true experts not to routinely dissamble an auto for cleaning.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

New to P64

Post by abwehr »

hawkerjin,

I agree that Brake Cleaner is one of the best ways to clean an automatic. That stuff gets in all the cracks and crevices of the weapon, Iuse it too! Re-lubing is essential to make sure no rust starts and to lubricate all the moving parts. I wish I had an ultrasonic cleaner, but they can get expensive when you need to clean rifles.

As to cleaning an automatic, I do the normal cleaning with the bore, slide, sear, etc after most firings. I only do a full disassembly after many rounds have been fired. Usually, the weapon will tell you when it MUST be cleaned......it won;t funtion 100% anymore.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

New to P64

Post by papabear »

"WELCOME" gunrunner, your in the right place for information,
ideas and suggestions on the P64. I found this forum in Dec 05 because of a bashing the P64 was getting from another gun forum, I now own 3 of these little bangers since coming here. Great for CCW and plinking. A lot if not most don't like the DA pull and have ordered new springs to cut down on the DA pull, and I agree, the DA pull is a bit over bearing for most, however, for me: as a CCW pistol I prefer the heavy DA pull, so I have left mine alone and shoot it in SA only; I prefer the original pistol as is, but to each his own. As has been suggested, there is a ton of help here, and a bunch of good folks here too! Hope to see you here often!!! ;D
POINT SHOOTER