xelloss

Better then a Makarov? Possible

Post by xelloss »

Oh yeah!!! P-83s to add to our collections!!! That would/will rule!!! ;D ;D ;D

-Mark
butch50

Post by butch50 »

My CZAK is a niche gun. It fits the niche of a gun I can easily carry concealed, quality construction, powerful and accurate. It is not much fun to shoot, but it doesn't need to be for this niche.

The Mak is more of a generalist gun - it has all of the above qualities except that it is not as easily concealed, and is more pleasant to shoot.

I prefer my CZAK for concealed carry. I prefer my Mak for plinking.
ozarker

Post by ozarker »

I've had my P64 for almost 2 years now. I searched the web at that time and there was hardly any info on the P64. And most of the Mak folks got a little testee. There is a thread running thru a lot of the posting the last few days saying what I have been trying to say to anyone (Other than a P64 owner) that would listen. I bought mine to carry (CCW) and for that its perfect. And the DA? The trigger will get pulled if it ever necessary. My range firearm is a Ruger P91DC which is in the night stand. And for that it serves very well.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

You know, I always liked the Makarov and the guys on the Mak Forum, but after I found the P-64 and searched the Mak Forum for information I found out that some of the guys were Mak "snobs"! There are a lot of handguns which I don't care for, but it is a personnal thing with me. There is not much wrong with any handgun, but I have my preferences just like others have theirs. I try never to make statements about other firearms that is "global" in my feelings for them. They all have their good points and bad points, and the individual must decide what features they like.

With that said, there are a number of pistols, some of them made in the US, that I would definetly NOT want to purchase! Why, they are cheap and I just don't feel they would be dependable. The same brand of handguns I am speaking of are well liked by others and that is fine with me. I agree with "butch50" that the P-64 is a "niche" handgun.; it is not perfect in all situations, but for me, it is the perfect handgun for carry and plinking. I still shoot my Walthers, Steyrs, SIG, Colt, Mauser, Springfield, P.38s, Lugers, CZs, etc. when I want. Are these handguns perfect for all situations; no, not at all, but the P-64 is close!
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

My CZAK is a niche gun. It fits the niche of a gun I can easily carry concealed, quality construction, powerful and accurate. It is not much fun to shoot, but it doesn't need to be for this niche.

The Mak is more of a generalist gun - it has all of the above qualities except that it is not as easily concealed, and is more pleasant to shoot.

I prefer my CZAK for concealed carry. I prefer my Mak for plinking.
Yup, I had a niche that the Mak just couldn't scratch... ;)
mikethewreck

Post by mikethewreck »

I had a Russian Mak in .380. Nice gun. Didn't mean anything to me. Sold it.

I don't think I'll give up my CZAK...
deadguy

Post by deadguy »

I do not know if it is better than a Mak, as I have never fired a Mak, but I do know that since I installed the PPK hammer spring and the P7 recoil spring that this little pistol has become a favorite of mine. It looks great, and shoots even better. Accuracy with even cheap, home-cast bullets from a cheapie mold is amazing!
nscale

Post by nscale »

You know, I always liked the Makarov and the guys on the Mak Forum, but after I found the P-64 and searched the Mak Forum for information I found out that some of the guys were Mak "snobs"! There are a lot of handguns which I don't care for, but it is a personnal thing with me. There is not much wrong with any handgun, but I have my preferences just like others have theirs. I try never to make statements about other firearms that is "global" in my feelings for them. They all have their good points and bad points, and the individual must decide what features they like.
abwer
I totally agree. I like all handguns. Whether I would spend my money on them is my decision (of course). It seems like some people on the mak site are as happy praising the Mak as they are ragging everything else. They are looking for a gun to hate.
I kinda like anything that shoots. Know what I mean?
k75rt

Post by k75rt »

Hi all! I'm new here but thought I'd chime in on this thread. I have several Makarov pistols as well as the Hungarian P-63 and the Polish P-64; I like all of them. They are all fun to shoot and some are better than others when it comes to quality and ergonomics of the particular arm.....I own a Polish P-83 and it is a wonderful piece of work. The pistol is made of steel stampings that are welded to alleviate excessive machining. This technology was used by the Germans and later the Soviets as early as WW2 and it is still used by such firms as SIG...Here is a picture of my P-83
Last edited by k75rt on January 13th, 2006, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
butch50

Post by butch50 »

That P-83 is a good looking gun. Where do you get them and what do they run?
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

k75rt,

First, A BIG Welcome to the P-64 Forum! There is a great bunch of guys here that are always ready and will to help with any questions. Please take a few minutes and check out the information we have on the site so far. The P-64 had so little information available on other Forum that this one was started by "dickfunk" and it has been a real success. The success is from the members here and in Poland. Our Polish Comrades have been a "well" of information on this and other Polish weapons, and they are very much appreciated!!!!

Thanks for posting the photo of your P-83! That is another great Polish pistol; I sure would like to have one.

You are correct that the manufacture of weapons have certainly changed over the years to steel stamping, molded plastic, investment castings, etc., but a quality pistol CAN be manufactured. As with any mechanical piece of equipment, they do wear out eventually, and if they are manufactured for a low cost, are able, they can be considered disposable for the military. Once a weapon is lost or destroyed, it can be replaced at a low cost.

Personally, I like all steel and machined weapons, but in todays world, the cost would be prohibative, so I have learned that the plastic and cast parts pistols are not bad after all, LOL To me, a handgun must be depedable, with 100% reliability, accurate, chambered for a standard caliber, and I am happy (OK, looks do matter too). The P-64 has everything I like in a handgun. Now, if I could get one of these in .45 ACP, 9mmP, .40 S&W..................
bartos061

Post by bartos061 »

Hi k75rt, Welcome !. I see You have nice P-83. Also I see little difference between Your and polish military variation. If You can send me hi resolution pictures on my e-mail please.
bartos061@interia.pl
Here is something for You and others Happy owners of P-83

As You can see. For example - hammer has different shape

bartos
k75rt

Post by k75rt »

Thank you all for the warm welcome to the forum! This particular Vanad P-83 was imported by a now defunct importer of Polish arms, the company was known as Dalvar of USA. Dalvar had the manufacturer, RADOM make a very small run of P-83 pistols with an altered hammer and "Novak-type" sights, these particular P-83 pistols are known as the P-83 Special Eagle as it has the Majestic Polish Eagle stamped on the slide.
Sadly, it is my understanding that the Radom factory has been closed and no more P-83 piostols are to be made. If I am incorrect on this you guys from Poland please let me know.
bartos061, I wish I could post a better picture but my camera is not capable of high quality pictures. Thank you for the schematic of the P-83.
I found this site formerly run by Dalvar, I'm surprised it is still up. Here is a picture of the Limited run of 200 Special Eagle and the Military version of P-83.
http://www.dalvar.net/guns.html
Last edited by k75rt on January 14th, 2006, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
bartos061

Post by bartos061 »

Thank You K75RT for link. Now I can see differences between variations. This special variation is very similar to P-93 polish pistol.
This is picture of P-93 which is in fact improved variation of P-83

Radom factory still working. Today named "Fabryka Broni" like before WWII.

bartos
Last edited by bartos061 on January 14th, 2006, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.