Off Topic

Info, pictures, advice...
kempin

Off Topic

Post by kempin »

OK guys, my p-64 is working so well that there is not much to say about it, but I do have another mystery on my hands. Since I heard some of you talking about a .45, I thought I would share my puzzle with you.

I have a Rock Island 1911 .45 (In part because I was talked into it by members of this board about two years ago.)

I LOVE it. It is a great pistol for the price. Shoots well and functions great, with one exception. Sometimes--not always--the last round in the magazine will not chamber.

No problem. I kept shooting until it broke in, and it got better, but this problem remained.

I bought a new Novacs mag, thinking that the spring might be weak. No fix.

I thought I might be seating my bullets a little too far out and causing it to jam, so I adjusted them a bit. All of these things seemed to make a difference, but nothing solved it.

Just the other day I was at the range, shooting some of my first cast bullets through it (thank you very much!) and on one occasion, I fired the second last bullet, and the last cartridge popped right out of the pistol and landed on the bench.

This makes me think that the cartridge has not been "jamming" at all, but that the cartridge is actually popping out of the magazine, and then not chambering. (The extractor on a 1911 will not "jump" over the rim as in other pistols.)

Any thoughts? Any of you encounter this before? Most importantly, any ideas on how to deal with it?

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic

Post by trent »

I am not even close to an expert but Here's my tips.

are these standard 7 rounders or are they higher cap?

I'd try tapping the mag on something after you loaded it to make sure everything is in a line (it couldn't hurt).

I had a problem after I parked my mag where the follower wouldn't push the slide lock up after I was empty. it turns out because I didn't oil the inside of the mag the dry park caused too much drag on the spring and the follower wouldn't extend all the way. so maybe using a little oil on a q-tip you could spread a little on the inside. (couldn't hurt as well.)

and how does your feed ramp look?
Last edited by trent on January 26th, 2008, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic

Post by blinddog »

Hey kempin, I have had the same problem with my .45 and believe it or not some times the configuration of the foot (for lack of a better word) can make a difference. My Springfield will not feed the last round unless I use a clip with the right configuration. Check the ones you have and go to the gun shop and purchase one of a different configuration and try that. It may well be your problem.
kempin

Off Topic

Post by kempin »

Thanks for the replies.

blinddog, that it an interesting idea. I assume you are talking about the part of the mag that pushes the cartridges up, and you are right. Both mags have the same configuration. I will look for a simple milspec mag or one with a different floorplate and see if that will make a difference.

-Kempin
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Off Topic

Post by blinddog »

kempin, I hope it works for you, it did me but all firearms have a different presonality!!