C&R License

Info, pictures, advice...
bobtx

C&R License

Post by bobtx »

Well I just took the plunge and sent off my paperwork to the BATF for my C&R License. I stopped by the PD on the way to the Post Office to give the Chief his copy. We ended up talking pistols for about twenty minutes. It is sure nice to be in a small town where all the cops know how to shoot and actually like guns!!

Bob
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

C&R License

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Bobtx, Congratulations.
Every time I think about getting a C&R License I stop and remember how much money I spend on guns already.
I guess I will leave the curio and relic stuff to you fellows who can exert superior self discipline.
G.R. :(
bobtx

C&R License

Post by bobtx »

Yeh, right............... ;D
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

C&R License

Post by papabear »

bobtx,

Congratulations Bob, I have thought about it many times myself, but each time I do I talk myself out of it. For reasons I won't divulge here, but suffice to say that I don't like to keep records for others than myself. A C&R is a convenient thing for buying guns via the internet and if you are out of state and find something you want. However, some dealers today won't honor or send to a C&R holder if the weapon uses modern ammo, ie., .38 spec for a S&W Victory Model, CZ 82 even though it is listed as a C&R for just a couple examples. I'm not condemning C&R licenses at all, I am just saying for me, I like to do things the old fashion way. I believe in giving to Caesar things that are Chaser's, but I won't give the old fart my guns, at least not voluntary.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

C&R License

Post by himmel »

+1 withPapa--that is the thing that has kept me from more seriously considering a C&R--the record-keeping biz (not keeping the records so much as who the records are being kept for). Still, I have been sorely tempted...
drogers

C&R License

Post by drogers »

I have had my C&R for about 15 months. Many suppliers give you discounts. The record keeping is minimal, I don't think it takes over a minute to record the purchase with the required information. I think you will enjoy the freedom to purchase many guns directly, remember pistols are easier to conceal from the wife than rifles.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

C&R License

Post by papabear »

drodgers,

It's not the amount of time it takes to log in a C&RE purchase I was talking about, its like himmel said, its who you are keeping the log for. Do you tell your wife about every gun you buy......well that is your business and not mine, but the same principal applies.

I'm not trying to start anything here, I'm just exercising my $0.02 worth, and as a citizen of the Commonwealth of Kentucky of which I am a Kentucky Colonel, I can legally buy and sell, to and from another private citizen from Kentucky any legal firearm without any paperwork, and that is what I meant by not keeping records for others besides myself. If I go out of state, I carry copies of a FFL license from my local dealer with me for purchases outside of KY, He charges me a whopping $10 usually for such transactions, but he has to keep the paper work not me. Huh, I'm to old now to change my ways, but I do understand where you and many others are coming from. That is what still makes this country great, we have a choice today, the way things are going we may not have the same choices tomorrow, but for today, we have choices. They will have to dig deep to find all that I have.

papabear
Last edited by papabear on January 11th, 2008, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
bobtx

C&R License

Post by bobtx »

I understand what y'all are saying, but I guess I feel that if it comes to that we will all be sniping from the trees and have tragically had all our weapons and ammunition stolen?!?.......

........oops, did I say that? :-[

Bob
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

C&R License

Post by normsutton »

BOB

I have had my C&R for about a year now and love it , sure maid me a lot poorer though but gun rich

maybe next one will be my full FFL don't know yet

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
drogers

C&R License

Post by drogers »

Papabear
The log that I keep is never submitted to anyone. It is kept for BATF if they ever wish to visit me and check on my purchases. If I let the license lapse I do not have to submit my logs either. This trade off is acceptable to me for the convenience and savings it offers. I understand that others may choose not to.
Don
saands

C&R License

Post by saands »

It's nice to be in a free state - fortunately there are still many. In the unfortunate states like CA, MA, NY, IL, etc, having a 03FFL can result in LESS paperwork, not more. For those folks, BATF is actually the gun owner's best ally. Like so many things in life, it is all a matter of perspective. I figured it out once that my FFL in South Carolina, because he'd say "Nah, you paid for the last one this one's free" often enough, charged me an average of about $4 per transfer from out of state ... He made it pretty difficult to shop at any of the other shops!

Saands
saands

C&R License

Post by saands »

I should add that having that kind of relationship with an FFL is just as hard on the bank account as having your own 03FFL ... maybe even worse!

Saands
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

C&R License

Post by carguy »

Saands hit the nail on the head for me! The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts has an approved list for handguns that can be sold or transfered through an FFL so a C&R has made it soooooo much easier to enjoy the plethora (big word for volfandan) of milsurp psitols on the market.

And it is pretty convenient to have it delivered to my front door too ! Except when you buy from an idiot that packs a rifle and discloses to "no one" that it is a firearm...so the big brown truck driver just drops it on my front steps and leaves! It just so happened to show up at the same time, on the same truck with a delivery of ammo for that particular rifle that was marked...no signature required. So a rifle and 200 rounds of ammo in separate boxes sat there all afternoon! :'(
volfandan

C&R License

Post by volfandan »

we southern folk like the big words!
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

C&R License

Post by grayfox »

I think its great if someone wants a C&R. I won't get one because the way I trade& sell from time to time, I'd get in troube if they wanted to check my records. Thats what I like about Knob Creek, privite sales, no record...no paperwork. Hell, everyone needs a throw-down. ;)