Way to carry

Info, pictures, advice...
ourbigbluehouse

Way to carry

Post by ourbigbluehouse »

It was suggested to me after my inaccuracy with the first double action shot that I carry mine decocked with the safety off. Then when it is drawn pull back the hammer. Does anyone carry this way? What is the way you carry?
redfestiva

Way to carry

Post by redfestiva »

ourbigbluehouse
I carry my P-64 with a round in the chamber , 6 in the magazine and the safety off. When I am ready to fire I simply cock the hammer back and I have 7 ready to go. No more dangerous than carrying a fully loaded revolver.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Way to carry

Post by trent »

I carry mine the same way.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Way to carry

Post by beasleydano »

Me too.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Way to carry

Post by anjdrifter »

me three
tripper

Way to carry

Post by tripper »

Me four. But I find that cocking the itti-bitty hammer is not that easy, specially in a crisis situation. I don't know about the triangle hammer because I have the round one.

I'm practicing with the two-handed grip and two-index-finger pull for the first DA shot. I find this to be a lot quicker than cocking the hammer. And, I'm sure more accurate than a one-finger DA shot...if you can even do that.

When I cock the hammer, I have to remember to place my trigger finger outside the trigger guard due to the extremely sensitive nature of the SA pull. Because of short grip and the distance of the trigger guard, sometimes I find my index finger in contact with the trigger. I'd rather it go BANG when I want it to than go OOPS.

Just my two cents.
redfestiva

Way to carry

Post by redfestiva »

Me four. But I find that cocking the itti-bitty hammer is not that easy, specially in a crisis situation.
Correct, it's not that easy to pull that hammer back and for me that's a good thing because it reassures me that there's no way it's accidently getting cocked. It's not coming back unless I PULL it back.
Last edited by redfestiva on December 19th, 2007, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
donnerwetter58

Way to carry

Post by donnerwetter58 »

I'm another that carries one in the tube with the hammer down and safety off. As redfestiva said, it's like a double action revolver....just pick it up and pull the trigger. I sometimes carry a revolver so a double action pistol is a natural fit. With a pistol, I don't want to have to fool with safeties, racking the slide, or cocking the hammer and such. It is the keep it simple approach. A double action, whether a wheelgun or semiauto, takes a deliberate action to fire the gun. I feel safe with that. Double action is an absolute must for any self defense gun I will carry.
The P-64 has a pretty heavy double action pull. A lighter hammer spring makes that first double action shot a bit easier but too light leaves you with an unreliable gun due to light firing pin strikes.
All that being said, does anyone have balls enough to carry a loaded Glock in their pocket? Just curious as so many people think the Glock is the only way to go.
weetabix

Way to carry

Post by weetabix »

I carry mine that way, too. I changed springs, though, so the DA isn't so horrible.

I'd read somewhere that the Walther PPK isn't safe to carry this way because of something in the sear/hammer arrangement. Now I know that the CZAK was designed from the ground up and any similarities to the PPK are purely coincidental, but does anyone know if there's a chance of a discharge on drop with the P-64?
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Way to carry

Post by trent »

I've tried putting a pencil in the barrel and hitting the hammer while it was down and dropping the hammer before it was fully cocked to see if it would launch the pencil and it did not for mine. but I believe someone else tried it and it worked for them.

About a week ago, I walked into the house and noticed that the front door was open. I drew and immediately cocked the hammer without even flinching (it was just automatic, the gun was cocked before I even got it away from my side) I proceeded to clear the house, as it turns out the last person leaving that day did not close the door all the way (much less lock it) and the wind blew it open.

I took that as a real test of my ability to draw and cock the hammer quickly and safely. And now I am much more comfortable carrying my Czak.

Of course doing that while receiving incoming fire is something TOTALLY different, but that's not one I really want to test unless absolutely necessary.
butch50

Way to carry

Post by butch50 »

I carry in my right hand trouser pocket, one in the tube, safety on. I have no problem at all taking the safety off while it is still in my pocket. With it in my pocket I can stand anywhere with the pistol in my hand with the safety flipped off and simply look like a guy standing there with his hand in his pocket - no one will notice a thing. You just can't do that with any other carry method that I know of. This lets you be ready when you are in suspicious circumstances.

I would not even think of trying to go SA during an emergency situation - adrenalin will have kicked in and you will lose most of your fine motor skills, and fumble around and lose time, or even possibly fire it when you don't intend to - the SA is pretty light on this pistol.

Conversely the adrenalin will make the DA pull feel like a hair trigger no matter how tough it is to pull, and you are not nearly as likely to make a mis-step that way.

One other thing, I sincerely doubt that in an emergency situation your accuracy between SA and DA will be significant - it is one thing to measure an inch or two of difference on a target, it is something else entirely when in a life or death situation. As long as you can hit center mass, you are doing all that you really can do - unless you are the coolest cookie in the universe :-*. Just check out the statistics on how often trained cops miss their target entirely.
Last edited by butch50 on December 19th, 2007, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Way to carry

Post by trent »

good point Butch, I hadn't taken adrenaline into concideration
butch50

Way to carry

Post by butch50 »

You do want to keep the adrenaline surge in mind. I wish there was an effective way to train under an adrenaline rush, but there just isn't one. Adrenaline washes away your fine motor skills, and thinking ability, at the same time. Since you can't really train under adrenaline situations, the next best thing is to train yourself to do the absolute minimum moves necessary, and keeping those moves simple as possible. Here are some eye opening statistics about real life shooting - remember that these shooters are trained and trained and trained and trained, and if they shot like this on the range they wouldn't qualify to carry a gun.

This study shows how often the police in New York City miss when shooting at various distances during the stress of actual confrontations with criminals. Even within a range of 6 feet or less, the police miss more often than they hit -- 57 percent of the shots at that distance miss and 43 percent hit. As you might expect, there are even fewer hits at longer distances. At 75 feet -- which is less than the distance from first base to second base -- only 7 percent of the shots hit.

Over half missed shots at 6 feet By Trained Police Officers!! Adrenaline will do that to you, and you are likely to be even worse than they are under stress.

Here is a link to the source of this information: http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 14/OPINION
Last edited by butch50 on December 20th, 2007, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
torpeau

Way to carry

Post by torpeau »

Over half missed shots at 6 feet By Trained Police Officers!! Adrenaline will do that to you, and you are likely to be even worse than they are under stress.
I have to think that the mere appearance of a pistol may be enough to scare away a BG. If that isn't enough, one or two shots that missed would show how serious you were and probably send them packing. A small pistol would probably cause a little less fear than a 1911, but it would be easier to carry and more accessible.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Way to carry

Post by himmel »

I carry my CZAK "me too, me three, and me four"...decocked, safety off, chambered round--my other two "carry guns" have "push down" safeties, I don't want to get confused and try to push the P-64 safety down too..