How many have a CHL?

Info, pictures, advice...
bartoszsitarski

How many have a CHL?

Post by bartoszsitarski »

I have had my CCW in AZ for about 6 months. I got it for two main reasons.

1) With a CCW, there is no NICS check when purchasing firearms. I would ALWAYS come back delayed due to my immigration status. They always have to check with the INS to make sure that my docs are legit.

2) I used to carry open and it just freaked people out too much. I would always get stares and i figured it was an invitation for some punk to start some stuff. I want to protect myself as well as my family.

I carry a P64 and one of my Makarovs.
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)
bobtx

How many have a CHL?

Post by bobtx »

I have had mine since they first were issued in Texas in 1996. I carry a Kahr K40 Elite.

Bob

Last edited by bobtx on December 23rd, 2007, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

How many have a CHL?

Post by beasleydano »

bobtx
Nice rig! Welcome to the forum. San Antonio is a great city. I hope to visit soon.
jakub66

How many have a CHL?

Post by jakub66 »

Got mine 3 months ago. Never had to use it, hoping never to have to.
Hope for the best, prepare for worst.
Like papabear I caried before, wife's nagging got me to go legit .
After recent incidents, she makes sure I'm with her each time she goes to the mall.
dwd

How many have a CHL?

Post by dwd »

I got my permit for a different reason than most here. I carry a Thompson Encore pistol in a shoulder holster when I hunt and I wear a heavy coat over it when it is cold. And I don't take it off much like when I go into the coffee shop or convenience store where there is usually a lot of law enforcement. I've never been checked but I want to be prepared if they do wanna get pissy.
After I got the permit I started carrying when the wife and I go out. I was surprised how much confidence it gave me. My wife is a very trusting person, maybe too trusting in todays society and rather than try to change her, I just wanted to be prepared for a bad situation. And the kids, I hate for them to grow up not trusting everybody, some of the nicest people I know were strangers at one point.
Right now I carry a Walther p22 and I have a 5 shot Taurus revolver that used to carry. But I haven't found the "perfect" carry weapon. Which is why I found this message board. I am considering getting a Makarov or P-64 or a FEG PA 63 for a carry weapon.
[url=http://drugstore-onlinecatalog.com/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]
commandercob

How many have a CHL?

Post by commandercob »

My wife and I each got our permits about 8 months ago, but never carry. I know I know, it's not safe out there but where we spend all our time it is against the law. We are students at a university (illegal), we go to Wal-Junk (illegal), and my wife substitute teaches (illegal). We live in a small town, but it isn't the safest place on earth. We got our permits because we sometimes work in oil fields miles away from any town near the border. Very flat country. It's a shame that we can't carry on the university because that is where all the riff-raff hang out and bomb threats occur.

Overall I have mixed feelings about CCW in New Mexico. We must take a refresher course every 4 years, and qualify with the highest caliber we carry. We cannot carry backup guns, and can't carry in New Mexico State Parks. Laws also just changed about alcohol establishments, we can carry in stores that sell alcohol, but not establishments that serve alcohol.

CCW saved the life of a woman in Albuquerque who was being stabbed in Wal-Crap when a 76 year old man pulled his gun and shot the assailant. To my knowledge it is the only time a permitted individual has used a gun in the state, but our local stores ban concealed guns... go figure.
dwd

How many have a CHL?

Post by dwd »

I wish my wife would get a CCW. I am of the opinion that a handgun is the ultimate equalizer for the weaker sex. And It wasn't until I took the required course for CCW that I realize the practicality of it. What if I am in a car accident? I can't take the weapon to the hospital, somebody needs to take it home and she is the only one that is always with me. Sometimes I think it would be more convenient, especially in the summertime, if she carried the weapon in her purse.
Carrying has made me a better person. I don't drink when I am carrying and I don't go in places that serve. But I do carry in schools(not supposed to) and stores even if they post not to. I just don't show it.
I wish it were more in style to carry. Then people wouldn't get upset when they see a gun. THEN I think that you would see even more crime deterred by CCW.
butch50

How many have a CHL?

Post by butch50 »

When I first started carrying my wife looked at me kind of funny, but didn't say anything.

Now when we go out, she generally asks me if I am carrying - she feels better when I am.
bearhands

How many have a CHL?

Post by bearhands »

I've had my CCW (CHL, LTC) here in Pa for about 6 months now. Mostly because I hunt w/ my pistol and somewhat because of some local robberies in the area. (Hard to believe in the sticks, but true). I carry and hunt with a S&W Model 19 357 most of the time, but now since i've gotten this neat PA-63, I'm sure it'll find holster time this summer. :)
reprisejim

How many have a CHL?

Post by reprisejim »

Wow, New Mexico sounds harsh! In Minnesota, many of the same restrictions apply. We can however carry into an establishment serving alcohol providing we don't drink over half the legal limit of non-carrying people, we can basically ignore establishments that "ban guns" being that we have to be told to leave those establishments verbally along with the sign. Schools are a no, daycares are a no, etc...

I would also like it if my wife got here carry permit. There have been times when I would have liked to tip another one back and could have passed her the gun being that she does not drink. I also (and primarily) would like to her get one for protection. There are too many goof balls out there and you never know where you will be attacked or by who. I also think that all that can get a carry permit should to support the cause. The more good people carrying the better.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

How many have a CHL?

Post by grayfox »

I've posted before but a good point was brought up. My wife has her ccw and carries all the time. If we go out to eat and I want a beer with my food, she keeps hers & mine stays in the car. We also do a lot of Mt. bike riding & then we both carry a .32 Kel-Tec (light & lil). After years in LEO, my carry gun is a P-64, best gun I have found in a long time. I love my .45s & 357, 9mm, ect....but at times they are just to big the way I dress. The P-64 will get er done. (stole that from Papabear). ;D
dwd

How many have a CHL?

Post by dwd »

RepriseJim makes a good point "all that can get a carry permit should to support the cause." because as politics change we might lose the privilege of ccw but if there are over 100,000 permits issued in your state that would be hard to ignore. So, even if you don't intend to carry, get one for rest of us.
Someday somebody is going to make a mistake with their ccw gun and the bean counters will distort the statistics but the more permits there are the harder it will be for them to make a case.
primarchbentley

How many have a CHL?

Post by primarchbentley »

Kind of an older post to dig back up, but here's a link I thought some of ya'll might find interesting: http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/20/cnnu.guns/index.html

The University of Utah has tried to fight this in court a few times, but the Utah Supreme Court has given them no quarter... :P ;D
deltacornbread

How many have a CHL?

Post by deltacornbread »

Not sure. Was not too long after Arkansas passed a shall issue law. Reminds me, I have tried to get wife to get one. Need to remind her. To me having a CCW permit is like buying insurance for car,home or whatever. You pay those premiums and hope you never have to make a claim. I carry and hope I never have to use weapon, but it is there just in case.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

How many have a CHL?

Post by blinddog »

Got mine, carry when I think I need to and that is quite often. Use to cary a Tarus .32 H&R magnum wheel gun,but The P-64 is my main carry now. :) (I like It!!!)