can someone explain this to me?
are there certain dates?
etc>>>
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

round hammer, pointy hammer???

Post by beasleydano »

Round hammer on early models, triangular hammer on later models, change was 1972 if I am not mistaken. Military training regimen on this heavy double action was to cock the hammer and fire single action, which is easier to do with triangular hammer.
gotmak

Post by gotmak »

Thanks for the info, for I to am real new to the P-64. Would the round hammer be better off left alone, or can it be swapped to the later triangle for better ergonomic function?
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Round hammer on early models, triangular hammer on later models, change was 1972 if I am not mistaken. Military training regimen on this heavy double action was to cock the hammer and fire single action, which is easier to do with triangular hammer.
+ 1 with beasleydano, generally speaking the hammer change came in '72, however, there is a much earlier post I believe here on the Modifications, Fixes, and Repairs, that discusses changing out the hammers on a '68 model and a '74 model. I mention this because we have found other models earlier than 1972 that had the round hammer on them and were from the importer not from individuals which at that time lead us to believe that some if not many of the P-64 were armored from re-arsonaled P-64's, but generally speaking, the hammer change from the round hammer to the triangular hammer took place in '72.

Note: This is a updated version of our site here that has info on the P-64 thanks to Dick Funk, owner of this site.

http://p64resource.com/

papabear
Last edited by papabear on December 9th, 2007, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

Other than the hammer shape, are there any major differences between these 2 versions that cause you to buy one or the other?
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

if you are looking for a particular year (year of birth or an historical event) or in carguy's case they are one in the same
arex

Post by arex »

Other than the hammer shape, are there any major differences between these 2 versions that cause you to buy one or the other?
Based on things that I've read, the old round hammer style might be better for concealed-carry, since the round would be less likely to snag when you draw. I've no real-world info to back this up, however.

Hnngh.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

round hammers have a little longer firing pin
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage