How do you clean your P64

Info, pictures, advice...
raypol

Post by raypol »

I suppose everyone cleans their pistol after a few thousand rounds. What do you clean with and what do you use for rust prevention both for carrying and storing.

jpb
mongo

Post by mongo »

Hoppes #9

I use some Milspec weapons oil I brought back with me after Iraq. spray on stuff.

I use carnuba wax on blued weapons and motor oil on parkerized weapons..

Valvoline 30 weight.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

I clean after each shooting session; a clean weapon is a dependable weapon!

I have used Hoppes #9, but currently using a Military bore cleaner that works great. After cleaning I use a combination of oil and grease. The oil is a Milspec lubricant for the fire control parts, and the grease (a German military machine gun grease) is for sliding surfaces like the slide, etc. In the summer, I use another German high temperature, Barium Soap based grease. On the outside finish I use Clenzoil; this is a great surface protectant.

I normally wipe the outside surface every day or two. For my "Safe Queen" firearms, the Clenzoil lasts a Looong time; usually a twice a year check and wipe.

On my MG42 and 1919A4 Browning, I use synthetic motor oil and Castrol Wheel Bearing Grease. Matter of fact, the Castrol Grease works great in pistols too as long as you thin is a little with other oil (winter for sure).
xelloss

Post by xelloss »

I use Sweet's 7.62 for solvent and Shooter's Choice FP10 for lubricant with a little bit of grease... I've been using this combo for years now, and it always gives good results... Remoil, however, has only dissappointed me... :( :( :( Breakfree CLP is okay stuff (does a good job protection-wise), but doesn't stay where you put it like FP10 does... I've NEVER had any rust on a gun I've used FP10 on, and I own over 50 firearms... ;D ;D ;D

-Mark
hawkerjim

Post by hawkerjim »

Cleaning without dissambly.

For years I have used brake cleaner to clean and degrease my guns. the metel surface is very clean so re-lubing is vital. Stuff dries quickly. I have been advised by tru experts not to routinely dissamble an auto for cleaning. I like M1 grease and Cleansoil for re-lube.
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

For years I have used brake cleaner to clean and degrease my guns. the metel surface is very clean so re-lubing is vital. Stuff dries quickly. I have been advised by tru experts not to routinely dissamble an auto for cleaning.
I have used brake cleaner in the past. Currently, I'm experimenting with a can of Break Free that seems to be doing the job. Then I follow up with a spray of the CLP. Frankly, I prefer using Mobile One as a lube, but I am giving the CLP a shot to see how it works.

I have never heard about not routinely disassembling an auto for cleaning. However, I try to remain open to the advice of a "tru expert". Can you provide the names of some of these experts, or perhaps reference some of their books or magazine articles? I would be interested in what they have to say.
p64

Post by p64 »

Every thousand rounds or so a teardown and foaming bore cleaner.
Every trip to the range, field strip, clean and lube.
Every week, even if not fired, bore snake and lube.
Hoppes #9 and Hoppes gun oil.

First thing I did on purchasing was tear down, scrub, clean and lube very thoroughly.
I'm a believer in a clean weapon.
hawkerjim

Post by hawkerjim »

Tunnelrat

Don't want to give out this elderly lgentlemen's name but he was the firearms instructor and I believe did some armorer type work for the state police.

He participated in handgun competition for years and is a bigtime gun collector.

He has been my S&W mentor for years.

Hawkerjim
hawkerjim

Post by hawkerjim »

Removing minor imperfections in factory grips.

Get a good metal polish; Flitz, McGuires. Apply by hand or bufferor with electric drill with buffer.

Wax with a good automotive carnuba wax; McGuires.

For deeper scratches try 1500-2000 Wet sandpaper followed by the above.

I wax the whole exterior of the gun. It's a personal thing. Believe it or not this doesn't make it slippery.

Hawkerjim
hawkerjim

Post by hawkerjim »

Re. OIL

As long as everybody is touting their favorite oil,mine is Clenzoil,1-800-oilitup,www.Clenzoil.com.

What a great website!!!

New springs work great!!!

Hawkerjim
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

I use Clenzoil myself for the past 12 years to prevent rust, this stuff is great! It is also useful for light lubricating, but grease is still my favorite lubricant. For long term storage I use RIG grease lightly wiped on all the surfaces.
bkiles

Post by bkiles »

my Dad got me to using Break Free. It cleans and oils all at once. I have used it for a while now and really like it.
nimble1

Post by nimble1 »

I bought a large bottle of milspec Breakfree CLP many years ago and still using it. I use Tetra teflon grease on moving or bearing surfaces. This has worked well for me in humid south Fla. for many years. I have been thinking about a wax for my carry P-64 as the oil does rub off. A was that many collectors use for protection is called Ren-Wax. Can be used on all surfaces for protection. Only problem is, its expensive.