NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Where is everyone from?

Post by garry »

Yes Yes !!! Thank You ! I was off a long way there! I read from a site that said similar things, I just misunderstood it. I am now clear on the issue, point noted, Thanks , G
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Where is everyone from?

Post by carguy »

Speaking of the Alamo...when I was in San Antonio I had the chance to tour it as part of a "Scavanger Hunt"...how di John Wayne and all those famous patriots hold off Santa Anna as long as they did??? I think my house is bigger than the Alamo. I was shocked that it is such a tiny mission and right smack dab in the middle of the city. You think they would have made it more of a national shrine and had more land available around it. I loved that city just too damn HOT! Maybe it was the A$$HOLE VP thaht organized everything and we had to wear black comoany shirts, black company hats and no shorts for a hour or so trot around the city! Then we eat out doors...I don;t know what smelled worse some of the texmex food or all of us!!

But later at the pool with a bathtub full of beer and tequila made it all worth while!! ::)
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Where is everyone from?

Post by normsutton »

carguy

they way I understand it is that's the chapel that is lift standing and the town was built around it

did my AIT at FT SAM , I love SAN ANTONIO

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Where is everyone from?

Post by nbender »

The Alamo is a pretty moving visit. At the time of the battle it was in ruins - the roof had fallen in and the famous front with the rounded architecture didn't exist. All of the Hollywood images of the Alamo are completely incorrect. There was a low-walled perimeter that doesn't exist anymore.

I don't think the defenders really "held off" Santa Anna. When he made the decision to take the place he did in short order.

The defenders were amazingly brave. Some 180 - 250 men looking at a well supplied army of thousands.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Where is everyone from?

Post by carguy »

So in all likelyhood it was a much bigger complex than stands today? If so that makes a little more sense and I do understand that they held off for as long as they could and when the decision was made to end this conflict Santa Anna had no problem overrunning the mission.

A very cool piece of history and again a really beautiful city.
searcher36

Where is everyone from?

Post by searcher36 »

I'm from the great frozen north better known as Minnesota..lol
doyle

Where is everyone from?

Post by doyle »

I'm from the great frozen north better known as Minnesota..lol
I think Minnesota is an old indian word meaning "my nuts are freezing, but at least it's warmer than Canada".
searcher36

Where is everyone from?

Post by searcher36 »

[/quote]I think Minnesota is an old indian word meaning "my nuts are freezing, but at least it's warmer than Canada".[/quote]

I'm only about 100 miles from the border so any further north and I would be in Canada..lol
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Where is everyone from?

Post by blinddog »

Hey Gunnyrabbit, It looks like I may be on my way back to Rosburg. Spousal unit is looking at housing to purchase and a friend of ours is running around to check out all of the homes she has found. He is looking as I write!!!! Not that I don't like Miss. but I am almost sure that this is where all bad people are sent when they die. Go Ducks!!!:)
gotmak

Where is everyone from?

Post by gotmak »

:'( Sorry! I thought I had put in, but I don't see it so I am from Indy, the home of the World Champion Indianapolis Colts. GO COLTS!!!
breilley

Where is everyone from?

Post by breilley »

Arizona!
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Where is everyone from?

Post by carguy »

:'( Sorry! I thought I had put in, but I don't see it so I am from Indy, the home of the World Champion Indianapolis Colts. GO COLTS!!!
You mean the 7 and 1 Colts...right.

In case you weren't sure...I'm from Boston home of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Patriots and 7 time World Series Champion Red Sox!

Does Indianapolis have a baseball team? ::) LOL Sorry I couldn't let that bright blue lettering go unabashed, especially since the Pats played like such crap and still beat the Colts today. See you inthe playoffs!!! 8-)
Last edited by carguy on November 4th, 2007, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coaster

Where is everyone from?

Post by coaster »

The Atomic city Los Alamos NM
gotmak

Where is everyone from?

Post by gotmak »

Hey Carguy! Just saw your post.:P :P :P :-* ;D